Fresh Water Tank Level Gauge Trouble

Fiat Ducato

Hi been experiencing problems with my Fresh Water level sensor gauge. I own a 1997 Fiat Ducato AutoRoller. All started when I had to redo all the wiring as it was in such a mess and very dangerous. Everything else is all sorted and works as it should, apart from my the level gauge on my fresh water tank.

I'm a bit confused to how it works with regards to needing power. As there is only 1 black cable (sleeve with 4 different coloured wires within it. This runs from the control panel to the tank via a connector mid way (connector is just a 4 way male and female multi plug connector. I have connected it up as it was but it doesn't work, always shows empty even when full or three quarters full. And just recently some strange red light came on, on my control panel where the water level gauge is. Not sure what it is, looks like grey waste water tank by the picture.

If anyone has experience of fitting and installing water tank sensors, level gauges etc. Any advice or pointers would be very welcome.

Regards

Paul

1416529075_RedLightonControlPanel(WaterGauge).jpg.f267ce67d1f03a08361c2114c5f4b417.jpg

1124826614_FreshWaterTankGauge.jpg.90a3fce0e0881a2fda32dd404130c078.jpg

885038823_WaterTankLevelGaugeConnector.jpg.43190adf43d60b1b56b34b84d91b368d.jpg

• 1 month later...

got water gauge working perfectly now and fairly accurately too. Just removed the stainless steel rods sprayed with some descaler left overnight and wiped clean, refitted with an extra earth added and hey presto.

Just the red light on the control panel water gauge now, it is constantly on, even with the main 12v switch off. Bit weird and annoying especially at night when trying to sleep, having this red light on all the time.

So any help or comments will be extremely appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Could your red warning light be your grey waste tank full indicator?

However I would have expected that it would only illuminate when the test button is pressed.

These waste water tank indicators often rely on two electrodes near the top of the waste tank. If you can't find any reference in your manual. you may be able to confirn by locating the electrodes and disconnecting one.

These wast full indicators often give false full indications. This is caused by a layer of slime on the inside of the tank wall, which decreases the resistance betwwen the electrodes, and.illuminates the lamp.

I often have this problem at the start of a trip, but once there is some waste water inside and sloshed around while driving, the problem clears.

If this is proven to be the problem and it is persists, you could try something like "Tank Fresh"- an Elsan product, I think. Alternatively I have seen a bottle of cheap Coke poured down the sink suggested as a remedy.

Or is there an earth fault or even a high resistance short on your wiring, particularly under the van?

Look for corroded connections.

Alan

Archived