Awning- learnt a lesson

Caddies104

Hi

Was in a sudden and violent storm yesterday, and although the Awning was pegged down with 2 steel pegs on each leg and 2 ratchet straps also helping to keep the awning safe, it took myself on 1 leg and OH on the other leg to stop the awning taking off. Was very scary, thunder & lightning, very very heavy rain and winds I have never seen before, could not wind the awning in as it would of meant letting go one of the legs, the wind had already ripped out some of the pegs.. Just had to hang on for a lull in the storm which was about 20 minutes, which by then we were 2 drowned rats. Quickly took out what pegs remained and wound in. Did not know whether to laugh or cry...

The lesson,,,, don't leave the awning out if your not going to be around... we will certainly wind it in every night, was almost a costly lesson...

Yes, it's amazing what the wind can do. I always wind awning in at night and when wind gets up after an experience 15 years ago.

I had just pitched up and wound out awning but hadn't yet pegged it when I went to the site office for some provisions. A (very) sudden gust of wind came from nowhere and the MH ended up wearing the awning! A costly mistake. :$

We were in the US once touring for a year in an RV we bought there. There was some really foul weather one day on the Pacific coast north of LA with high winds. We would never leave the awning out just in case but there was a 45ft coach with a long awning out supported by legs that were clipped back to the side of the coach. One of the legs had come unclipped and the awning was flapping around with two guys trying to get it under control. They decided to unclip the other leg and wind it in, which was a big mistake as the wind took hold of it and pulled it over the roof, ripping the whole awning off the van and over the road onto the beach. The roof of the coach was peeled back like a tin of sardines leaving one guy with his head in his hands - ouch!!

I was on a site on the Wolfgangsee in Austria a couple of years ago. On my way into the ablutions block I noticed a pile of "stuff" piled outside & had a closer look on my way out.

The "stuff" turned out to be a Fiamma awning, complete with 3 approx. 2 foot wide by 1 foot deep sections of composite side panel attached. It looked like the wind had got under the awning & wrapped it over the roof of the van, ripping the whole cassette away & taking the large chunks of wall with it.

I wasn't inclined towards getting an awning before seeing that - even less so afterwards !

Nigel B

Always been careful with our awning but got caught out once. A sudden downpour in the Ardeche filled the canopy with water in a few minutes and one of the legs gave way. Lesson make sure one leg is lower than the other so the water runs off one end! Always wind in awnings at night and when you're away from the van. Listen to locals. On the north coast of Spain La Galerna blows in from the bay late afternoons lowering the temperature several degrees. It is easily powerful enough to take your awning.

In Lacuna last year we met a Parisian couple who had their awning strapped down to two trees and had also tied it down to two 30 litre plastic containers full of water! I didn't ask but wondered if this was due to experience?

Had the same problem a gust of wind blew the awning up over the top of the van and both legs were stuck on top. I was grateful to get help from other campers but one leg a bit bent but usable, the casing cover very bent - may need replacing and there is a small crack in the plastic above the winding gear. There is a small hole in the canvas which can be patched. The van is presently in being repaired and I'm waiting with bated breath for the bill! The canvas is looking a bit tired and I was thinking of having it replaced (if there is any dosh left after the repairs) does any one know of a company who does this?

I learnt my lesson the costly way last year. We'd only had our motorhome a few months from new and had had an awning fitted as an afterthought. We'd been away for a few days and had had the awning out once. We stopped at a site, it was a calm day so I wound the awning out but before I could peg it down a sudden gust of wind came and ripped the whole unit from it's fitting and dumped it on the ground on the other side of the van. Other than bending the awning casing the van was ok. Had to travel home with the awning inside the van and I found it was cheaper than trying to repair the original one. I now make sure it's pegged and strapped down.

Caddies104 - 2017-06-07 2:36 PM

Hi

Was in a sudden and violent storm yesterday, and although the Awning was pegged down with 2 steel pegs on each leg and 2 ratchet straps also helping to keep the awning safe, it took myself on 1 leg and OH on the other leg to stop the awning taking off. Was very scary, thunder & lightning, very very heavy rain and winds I have never seen before, could not wind the awning in as it would of meant letting go one of the legs, the wind had already ripped out some of the pegs.. Just had to hang on for a lull in the storm which was about 20 minutes, which by then we were 2 drowned rats. Quickly took out what pegs remained and wound in. Did not know whether to laugh or cry...

The lesson,,,, don't leave the awning out if your not going to be around... we will certainly wind it in every night, was almost a costly lesson...

Just curious why you both had to stand on one leg to save the awning?

Len Salisbury - 2017-06-12 9:31 AM

Maybe he wanted to go to the loo. :-D

Certainly needed to go after that experience,,, has took us quite a few days to get the Awning back out, and is back in at the slightest breeze, hope that doesn't last too long, as I know we are over reacting...

AliB - 2017-06-16 1:01 PM

Caddies, I would be interested to know how the straps were attached to the awning.

Hi

We have 2 triangular flags that slide into the rail of the Awning, to these are attached the straps level with the arms.. Check out Lillypad, that's where we got them from, via the Show at the NEC..

Hopefully pic below will show what we have, taken a few years ago so only now using the straps..

image.jpg.3db859d8fab54f562ad5a8a7406129fe.jpg

I would have thought that configuration was secure. Most people loop a strap from the side over the top of the awning and down the other side. This is basically a U-shape and does not give a rigid fixing.

stevec176

Its a big mistake if you think a few pegs and strapping will save an awning. Sounds like you're in for another costly error.

NEVER leave the awning out if leaving the van for even half an hour and certainly NEVER at night.

Archived