Winter (yes winter) static awnings for low profile motorhome - do they exist?

It will soon be Midsummer's Day so like all Spanish Winter Sun addicts my thoughts are turning to preparing for our December 2017 trip to Almeria :-D

However, trying to find a robust winter quality awning that will stand up to the very strong and gusty wind, snow, and rain experienced earlier this year in Almeria when we go south again is a real problem.

The issue is the height of our MH which measures 238 cm to the bottom of the Fiamma awning box. So far I have not found any awning to fix to the side of the MH when we are pitched for up to three weeks that will fit. Most seem to start at 250 cm high which clearly is no good. I know about the Fiamma Privacy rooms (which fit onto and below the roll out awning roof) but do not want them thanks.

I don't want to do a Heath Robinson lash up with bungees, plastic sheeting and straps (I've seen plenty of these which may work but look ***!!!).

So has anyone any advice on a make of weatherproof awning that will provide an outside room/porch for two people plus table for our long stay in Spain next winter. I like to get prepared well in advance:-)

Hi Ian,

How about a 'Moveairlite Classic' by Outdoor Revolution. Spec for the standard driveaway awning as follows:

Duratec welded single inflation point tube.

Cost: Circa £670

Width: 300cm

Depth: 300cm

Height: 180 to 240cm

Weight: 21.8kg

Pack size: 81 x 44 x 38cm

It's a coincidence that you asked this question as I was checking them out myself today.

You can also get the XL version for an extra £40 but its height is specified as 240-290cm. (All of the other sizes and weights are as the standard spec above.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for the comments.

However, I have also found that some of the "drive away" awnings such as those made by Walker and Camptech might do the job, they are certainly robust enough, its just a matter of the fitting to a motorhome roll out awning box.

Plenty of time to assess and decide.

Has anyone else any experience of fitting similar awnings to low profile motorhomes?

Maybe the older style metal pole awning would suit.

Harrison ( no longer made) but obtainable lightly used or a Dormea awning, similar.

They are made with the traditional awning fabrics and almost bomb proof, no flying guy lines as the fixings go directly to the mud walls. Also do not have sewin ground sheets which has both good and bad points.

Rgds

Edit; you write that the 2.5 height is no use ? All the awnings I have seen have a fairly wide flexibility in the height of the tunnel connection. Our 2.9 high awning, would fit an awning rail easily at chest height, so I am wondering if you have seen pitched show awnings to get an idea of height? Or maybe me miss interpreting your posting.

We used a Movelite XL for 3 months from December to March in Portugal without any problems. We did have an ordinary Movelite but sold it and bought a Dorema, unfortunately we had a problem with the fit so took it back to Glossop Caravans and swapped it for the Movelite XL but found this was too big for our needs so sold that and we then bought a stand-alone, what they called a Shelter, from Decathlon, 3m x 3m, very easy to put up and coped really well with the Portugese winds, in fact we still have it.

Thanks all for the comments/suggestions.

Having looked at several makes I realised that the choice of awning is fairly limited due to our 238 cm height to the lower edge of the Fiamma rollout awning box.

So we have bought a Vango Kela III Tall model which although it is technically a drive away awning, it works perfectly well as a static and has the necessary robustness we were looking for. The possible driveaway option during long site stays is attractive for LPG refills etc. The top Kador fitting can be attached from 230 cm to 295 cm height so will work well if we are on uneven ground using ramps.

Good advice from Camping and General of Canvey Island and excellent indoor display of most models plus best take away price. They also told me of the 'rule of thumb' that the Fiamma awning front plate slots (which take the top of the Vango awning) need to be at least five inches above the top of the habitation door to prevent roof contact when opening the habitation door.

Also learnt not to believe advice that the Kampa air caravan fixed awnings (235 cm lowest height) will fit properly on a motorhome. They don't!

The design and material spec of these Vango units with airbeam is impressive and I'm confident that our 2017/18 winter sun holiday will be a much calmer experience with this awning staying in place. (lol)

Archived