Campsite pricing

Bulletguy

I'm noticing an increasing amount of sites charging per van/mh/caravan and "1 - 2 people" so a solo traveller like myself pays the same nightly fee as two people.

Surely it would be more fair to charge per person? After all, with two people they are using double the amount of waste, toilet and shower facilities as what one person travelling alone will.

Unfortunately the pricing structure of holidays is based on 2. so solo travelers often have to pay a supplement. Sites base the pricing on size of pitches , agree you are paying for the same facilities of 2 people . In hotels you pay for meals, regardless of how much you eat ! And you see some going back for more, and taking rolls etc out for later. Certain nationalities , (I won't say which) are really greedy

Even super markets package for 2 in many cases, which is hard for some old people on a limited budget,

They way of the world sadly

PJay

PJay - 2017-06-28 1:35 PM

Unfortunately the pricing structure of holidays is based on 2. so solo travelers often have to pay a supplement. Sites base the pricing on size of pitches , agree you are paying for the same facilities of 2 people . In hotels you pay for meals, regardless of how much you eat ! And you see some going back for more, and taking rolls etc out for later. Certain nationalities , (I won't say which) are really greedy

Even super markets package for 2 in many cases, which is hard for some old people on a limited budget,

PJay

Yes i know and i feel single people/solo travellers are unfairly penalised. It should be priced by vehicle then per person accompanying it.

You are right about Supermarket food packing too which is invariably two portions of whatever. Yesterday i bought various meats for barbecue but as it came in double portions i just have to have the same meal two nights together.....fridge won't hold a variety unless i take out the beers!! :D

Why not mention which nationality PJay? After all the French are not shy about it.... Oops. Sorry about that. As for campsite pricing I've sort of lost touch with pricing as a few years ago I was refused entry to a half full campsite in Dorset. I asked for a reason and after some pressure from myself I was told it was because I was a single male! I could not believe it. It made me feel guilty, of what I, I don't know and can like you only guess. So I havnt bothered with them since, their loss and my gain.

I agree with sentiment expressed by OP. We have business in Edinburgh so staying at C&MC site there - £23.50/night for a pitch the size of a small African country ..... we don't need this space ....

Also I arrived with motorbike. Thefts from site are rife despite CCTV showing nothing and secure fencing all round with dog walk locked at night. So how are they getting bikes out? Smacks of theft by residents?

Felt sorry for a Czech couple who arrived in a VW van. It was very tidy and clean, but no side windows. The couple were in their 40s and looked respectable but were turned away very politely as "we don't allow vans on site". Embarrassing we felt. Great ambassador for UK.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-06-28 1:21 PM

I'm noticing an increasing amount of sites charging per van/mh/caravan and "1 - 2 people" so a solo traveller like myself pays the same nightly fee as two people.

Surely it would be more fair to charge per person? After all, with two people they are using double the amount of waste, toilet and shower facilities as what one person travelling alone will.

If I knew it was you arriving I'd double the price to :D .......

Bulletguy - 2017-06-28 1:50 PM

PJay - 2017-06-28 1:35 PM

PJay

Yes i know and i feel single people/solo travellers are unfairly penalised. It should be priced by vehicle then per person accompanying it.

You are right about Supermarket food packing too which is invariably two portions of whatever. Yesterday i bought various meats for barbecue but as it came in double portions i just have to have the same meal two nights together.....fridge won't hold a variety unless i take out the beers!! :D

I guess you've got your priorities right. Cold Beer First

PJay

I think the CCC have the most sensible form of pricing, it's based on per person and couple that with a 25% discount (in my case) out of high season makes it very affordable, they don't always get things right but thier pricing structure is fair . The sites that really turn me off are the ones who's pricing is based on 2 adults with EHU I don't want that, but they refuse to alter thier fees so I move on.

Fairness has very little influence on pricing and site owners will mostly charge as much as they think the market will stand.

Decisions to offer a package rate (one unit plus two adults) will probably be aimed at atracting the mass market (i.e. as if a bargain package) or to refelct the fact that the mass market is couples and one camping unit.

Comparative costs of accommodating different permutations of camping units and numbers of people will have almost no significance, so arguments that single campers consume less water or leave less waste won't carry any weight.  If single campers want a better deal they should form a single campers club and thereby develop some buying power to negotiate a special club rate - but I doubt there are enough of them to form a critical mass for such an arrangement.

