France, Critical Air Stickers

When we were in France, just a couple of weeks ago I started looking at windscreens to see how many French registered vans had these stickers (we don't have one). On quite a number of aires I only saw literally only a handful of stickers and 1 of those was on a hired van, which I found quite interesting as the various vans came from a wide variety of departments.

I guess as time goes by the numbers will increase, but reading this forum I get the impression that there are likely to be more British registered vans with Crit Air stickers than the French!

The Crit Air sticker is cheap and when I ordered mine it arrived in four days. As others have pointed out on other threads they are only relevant if you want to enter the restricted zones, City centres mostly, and I reckon the locals are far more likely to be able to avoid them than we are.

However my Wife has a very restricted mobility meaning that we do sometimes need to go close to City Centres if we want to have a look around and it is often easy to find a parking space with the Blue Badge. I checked with Crit Air and if you have the sticker AND a blue badge your movement is unrestricted by the zones.

I will be there in a couple of weeks and I will be watching for them too :-)

Mick Bajcar

Mick Bajcar - 2017-05-21 7:28 AM

The Crit Air sticker is cheap and when I ordered mine it arrived in four days. As others have pointed out on other threads they are only relevant if you want to enter the restricted zones, City centres mostly, and I reckon the locals are far more likely to be able to avoid them than we are.

However my Wife has a very restricted mobility meaning that we do sometimes need to go close to City Centres if we want to have a look around and it is often easy to find a parking space with the Blue Badge. I checked with Crit Air and if you have the sticker AND a blue badge your movement is unrestricted by the zones.

I will be there in a couple of weeks and I will be watching for them too :-)

Mick Bajcar

Fortunately we don't have mobility issues yet. So we won't be getting one anytime soon.

On the basis that, if nothing else, the need for this badge in France will increase, we have just applied to ours. Also bearing in mind the current low cost, and that it appears to last for the lifetime of the van, it could be a worthwhile 'investment;....If such a requirement follows in the Uk I guess it will cost far more than the €4.80 we paid for the whole of France in effect!!

Bearing in mind the previous discussion concerning this it will be interesting to see how long it is before ours arrives, and since we are due to cross over on a couple of weeks time have ensured we have a copy of the email receipt. just in case...!

I think if the reverse had been so not many UK mh's would buy a sticker to enter, say, London, Birmingham, and Manchester, unless they where local to the area or knew for certain they would be going to such places, They would also expect to be up to date on news if the scheme evolves and buy a sticker when and if.

I have recently purchased a sticker 'just in case' as we may be going to the Paris area, but have no fixed plans, it took just days to arrive.

HELP!

although we do not really expect to need it, we applied for, and received all within a week, the French sticker...now comes the interesting bit.

Having tried to roughly translate the narrative and looking at the so called picture guide, it seems you have to prise off the sticky square complete with the badge, and then stick this inside the windscreen. Other than that it has to be visible from the outside of the vehicle, I cannot however work out where it has to go?

Is there a specific side and top or bottom where it should be placed? Am I also right in my interpretation of the actual way to take it off the letter itself.

Any suggestions and help please! Thanks

Pull off the opaque cover from the letter starting at the corner that has an arrow and says something along the lines of " peel from this corner". Don't worry if it doesn't come off cleanly as the actual sticker is beneath this.

Then peel the sticker from its position and stick to your windscreen. I put mine on lower offside (so lower nearside in France).

Archived