Fridge fault

Billy Cronin

Hi,

My fridge in my motorhome will not work on battery it has 12 volts when I turn on the switch it starts to drain the battery.When I check the leads to the fridge they read a short circuit which I think the element may be faulty but I dont know how to access to it to be sure.

I have stripped as far as I feel comfortable until somebody can advise me better.

Billy Cronin - 2017-05-17 10:22 PM

Hi,

My fridge in my motorhome will not work on battery it has 12 volts when I turn on the switch it starts to drain the battery.When I check the leads to the fridge they read a short circuit which I think the element may be faulty but I dont know how to access to it to be sure.

I have stripped as far as I feel comfortable until somebody can advise me better.

It is probably OK but,

Older absorption fridges are designed to run from 12v only when the engine is running. This is because they draw about 10 amps from the battery, which is not sustainable. Vehicles are normally wired so that the 12v to the fridge only becomes available when the engine starts. This is done by energising a relay from the alternator's D+ connection.

The element will be about 1.5 ohm as they are typically 100 watts or so.

W = V*V/R

Archived