battery not charging on hook up

bluescuby

hi newbie hear i have a hymer camp 1991 and it is not charging via hook up the electric diagram is in german a explanation on how it operates would be nice

also dose any one know how to remove the fridge

any help would be much apreciated

(Moved by moderator: better chance of a reply in the 'Motorhome Matters' forum!)

Mark

Welcome to the happy house of motorhome madness.

Could you please advise which battery is not charging from the mains hook up.Vehicle batteries in the main do not charge from mains hook up but leisure should.

Fride removal on Hymers is usually dismantle kitchen from around the fridge but if you share the problem someone here on the forum may be able to help.

Docted

Guest Frank Wilkinson
bluescuby - 2007-01-01 10:22 PM hi newbie hear i have a hymer camp 1991 and it is not charging via hook up the electric diagram is in german a explanation on how it operates would be nice also dose any one know how to remove the fridge any help would be much apreciated (Moved by moderator: better chance of a reply in the 'Motorhome Matters' forum!)

It's always a great help if you give as much information as possible. For example, have you had the 'van for some time and has the hook-up charging worked so far? If this is the case then you obviously know how it works so it may be faulty or your battery may have simply reached the end of its life.

If however, you've just bought it, it could be that you're simply not aware of what do do.

On my new motorhome for instance there is a switch that allows you to choose either the vehicle or the leisure battery. When on hook-up it will only charge the selected battery. Do you have such a switch?

I'm no expert but a commonsense thing that I would try is to remove the battery and charge it with a normal battery charger. If it charges then you know that the battery is OK and you can then get the electrics checked by a qualified auto electrician.

After the battery check you could also check that the mains lead is functioning properly. It could be something as simple as a loose lead or a bit of corrosion.

Hi Bluescuby

We've all been there at the start with a new van, in our case we didn't know about a rather hidden switch in the cupboard so our battery didn't charge during the week, so soon went flat when used at weekend.

Only a thought,

good luck and welcome to M/H the hard way.

Mark

Thanks for getting back, in the first instance are you getting 240 into the van try a mains powered light in a socket. Next try the fuses to ensure that none has blown. In your vintage of Hymer it is usually a brown covered box wall mounted in the cab with a red handled switch like a door handle in front of it.The fuse designations are usually in the cover of the box. If you need to identify fuses PM me I am recovering from a foot injury and my handbook is out in the van. Finally I would check that the transformer/battery charger is working - should be a slight hum, (sound not smell).

Good luck

Docted

I think the Hymer Camp has a switch on the charging unit which is under the passenger seat (LHD). The 1994 one I had for a short time certainly did. Also while your at it make sure the fridge operates on 12 Volts with engine running. Mine didn't and it's an expensive job to fix it as the whole charging/split relay unit has to be replaced.

Fridge removal,

0) Disconnect from mains hookup and turn off the gas at the bottle.

1) Remove external air vents using a screw driver to rotate the plastic catches first.

2) Dismantle the assembly of pipes connecting the fridge flue to the outside vent.

3) Open the fridge door. Each side of the fridge cabinet are two plastic caps which need to be prised off. Having removed the caps then undoo the 4 screws that they hide.

4) Carefully ease the fridge forward. If the van is well designed you can slide it out enough to be able to remove it, however in many vans the furniture gets in the way first!

5) Make a note of the electrical connections at the terminal block and disconnect them.

6) If you need to remove the fridge totally then you will need to disconnect the gas pipes as well. If however you only wish to service the fridge then it is possible to do this without disconnecting any wires or pipes on some vans.

Assembly is a reversal of the above. If you have disconnected the gas get it checked by someone suitable trained and equipped. Likewise the electrics. I had mine out earlier this year for a 9 year service!!(did I really say that?)

Charging on hookup. Assuming its the leisure battery you refer to then it could be a circuit breaker open, fuse blown, Switch on charger turned off, broken connection etc. Use a sparky if its not obvious.

Good luck

Clive

Archived