What if

tonyg3nwl

In the unlikely event that my end of life period timed out whilst on holiday abroad, leaving my wife in a situation , stranded, unable to speak the local language, and lost, not knowing her way home, unwilling or unable to drive ,

Is any insurance policy available that would step up and help.. we have in the past used Caravan Club red pennant, but does this effectively cover all potential problems..

Not that I am anticipating any problems, but trying to convince her that help would be available somehow.

Has anyone had experience of such a situation.. Any suggestions or suitable advice.

Tonyg3nwl

My insurance with Comfort includes repatriation of the vehicle if the main driver is unable to drive the vehicle. If however you have a second named driver on the policy then that driver would be expected to drive, assuming that driver accompanied you.

That's how I read it !!!

I think Robbo is right on this, though it would be worth checking rather then assuming.

Beyond that, my understanding is that when the insured dies, the policy also "dies". It would therefore be well worthwhile asking how the situation Tony describes would, actually, be treated, where the person most affected by the death is not the insured. I'd be interested in the replies if anyone does find out.

Word of warning: if one insurer answers that the uninsured party and the van would still be repatriated and accommodated under those circumstances, there is no guarantee that a different insurer would take the same view. Only your insurer can answer the question as it would apply to your insurance arrangements.

Further word of warning: insurance policy conditions do get changed from time to time so even if you've already asked, it would be worth checking that the answer you got is still the case.

I have insufficient knowledge to comment on insurance.

To mitigate something going wrong with me whilst we were abroad, my wife used to carry phrase books and cards with key phrases written on them in english and the foreign language such as, "I need help. Do you speak english? Your wife should be able to point at a phrase if she can't master the verbals. If she has them in several languages, she should be able to find someone to help. Maybe Google translate or similar would be better if she can get online.

Having a satnav with an instruction book would reduce the chance of your wife getting lost. I used to write down the route home from each country so my wife would only need to find her way out of the one country and then follow my route. I ensured she had access to good paper maps for the countries being visited.

My wife also had instructions on how to access our money when abroad [passwords kept separate!]. She knew where all appropriate documents were kept and on some, I wrote additional notes so she knew why we carried them.

I'm unsure whether having the phone numbers of our Embassys etc will be useful.

My wife is a not a ninny. We still felt it was/is important she had easy access to understandable information that would help rather than leave her to fudge and fidget. Perhaps I naively thought she'd be distressed if anything happened to me!

Hi, thanks for responses so far..

My concerns extend beyond just insurance, but issues dealing with emotional trauma, how to deal with legal formalities , undertakers, repatriation of body etc, emotional support .

My current insurer says that policy is extended automatically to second driver until expiry date, so that is covered,

My wife does not want to go abroad again, "just in case"...understandable., but what if?

Do others have similar concerns..should we??? Or is life too short to have concerns..just get on with it whatever.

Tonyg3nwl

I am one of those people who have always been in the camp, 'Just get on and enjoy'.

But a few years ago I was involved in a severe RTA. When I came to, it was clear the man talking to me and 'giving reassurance', thought I was going to die. The absolute panic in his voice when I closed my eyes as he shouted, "stay with, don't leave me", seemed to say it all at the time.

He would not answer any questions about my injuries.

When someone said I should be moved out of the road as I was vulnerable to passing traffic, another voice said, "We can't move him, you can see why".

I knew when I came around it was bad, so deliberately kept still so as not to accelerate blood loss or cause further injury by moving. So I just remained still and tried to keep calm waiting for the emergency services, who seemed to arrive quickly.

It was obviously a few traumatic hours for me, and luckily, although I had a hair line fracture of the skull (who said that explains every thing?) a broken Collarbone, cracked Ribs, broken Jaw, etc. I recovered quite quickly over the next few weeks.

But it really made me think about how unprepared I was for something like that, in so many different ways.

For the next 5 years I lived life to the most absolute I possibly could.

I still have the approach of 'Don't worry, get out there and enjoy' what little life we may have, but fully understand and agree with your approach of being prepared, not just for yourself but to ease the trauma for loved ones. So easy to forget just how much those left behind have to deal with

They say the best Project Managers 'Plan for the Worst, but hope for the Best' and that seems to be exactly what you are doing. .

First class approach in my book.

I would imagine that if any company has an insight into what you require, maybe more than any other company, then maybe SAGA?

Update.

I have been looking at various van insurances, and it seem that none of them cater for situation where the demise of policy holder through anything other than an "accident" of some sort is not covered.

So a partner left after say a heart attack or stroke cannot get assistance through that insurance..

I am not yet aware of any suitable personal insurance , but surely there must me something..

Any suggestions???

Tonyg3nwl

Hi

A slightly off the wall solution would be for your wife to lock the van where it is, get a taxi to the nearest airport and fly home.

I am sure the finer details of repatriating body and/or MH would be a lot easier if at home with friends and relatives around to help.

It may cost more and the van might go missing but we are only talking about a "what if" scenario anyway.

You could probably pay a solicitor/undertaker to deal with everything for you. Expensive but what price "peace of mind".

Live long and prosper :-D

Andy

Archived