electric omnistep

fedex

hi, I have an i.h. Oregon 2006, based on a fiat ducato, my electric omnistep has stopped working, there is power to it as it comes out about an inch and will move back in the same distance. I've tested all the arms and all appear to move freely. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have read the forum on the problems but most seem to be ralay faults, mine is he slide out type, thanks

Had a similar problem on my 2011 Autocruise Accent with Omnistep slide out step. It was a known problem to the dealer, it was a 'polyfuse' I think is the correct term, I don't know what that is, it was sorted under warranty. May be worth contacting IH to see if it is known problem to them.

My PVC is a 2006 IH Tio R, so the installation could be similar. However the problem outlined is not likely to be convertor related.

May I suggest that the problem is due to ingress of mud and other foreign matter from cmpsites and roadsides.

My only reccommdaation is to remove and dismantle the step as far as possible and then give it a good internal clean. As I have done this on at least two occasions as a precautionary measure, I do appreciate that it is not the easiest of tasks.

As a temporary measure it may be possible to improve the action with a generous dose of lubricant spray.

Please note that, a stalled motor will take much more than the normal running current, hence the blown fuse. If the step jams DO NOT HOLD YOUR FINGER ON THE SWITCH, or you run the risk of burning out the step motor.

The only serious problem that I have experienced with my Omnistep was with the motor/gearbox assembly mounting bolts working loose. This showed up as a step "out" indication when the step was visibly retracted.

Alan

thanks mark and others for your replies, I had already stripped, cleaned and lubricated. spoke to Janet at I H who suggested connecting the ehc to give it a it of extra power as the leisure batteries could be slightly down, pressed the button step and 'hey bingo' it works. put a load more lubricating fluid on and it slides in and out with ease. Thanks all once again roger

You are never too old to learn!

I did wonder what a polyfuse was, so I followed the link provided by Derek, and did a web search.

I find that a polyfuse is a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) device similar to the PTC thermistor used in CBE and Schaudt distribution boards to limit the starter battery charging current when on EHU.

Apparently the polyfuse used to protect the step in some Sargent PSU's, was too sensitive.

CBE systems, of at least the vintage under discussion, do not use polyfuses to protect the step, so for the OP's problem they are not relevant.

fedex - 2017-05-15 3:25 PM

thanks mark and others for your replies, I had already stripped, cleaned and lubricated. spoke to Janet at I H who suggested connecting the ehc to give it a it of extra power as the leisure batteries could be slightly down, pressed the button step and 'hey bingo' it works. put a load more lubricating fluid on and it slides in and out with ease. Thanks all once again roger

I believe the standard advice for Omnisteps is not to lubricate the mechanisms. They have aluminium pivots with nylon bushes, which are self lubricating and designed to run dry. Silicone spray can be used, but any surplus should be removed: other lubricants are liable to affect the bushes etc,, leading to sticking, and oil based lubricants (including WD40) attract crud from the road, leading to repeated instances of jamming. It is possible to improve the seals of the step cassette by adding protection to deflect road crud, otherwise the best method seems to be to regularly hose out the step unit to flush out the crud.

Archived