Site fees in UK are much higher than abroad and that reflects the much larger number of sites abroad and the restrictive planning laws in UK rather than anything else.  Prevailing market practice influences fee structure too, which is why foraign sites are much more likely to charge for dogs and sometimes per dog than UK sites.

Even "egalitarian" UK site organisations, like C&CC, now charge for physically larger camping units, like MHs over 8m and "jumbo" tents and they need accommodating.  Modern tents are made of much lighter material and are much easier for a couple to handle and it's not uncommon to see very large tents with only a couple inside.  We were on a C&CC Site recently where I met an elderly couple in a multi-room seven metre long tunnel shaped tent, over 8 metres if you count the guy ropes.  They had electric fan heater, huge electric inflatable bed with electricblanket, electric twin cooking hob and electric oven - so their consumption would be similar to that of a MH if not higher.

Campsites also use various ways to keep undesireables out, such as refusing twin-axle caravans (to exclude Travellers, common in France) and, as the OP discovered, single males.  Ageing single males are a persecuted species these days of course, considered to be potential paedophiles, whether they are or not.

Pricing and admission policy are not generally regulated by law, so that's what happens when campsite operators make their own decisions.  They cannot discriminate against homosexual couples these days of course, so I suppose the OP could claim to be having a partner join him but travelling separately!

One of the benefits of both major clubs (C&CC and C&MC) is that they do charge per person with an additional element for the pitch. So for single people it certainly works out a better price.

But please note, this does not apply to the network of CL's/CS's so you could end up paying the same as you would for staying on one of the club sites in the area.

David

I share Bulletguy's sense of injustice as I motorhome alone from time to time. Fortunately, on most sites, CMC charges a pitch fee plus a fee per adult or child. It doesn't make the sites cheap but it doesn't penalise me as a single adult.

Some rallies charge per 'van rather than adults and I know the Great Dorset Steam Fair campsite charges by 'van.

I agree pricing is often very unfair for single travellers. The 2 major clubs mentioned have a fair structure but I object to paying the same as a family of up to 6 people in some cases mostly with awnings. Local authority sites in the Banffshire area particularly annoy me. I no longer stay on those sites and make sure I shop in other areas also.

Brock - 2017-06-29 3:25 PM

I share Bulletguy's sense of injustice as I motorhome alone from time to time. Fortunately, on most sites, CMC charges a pitch fee plus a fee per adult or child. It doesn't make the sites cheap but [/b]it doesn't penalise me as a single adult.[/b]

Some rallies charge per 'van rather than adults and I know the Great Dorset Steam Fair campsite charges by 'van.

Exactly how it should be. When a couple arrive on site with three or four sprogs on tow and you're paying the same fee, there is something very wrong. Five or six loads of crap going down the drains and more water useage, it's one of the few things Thatcher got right with her controversial poll tax.

I've never quite figured why as a single person living alone i'm only entitled to a 25% rate reduction. :-S

It should be 50%.........and the same should apply to campsite pricing.

Bulletguy - 2017-07-01 6:08 PM

Brock - 2017-06-29 3:25 PM

I share Bulletguy's sense of injustice as I motorhome alone from time to time. Fortunately, on most sites, CMC charges a pitch fee plus a fee per adult or child. It doesn't make the sites cheap but [/b]it doesn't penalise me as a single adult.[/b]

Exactly how it should be. When a couple arrive on site with three or four sprogs on tow and you're paying the same fee, there is something very wrong. Five or six loads of crap going down the drains and more water useage, it's one of the few things Thatcher got right with her controversial poll tax.

Just got back from a very clean site pitches were 100sq meters choice of 2 areas one secluded the other near all the amenities excellent staff £13.00 per night for up to 6 people we were only 2 plus 2 dogs should I be bleating about how unfair it is to pay the same as 6 people or just enjoy the bargain price. There is a CC&C site nearby but even with a 25% discount it would be dearer I pay my money and take my choice. John.

I've never quite figured why as a single person living alone i'm only entitled to a 25% rate reduction. :-S

It should be 50%.........and the same should apply to campsite pricing.

Archived