WEBASTO ADVICE

NINOT

Hallo,

I intend to install Webastio 2kw heater in the van. The bed is in the back and runs lengthwise which means the unit will be right under the bed. There are two models available 2000STC universal and 2000STC RV. The difference seems to be in the silencer in RV model. Is this such a big difference? I was told that the universal model is "little noisy to start" and not so much afterwards. Of course the universal model is much cheaper https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehicle-heater-kits-c1/2kw-air-heaters-c2/webasto-m2#t461:t463.

Also there is 2000ST which is a model prior to this one which can be purchased fairly cheap (universal not RV) I would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Thanks

I think you have answered your own question really. Just how much noise can you put up with? I've had expirence with diesel Webasto heaters and they are not the quietest thou they have improved over the years. The older ones were always fitted under the vehicle, coaches etc and could wake the dead when they fired up. A friend fitted one in a mk2 Land Rover and you couldn't hear it at all but you couldn't hear anything else either apart from noise coming from the engine. I have a gas Propex in my pop top camper and that can create some noise but I get used to it after a couple of days or so. It's really down to how much you can afford plus will you wish you had bought the quiet but more expensive one later on.

I have a Chausson 610 with a Webasto heater - the 4 or 5 Kw version. This is mounted externally under the van, with a shroud to deflect worst of the road detritus. The installation includes both intake air and exhaust silencers, and the unit is almost silent in operation externally - just a light purr that can only be heard when you get close up, even whilst warming up. It is probably a bit quieter than the Truma Combi 4 exhaust on my last van.

Unfortunately it is fitted with an extremely noisy circulation fan, so noise levels inside the van are higher than the Combi 4 - particularly when it is "wound up" to heat the van from cold. And the fuel pump is also intrusive - a continuous "tick-tick-tick" of variable frequency, depending on the heater output. I had a look under the van & found that the pump is mounted in a rubber sleeve & has the "quietening elbow hoses" fitted on both sides as is recommended, but the noise is enough to wake me up if the heater comes on during the night. The 610 has a drop-down bed & my head is right above the heater & even though the heater & pump are externally mounted it is still intrusive. The 2Kw you are proposing to fit heater may have a quieter fan, but the fuel pump still works on the same principle. The electrical starting load is high enough to get the van Led lighting flashing while the glow pin is energised, even on mains hook-up.

While the unit does produce a lot of heat, it also seems a bit greedy on diesel - overall I would prefer another gas Combi in my next van & a Webasto fitment would be an offputting feature.

Nigel B

Archived