Motorhome Insurance

coach2000

Does anyone know of any Insurance companies that will insure your motorhome if you leave it in another country, ie France and fly home for a couple of weeks as I did over Christmas and New year. If not has anyone got a solution for getting around this problem as I am sure there are a lot of people out there on the continent with both a car and a motorhome.

I would have not been aware of this but for checking my details with the insurance company when I moved house in the U.K. and told them it would be parked up at the new address for very short periods of time.

Clive.

Clive,

You have probably brought this to alot of peoples attention thank you.

So it must be that your insurance states that you have to be in immediate charge of it . If you notify the insurance co can you /are you not allowed to put a additional premium on ? .

Which insurance company are you with for the M/H ?

(?)

I am with Caravan guard, they state there is no provision in the policy for what you suggest and they cannot think of an alternative except perhaps to insure it in France. I would have thought this would have been problematic in itself.

It raises other questions. What is the difference between parking up at the airport and leaving your vehicle there in France or the UK while you jet off? Does the European union not apply then? Does this apply to cars as well, or is it just motorhomes.

Clive.

Coachman ,

I am afraid I would ask safeguard or the like, someone somewhere must do it

I understand why they are reluctant my argument with my husband has just been why not!. I said if I parked at stanstead for 2 weeks and jetted off then what's the difference .

He said because you are in your country. I replied so if you needed to fly home in a life or death situation . Apparently the argument does not work

At home it would be on your drive ,lock up or secure placement So they assume that it's looked after . If in france and it was stolen whilst you were on the beach that's different because you had been the occupant at the time of the theft. Therfore expect to be rembursed . But apparently to fly home and leave it no one is in charge . Pathetic really . But did I understand you correctly you own a house there ?

Look around go through a broker someone will do it at an extra premium .

Goodluck .... What European union I thought only the foreigners were in it when they come to england . I know we don't seem to be classed the same when out of our country. worlds gone mad >

:-(

coach2000 - 2007-01-02 11:04 PM

Does anyone know of any Insurance companies that will insure your motorhome if you leave it in another country, ie France and fly home for a couple of weeks as I did over Christmas and New year. If not has anyone got a solution for getting around this problem as I am sure there are a lot of people out there on the continent with both a car and a motorhome.

I would have not been aware of this but for checking my details with the insurance company when I moved house in the U.K. and told them it would be parked up at the new address for very short periods of time.

Clive.

Clive,

I have in the past discussed with Pat & Peter Cue (Comfort Insurance) the problem of leaving your motorhome unattended abroad.

In the past we have left our van on a site in Helsinki and visited St Petersburg by train for five days.

We have friends who winter in Spain from November to April and fly home for a visit. They normally leave their van on site and friends look after it for them.

It now seems this is unacceptable to Norwich Union.

The small print on our policy states.

Section X Continental Use. "If for any reason your vehicle will not be within your custody or control for a period in excess of 36 hours, then you must notify Comfort Insurance in advance." Please refer to section 1 of this policy for information on security of stored vehicles. "

Comfort will not agree to a van being left on the run of the mill average site. They will however agree to the van being left in a secure car hire depot at an airport or such like.

We know of a couple who winter in Portugal who fly home for Christmas and leave the van at a car hire depot at Faro Airport. They have been doing this for a number of years. No problems so far. A nice little earner for the car hire staff.

It would be interesting to see what restrictions other insurers have on their policy's regarding the subject.

Safe travelling

Don

Thanks Michelle, Don Madge for your replies. Not sure I would leave it on an Airport Car park though. Especially the private ones. Did anyone see a Mcintyre programme on the tv some time ago? I think it was that documentary, where they moved your vehicle from one compound to another after you had left it, often miles apart. I would be happier leaving it on a secure Holiday park site at the side of my static van which I can use 12 months of the year. My renewal is not due till June, so it will give me time to have a rethink and a ring around the insurance companies.

Clive.

Archived