Devon sapphire automatic

sandalwood

There was a Devon Sapphire review in the May 2007 issue of MMM magazine:

http://tinyurl.com/n4kqx9d

There will have been specification changes since then in relation to the Mercedes Sprinter base-vehicle and the conversion, but the MMM review might stil be helpful and the changes should be identifiable by comparing the relevant Devon webpages

http://devonconversions.co.uk/new-motorhomes/mercedes-benz-sapphire-7/

with the MMM article.

I had a Sapphire for a very short while. The conversion was great except that the cab roof was not insulated and in cold weather the cab would suffer from condensed moisture cascading down as one drove off. The boss told me that they never insulate that area.

If it is a new conversion on a used vehicle may I suggest that you check the base vehicle thoroughly. A few days after collecting mine from Devon, rust began to show up on seams. On taking down the roof lining to insulate (as Devon refused to do it) I discovered that the vehicle had been involved in damage to the cab roof and had been repaired poorly and the inside of the roof was quite rusty. Devon reckoned that I had damaged it. The MD was not helpful at all. I also had two other problems with the base vehicle.

I should have followed up by going to Trading Standards but as my wife was suffering with severe depression I cut my losses and part exchanged for a new Swift.

So sorry to hear about your experience and trust your wife has now recovered. The new vehicles are £65 + so I shall heed your warning. We gave an automatic Rapido, but getting a but long in the tooth fir such a big camper.

Hope you now enjoying your swift!

Ian

Ps. Tks for reply

Hi sandalwood. We don't have a MB Sapphire so can't help with that base but we did buy a Devon conversion, I have to say our experience could not have been more different to Whiskers. All the employees that we have dealt with and Peter Gowlan in particular have been more than helpful.

Devon have been very good and we have been given every assistance with the couple of problems we had, both of which related to faulty components that failed after delivery. The second failure, a Seitz window was replaced at our home so that we did not have to travel back to the factory in Durham.

Our conversion is first class and is fully insulated, including above the cab, with Thinsulate.

We have used the PVC year round and have had no problems having been warm and cosy with no condensation problems at all. I was expecting to maybe get some condensation on the bare metal of the doors not having had experience of a PVC before but this was unfounded. I would add that we do use external window insulation screens in preference to the supplied internal ones.

So I hope that gives you another view on Devon as a company if not on your chosen base vehicle. I believe you should look for yourself and make your own decision.

Basil

We cannot speak for or against the Sapphire as we've never had one, but we have a Devon Aztec 2014.

We bought this from Todds of Preston. They are magnificent. In three years we've had two warranty issues. First a leaking side window - Dometic fault not Devon's.

Then a cracked shower tray.

Both issues sorted with no hassle. Todds allowed us to sleep in their yard the night before, with water and EHU, and gave us the use of a courtesy car whilst they fixed the van.

We would definitely buy another Devon vehicle. Very pleased. Previous to the Aztec we had an Autocruise Rhythm. That was a good van once we'd managed to shake out and resolve the many build quality issues. Aztec far better value for money and build quality than the Rhythm, at the time we purchased in 2014, in our experience

As to Todds, they are 4 hours away from us - we are in Perth - but we find their service is so good, we'd happily tolerate the inconvenience of distance!

Archived