Sealing Windows

maddyfr

Hi,

I've just recently purchased a Nu Venture Surf 2010 model. This is my first camper. When I pulled down the mesh insect net yesterday on the driver side window in the van, I noticed it was wet. When I looked outside at the window pane, at the top it is not quite horizontally a perfect fit and I'm worried that water may have been coming in at the top of the left hand side of the window. There is no other evidence of water but I'm worried it could be getting in internally somewhere. I'm completely new to campervans and am paranoid about water damage. Is it best to take the camper to have the window re-fitted so that it lies exactly horizontal at the top, or is it possible to water seal it in some way?

Many thanks,

Maddy

The glass window should cover the seal full around at equal closing pressure.Be aware that their can be also a ventilation position in the window clamps. The seal shoud not be ruptured at any place in the rectangular. There is also a seam somewhere. Using some vaseline is not bad depending on the condition of the seal. Check that the seal is in his fixture. Is it soft or stiff rubber. Did you notice any crimping in the seal which is common on chausson tolerances. Check whit a torch at dark if any light passes.the seal.

Hi Maddy & welcome to the forum.

Hopefully it is only condensation

Firstly please advise if it is the drivers DOOR window or a side window in the coachbuilt section.

I suspect the latter.

1st question - did you buy from a dealer ? If so, back to them to get it sorted under warranty.

If purchased from a private seller, ask if they were aware of the problem & if so for how long, to enable you to assess the potential damage. You may meet reluctance from the seller divulging this infomation.

If in the coachbuilt section, it maybe due failed sealant where the window is fixed to the body (relatively easy fix but time consuming as ALL old sealant will need to be removed) or the rubber seal which the window compresses when closed. (damage should be evident with the window in the open position & fitting a new seal is again relatively easy)

However, you will need to check if the walls above, to the sides or below the window, if they show any sign of water ingress.

A cheap damp meter should help to determine if damp is present.

(unless we have a continuous spell of dry weather it will show some trace of damp, a level below 20% normally accepted as OK)

Archived