Giving your MH a mid-life refit

StuartO

Our MH is now eleven years old and we have decided to keep it indefinitely, so I am working through a list of desirable repairs and modifications.  For example while it's always had regular servicing, during the past couple of years it's had new tyres (before the originals had worn out) and new cam belt and alternator/air-con belts (again) and I replaced the original Exide G80 gel leisure batteries with one new one - because solar panels have made a pair of them unnecessary.

And I've reset the dipping headlamps to their original LHD (symetrical, flat-top beam) configuration, to suit driving abroad better, removed, cleaned and replaced the bathroom opaque rooflight, painted the towbar with Hammerite, bought and fitted a new dedicated (Garmin Camper 770) satnav, bought two new 21.5 inch Flatscreen full HD & DVD playing TVs to replace the heavier, less versatile and reliable 17" non-HD sets we started with and finnaly got around to fitting leisure-battery powered smartphone charging points at the bedside table.

I'm also engaged in some serious de-cluttering to remove unnecessary weight or space-consuming stuff we rarely use, such as the porch awning, and I'm planning to get rid of out motley collection of levelling ramps in favour of a total of three matching large ones which I know will always work when we need them. (How would you ever need four levelling ramps to level a MH?)

I had also already replaced the dash radio for a Digital version, with its special aerial, and I removed the microwave, which took up a whole locker and was rarely ever used.  The original Omnistor roll-out awning is still in place and we carry it's tie down kit, although I now rarely leave it out overnight, and we bought a shade-extending net thingy and a side screen from Lilliput, and a replacement windbreak which has ridge poles to keep it easily.

I still carry a spare gallon of diesel and a spare 10 litres of drinking water, and a hi-viz vests and tow rope as well as the pair of reflective triangle I somehow acquired.  And my T shaped squirty windscreen cleaner.

What have you discarded, replaced, retained?

Stuart. like you, our van is also 11 years old We also have decluttered . Got rid of umptine socket sets, we also changed the toilet rooflight , this year, as we discovered that it was cracked, and was not working properly any way, could only lift one side!. We had roof air con, and although we did use it occasionally in Spain , because of a weight issue, (and it was very heavy) we have replaced with an additional Heki roof light, though our van is very light , due to large windows.

we carry a 8ltr water can, and a tow rope, (though that has been cut in half) Do not carry a spare diesel can, but do always make sure to top up at a qtr tank. We have taken out the carpets, and replaced with a runner from Dunelm. Although the seats are not worn, they could do with a recover due to fading!, but as we will not be keeping van much longer, will let the new owner choose the fabric , should they wish to recover. We carry a flat hose and various fittings for it, also a long and short electric leads.

Over the years you realise that you do not need all you thought you did. I used to have 6 cups/plates cutlery etc, but have now cut that to 4, even though usually only 2 of us. as we do not use the over cab as a bed , have also taken the mattress out, That can be useful at home on odd occasions.

Most of our declutter was weight, so now have more lee way, for clothes , and food., Though we do shop when away, but some things we like and can't get abroad, or they are very expensive!

We are now hoping to get away later this year probably for the last time, but we shall see. We play it by ear, due to age and health problems.

PJay

Guest pelmetman

Is 11 years midlife? 8-) ........Changed our 25 year old carpet a couple of years ago.......does that count? :D .........

Archived