What do you wish you'd known before your first trip?

Clintswife

Some good points highlighted on here. Forgetting to secure the fridge door before setting off was always my pet bug bear. Even now i still sometimes forget it, only to have the damn thing swing open at the first corner! Rattles are annoying too when driving so anything likely to jiggle about or make a noise i wedge some cloth round. I drive with the shower room vent open which is ok as long as you remember to angle it downwards with just the rear end up...forget to do that and you may well be saying goodbye to a roof vent!

Hi Sharon, welcome to our exciting new world. The first thing we did was to load up, fill up with water and go to the weighing station. Front wheels on, take measurement, back wheels on take measurements, all on take measurements. Our weigh master said, empty your water, buy a four gallon plastic container, fill with water and use that! Giving morepayload. We used our council weighbridge - free. The other important thing to do, is go to the nearest campsite for the weekend to iron out your little problems, we still learning. We off to France for three weeks, heigh Ho. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

One other piece of advice from our dealer, do not go crazy shopping for the van, you spend too much. !Have a few runs out, make notes of what you NEED not what you want.

Happy travelling!

Shirley

I wish I'd known on our very first Caravan 35 years ago that Chlorine attacks Stainless Steel.

I would not then have left a big dose of Milton Sterilising fluid in the Water System overnight, "just to be sure".

Lots of people will give you many different tips on how to keep the Fresh Water fit to drink (at least boiled) and the waste smelling fresh.

Just don't leave the treatment overlong!!

Good point raised about how to keep your waste tank fresh as there is nothing worse than a stinky system. There are all sorts of suggestions as to what to put down the sink to clear up smells but my advice would be to avoid putting potentially smelly stuff down there in the first place. We always wipe excess food etc from plates, pots and cutlery before washing and never put solid stuff into the tank. I never leave the tank sitting full after a trip and flush it through as well. I leave the drain tap open and leave the plugs out to allow fresh air to circulate. I also put some tank fresh down the pipes every now and then. Our van is three years old and the tank is still as fresh as new (well, to my nose anyway).

Enjoy the day. Take a note book with you to jot down some of the things that the dealer says that you might find useful. Also make a note of questions tou want to ask.

It's highly unlikely you will remember all you are told on handover. Don't worry. You can always ask another motorhomer, this forum, or Brownhills.

Best wishes.

Welcome to the madhouse, if I had known when we bought our first van just how much we would spend over the years I would have tried to convince CG that we should buy another sailboat, but that's another story. My point is that owning and running a motorhome is not cheap, and it is probably not a great way to try to enjoy a cheap holidays. It really is all about the lifestyle and the opportunities that it gives you, we just love it.

The good folk on this forum will help you in every way they can, and give you a list of all the things you will need to take or do.My advice is to carry an old bicycle innertube in the tool kit, it has lots of uses.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2017-05-31 9:56 PM

Welcome to the madhouse, if I had known when we bought our first van just how much we would spend over the years I would have tried to convince CG that we should buy another sailboat, but that's another story. My point is that owning and running a motorhome is not cheap, and it is probably not a great way to try to enjoy a cheap holidays. It really is all about the lifestyle and the opportunities that it gives you, we just love it.

The good folk on this forum will help you in every way they can, and give you a list of all the things you will need to take or do.My advice is to carry an old bicycle innertube in the tool kit, it has lots of uses.

AGD

Is this the same Archiesgrandad that, on another thread, extols how cheaply one can motorhome? 8-)

Archiesgrandad - 2017-05-31 9:56 PM

My advice is to carry an old bicycle innertube in the tool kit, it has lots of uses.

AGD

Pray, do tell of all these multiple uses ??? My imagination is running riot but not in a practical way 8-)

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-05-24 4:34 PM

Keep your waste tank drain off valve always slightly open.....

Tut tut!! That's a bit naughty Monique and would be frowned on in UK! Even though grey water waste is harmless, people don't like it dripping out on the roads.

Must admit emptying my waste tank is one job i hate as the tap is on the end of a short hose clamped to the undersill and bloody difficult to relocate it back in the clamp. It often means kneeling down on the ground.

Whilst I do all I can to keep the cost of running our motorhome down to the lowest practical level, it is generally an expensive pastime. If you start from the point at which you spend many thousands of pounds, or maybe tens of thousands, or maybe even in excess of one hundred thousand pounds, then you must know that this ain't gonna be cheap. They are in general not cheap to maintain, and it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain the more modern ones yourself. Even the best of them are not good on fuel consumption by modern standards, so I do all I can to do something which is inherently expensive as inexpensively as I can.

I am worried about where your imagination is leading you in respect of old bicycle innertubes. I always carry one in the van because you can do so many useful things with it:-

for a start they are made of stretchy rubbery stuff, so you can cut slices off and use them as rubber bands, if you need something longer you can make a chain of rubber bands.

a piece of an innertube will provide electrical insulation if you need to make temporary repairs to the electrics

you can make waterproof gaskets or patches if you need to make temporary repairs

you can use it to join two pieces of piping together if you need to extend a drain pipe, you know, like can't get close enough to the grey water drain.

you can use a piece as an antichafe pad to stop something rubbing.

I hope that is enough to start you thinking about this most versatile, inexpensive item that you should carry, with regard to whatever else you were thinking of, I can only recommend Bromide, it seemed to work for us when we did our National Service.

AGD

Archived