Dogs and Breakdown Insurance

ackle

Hello Everybody !

We are relativly new to motorhoming but not total newbies as used to ( before age got to us) travel in a long wheelbase transit that I used for work.

About to take delivery of new Pilote and have been doing as much reading as I can to sort out insurance.

A large part of the decision to get a motorhome now I am RETIRED ! was prompted by wishing to take our two dogs with us.

A few weeks ago read a very informative thread/letter/reply somewhere about the attitude of continental breakdown services to pets. Not sure if it was here, elsewhere or in a magazine.

Trouble is, didn't note it's location down and now despite spending a lot of time searching everywhere I think I may have seen it, can't find it !

Can anyone point me towards it or give recommendations as to which service to go with. Want one that repatriates us and dogs in event of accident/event that immobilises motorhome.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy

Good to see another Pilote owner on the forum - what model is it?

We have a dog and go abroad and I can't believe any dog has actually been left abroad when the MH has broken down when the dog can travel in the MH in the event of 'repatriation'.

This question was brought up on Tripadvisor about four years ago and the Insurance Companies said, as far as they know, no dog has ever been left abroad.

Also good to see you intend taking the Pilote back to the place of its birth - perhaps our paths may cross over there sometime in the future.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

I know this won't apply to the OP, but those of us with older vehicles need to be aware that most breakdown companies will not cover vehicles over ten years old.

One of the exceptions is ADAC, who will also repatriate your dog and your granny, and all the necessary paraphenalia!

emmerson - 2017-06-29 10:05 PM

I know this won't apply to the OP, but those of us with older vehicles need to be aware that most breakdown companies will not cover vehicles over ten years old.

One of the exceptions is ADAC, who will also repatriate your dog and your granny, and all the necessary paraphenalia!

Not heard that one. Our van is over 10 years and Insurance company have not said anything about not recovering!

PJay

Hello Solomongrundy and Bop, it is a P740c

Picked it up yesterday. Am wondering if I am going to regret speccing an auto. Never encountered such a awkward system. I have been driving autos for 40 years and use both feet, this system really doesn't like you doing so. Have to keep looking at not very easy to see display to see what is going on. Maybe it will be better when I have some done more mileage. Trouble is also have an auto Hyundai, auto MG, and also drive a manual ford. The feet REALLY don't get it at the moment ! Have found a card with a hole to put over the selector stick in the bumph pack which explains quite a lot. Pity the dealer didn't put it where intended, so I would have read it and been a lot wiser !

Think that we will probably go with Comfort insurance, not because their terms/breakdown seem any better but they seem no worse than any other and are very keenly priced.

Any opinions on Comfort anybody ?

Andy

ackle - 2017-07-02 2:01 AM

Hello Solomongrundy and Bop, it is a P740c

Picked it up yesterday. Am wondering if I am going to regret speccing an auto. Never encountered such a awkward system. I have been driving autos for 40 years and use both feet, this system really doesn't like you doing so. Have to keep looking at not very easy to see display to see what is going on. Maybe it will be better when I have some done more mileage. Trouble is also have an auto Hyundai, auto MG, and also drive a manual ford. The feet REALLY don't get it at the moment ! Have found a card with a hole to put over the selector stick in the bumph pack which explains quite a lot. Pity the dealer didn't put it where intended, so I would have read it and been a lot wiser !

Think that we will probably go with Comfort insurance, not because their terms/breakdown seem any better but they seem no worse than any other and are very keenly priced.

Any opinions on Comfort anybody ?

Andy

We've got for a manual GJ version of yours but I'm not ready for an auto yet.

Ref Comfort, I think it's just as good as any of them as long as the details in the small print suite your own personal needs.

Good luck with the feet and the auto :-)

Archived