Trauma Heater CB4

Peakunder

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I’ve looked at the on-line 2011 Swift Handbook and I assume your Bolero has a Truma Combi 4E combination air/water heater. However, I’m not sure what the “boost heating on electric hook up” is that you don’t have.

As far as I can see from the Handbook, the Combi 4E fitted by Swift in 2011 had the traditional pair of rotary-dial control-switches. A 4E can be operated in gas-only mode, in 230V-only mode, or in ‘mixed’ mode on 230V plus gas. The different ‘modes’ are selected via one of the two control-switches.

I seems that you can heat water and/or air when the heater is in gas-only mode, but I’m not clear if you can heat water and/or air in 230V-only mode or whether the ‘no boost’ problem only occurs when the heater is in ‘mixed’ mode.

Operating Instructions for earlier 4E heaters are here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34020_29300.pdf

and you may be able to spot something that might help.

Probably your best bet, though, would be to phone the technicians at Truma(UK) and describe the issue in detail.

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/home/directions-trumauk.php

when the Combi runs on gas, it gives the impression of 'boost' due to the much higher fan speed than when on electric only.....this is a direct result of the differing amounts of heat produced with the different power sources.

operating on electric only will seem a little limp....

the later CP Plus versions allow more control over the fan speed, even on lower power outputs.

If Peakunder is merely observing that, when air-heating is selected, a Combi 4E’s blown-air fan does not run as fast when the heater is operating on 230V rather than on gas, then (as you point out) that’s perfectly normal.

However, in 230V/gas mixed mode there is a sort of ‘boost’ feature as described in the Operating Instructions

"– With mixed operation, 230 V electrical operation is preferred if the power requirement is low (e.g. for maintaining the room temperature). The gas burner is not enabled until the power requirement is higher, and is the first to switch off during heat-up operations.”

Assuming that Peakunder is aware of this behaviour and the Combi 4E heater in the Bolero used to switch gas-burner operation in and out when in mixed mode but no longer does, something is causing this change (eg. a PCB fault).

Archived