Truma EH

Shadowhood

Newbie here soaking up all info I can.

Went to a dealer yesterday and he mentioned a Truma combi 6 EH boiler/heater - it is a £780 option on the Pilote vans which come as standard with the Truma 4 E. I've went to the Truma website and can't find the EH model, just the E model.

Can anyone tell me;

a) what is the difference between the E and the EH model?

b) Combi 4 or 6? On a 6.99m van, would a combi 4 E or EH be suitable or would a van that size be better with a combi 6 size? I've had a look at the comparisons for the 4 and 6 models and apart from the 4kw to 6 kw, there is no difference in consumption, heating time etc.

Thanks folks.

....I suspect the confusion may have arisen because Truma used the EH suffix to describe those units with the fitted electric option for the previous (now quite a bit previous!) range of heaters.

You need to try to understand what your options are. The UK Pilote documentation describes the inclusion as standard of the Combi 4 (the version without the electric option), though it is not uncommon for UK dealers to automatically specify the "E" option on imported 'vans, and include that in the UK list price.

So, the Combi 4 is gas only, with roughly 4kW max heat output.

The Combi 6 is very similar (gas only) with 6kw max heat output.

The "E" option is available on both, allowing 900W or 1.8kW of electric heating (either alone, or to augment the quoted gas output when space heating).

If you use hook-ups a lot, (particularly if they are not metered) then the "E" option is well worthwhile considering. We have generally found, even for 'vans close to the size you are considering, that once the interior is up to temperature (using gas if cold), the higher electric setting alone is then sufficient to keep the 'van temperate. It is also useful for overnight heating/frost protection in the very coldest of conditions.

The main practical difference between the 6kW and 4kW versions is the speed at which they will bring a cold 'van up to temperature. 6kW will obviously be somewhat quicker, but I wouldn't expect a requirement of much over 2kW to maintain temperature once there (except, perhaps, in extreme conditions).

You pays your money..... (only you know the potential prevailing conditions and how hot you like to live).

Being pedantic, there has only ever been one "EH" Truma heater - the C-Series range C-6002EH.

Current Truma combination air/water heaters are referred to by the name "Combi", with "(E)" added if the appliance has a 230V heating capability - hence Combi 4(E) or Combi 6(E)

However motorhome dealers and journalists are not too fussy about fine accuracy and commonly continue to use the EH suffix when referring to Combi heaters. Even Truma themselves have been known to do this...

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-02 6:04 PM

Being pedantic, there has only ever been one "EH" Truma heater - the C-Series range C-6002EH.

If I were being equally pedantic, Derek, I could point out that nothing in my post implies anything different. (If I'd used the word "models" rather than units, things might have been different).

Equally pedantic would be me pointing out that there have in fact been many EH Truma heaters, all of them the C-6002EH model.

But......there's been more than enough tit-for-tat on the forum today for me to even consider that.....

...so I won't.

;-)

Archived