Window screens

kelly58

We have just bought our 1st motorhome and are enjoying learning how to use it .On our 1st weekend trip to basically sort everything out , a bit of a learnng curve really we were supprised how much the inside of the cab windows got condensated up. We did notice that some of the other motorhomes parked near us had wrap around window covers to help insulate the glass area. Do these covers help to stop the inside of the glass getting wet through and are they worth buying if so where would be the best place to purchase them from.

thanks happy new tear to you all kelly ;-)

External Silver Screens are very good for insulating the outside of the glass and keeping it nearer to the inside temperature. Used them on my Pampas Nevada for the eighteen years that I owned it, have not got round to buying one for my latest van. Main disadvantage, taking it down and stowing away when it is raining. :'(

*-) :-) would not be without our silverscreen (made somewhere in deepest Yorkshire), cool in summer, warm in winter, a duvet for a motorhome! Stops condensation on windscreen when parked up for any length of time. Stops fading of your upholstery when stored in drive etc

Regards Henry

Also a novice

Essential piece of kit. Main suppliers advertise in MMM - Silver Screens or Taylor Made. There has been much previous discussion as to which is the better of the two. We have had both and not much to choose except that Taylor is probably the cheapest.

Roy.

Inside screens easy to put up and not affected by the rain, insulate the cab but don't stop the condensation. Outside screens nuisance to put up especially when raining but do help to stop the condensation. Take your pick! Both advertised in MMM mag all the time. Suggest all newbies buy John Wickersham's Motor Caravan Manual, no more feeling around in the dark if you do.

Happy new year and happy, safe travelling.

Hi Kelly58, on our last 'van we had external silver screens, they were very good but you need a good big plastic bag to store them in when wet. The 'van we have now came with internal screens, fiddley to stick on, don't insulate very well because they do not stop the glass from getting cold/freezing.

We were away with friends recently, both Kontiki`s, ours had external our friends had internal screens.

Our windscreen was clear theirs was full of condensation, the only snag is with the external is the weather regarding fitting and removing, ours was supplied with the bag which we use to store, and if wet we hang them in the garage when we arrive home its really personal choice.

Have a look on E.Bay you get loads of them and cheap. They are brilliant for stopping condensation on cab windows. And keep cab cool in summer.

Wouldn't have thought so - mattresses need an air gap to keep them condensation free, although the external screens keep condensation from forming on cab windows, they don't form an air gap between the mattress and the screen so you might find they actually hold the damp in.

As for drying external screens, we've got some of the wonderful orange 'chammie' cloth that is sold at motorhome shows, usually 6 pieces for £10.00, it's fantastic stuff and really dries them quickly and easily so you can put them away in their bag virtually bone dry. If you do need to bring them inside to dry then off, get yourself one of those small plastic tarpaulins that you can usually get for a couple of quid or so, put it on the table top and lay the screens on that so you can dry them off, then just give the tarp a quick wipe down - sorted!

As for storing the screens, we found the original bag a bit tight to get the screens back in so we bought an old rucksack bag from a car boot sale for 50p, one of the really large back-packer holiday ones, it's waterproof and once the screens are in we can really squeeze it down to a more managable size. We also put a strap round the screen when they are rolled up before trying to put them in the bag, again it makes it much easier as the materials isn't trying to unfurl itself all the time whilst you're trying to stuff it in the bag! Oh I do like a good wrestle in a morning. (lol)

Mel B - 2007-01-02 8:29 PM ....... As for drying external screens..........If you do need to bring them inside to dry then off, get yourself one of those small plastic tarpaulins that you can usually get for a couple of quid or so, put it on the table top and lay the screens on that so you can dry them off, then just give the tarp a quick wipe down - sorted! (lol)

I always thought that was what the shower tray was for, you know that nice warm place with the heater outlet!  Stand vertical and, when dry, into the bag.  All this mucking around with tarpaulins and pseudo chammys make me feel tired!

Just as an aside, I store mine under the passenger seat. (Fiat Ducato) Yes they will squash up that small even in the original bag, and go back to original once removed.

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-02 9:00 PM
Mel B - 2007-01-02 8:29 PM ....... As for drying external screens..........If you do need to bring them inside to dry then off, get yourself one of those small plastic tarpaulins that you can usually get for a couple of quid or so, put it on the table top and lay the screens on that so you can dry them off, then just give the tarp a quick wipe down - sorted! (lol)

I always thought that was what the shower tray was for, you know that nice warm place with the heater outlet!  Stand vertical and, when dry, into the bag.  All this mucking around with tarpaulins and pseudo chammys make me feel tired!

Ah, but not all of us have a separate shower compartment! We don't have a way to direct heat into the toilet compartment when on the move in any case - does anyone? *-)

For safety, security and peace of mind, I will only ever use internal screens. Folowing a recent trip to Andora I had to park up overnight in an aire de repose, (I know, risks of wild camping!) In the early hours of the morning, dearly beloved woke me up with her elbow, whispering in my ear "Someones messing about outside" sure enough as I peeped out of the window I could see a car parked a few yards away with no lights on and no one inside it, I could see 2 shadowy figures moving away from my van towards the car then stopping, they then turned around and headed back towards me, I grabbed my ignition keys, jumped into the driving seat, stated the engine, pulled the internal silver screen off the front windscreen and drove away. Try doing that when your screens are fastened on the outside and you have to get out of the cab to remove them.

Remember, Today is the first day of the rest of your life, SO ENJOY IT.

Archived