Recommended site?

Petra

Thanks for the app recommendation. I really despair about UK sites and parking. We've just come back from a 2 month trip around Europe and never once experienced a problem with finding suitable sites or using aires that allowed us access to pleasant walks and towns. The UK is definitely more set up for caravans than motorhomes with sites miles from anywhere or walks across fields into towns. It's all very well saying you can jump on a bus but it doesn't work that way when you're in a wheelchair and have a dog. UK sites often say don't leave your dog in the motorhome.

The UK has never been swamped by city/town/village centre campsites/stopovers has it...at times it hard enough to park a car.

Neither is the UK's public transport known for being overly reliable or extensive (especially in more rural locations).

So, as you have a wheelchair to consider, I'd also be factoring in a taxi ride..

(..and even if a site is supposedly "walkable", it's not unusually to find the pavement disappearing mid-yomp!)

We used a site Malvern a few years back(can't recall if it was the C&CC or CC) but it took ages to walk into the town, so the next day we took the bus in, but a taxi back in the early evening (as the buses had stopped running! *-) )

Edit-Oops! I forgot the link. (not sure if you'll find anything of any use on it though)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

Oops again, missed the edit cut-off, but just remembered that a few years back we used several "at" Stratford'..

(Dodwell Park?..the racecourse and "Riverside"..

The closest in being Riverside (I think it was called).

It was walkable into Stratford'(about a mile-ish), along decent roads (probably a bus route anyway), I recall it being quite pricey though, quite regimented and with v open, grass pitches..

(but it did, then, allow early arrival on Fridays(10-11am?) for weekend stays)

Here you go; http://www.stratfordcaravans.co.uk/touring/about-touring

Petra - 2017-07-09 11:20 AM

. The UK is definitely more set up for caravans than motorhomes with sites miles from anywhere or walks across fields into towns. It's all very well saying you can jump on a bus but it doesn't work that way when you're in a wheelchair and have a dog. UK sites often say don't leave your dog in the motorhome.

Have to agree with you Petra, that's why we no longer belong to either of the camping organisations. And always finish up over the water Lucky for us being close to the ferry port.

PJay

if its any help to you there is also an app called doggy pubs that we find very useful if we are going anywhere. we have the same troubles as my wife is in a wheelchair and even if a site says wheelchair friendly it might mean that they have a disabled toilet but the paths on the site are not wheelchair compatible as there is no governing body to regulate the standard of access. it's worth ringing the site and asking. one site we asked about had a disabled toilet and shower but it had a step to get in to it.

I feel for you and do agree with what you say ! they like us tucked away out of site miles away from anywhere ,

Just a thought rather than picking a location you want why don't you look for sites near to places then decide if you fancy going there.

places that come to mind Moffet in Scotland, Morton on the Marsh even places like Peterborough that are a fair stretch of the legs but doable !

Hope you find something.

Petra - 2017-07-04 1:58 PM

Can anyone recommend a site between Stratford upon Avon and Malvern that is within walking distance of a town and that accepts dogs? Walk needs to be suitable for a wheelchair.

Never visited these, so can't recommend from personal experience, nor for wheelchair accessibility, but there's a site called Wier Meadow at Evesham (N52.09194 W1.94064 - about 0.3 miles on pavement to the High St) - seems to be mainly statics with some touring spaces and, although not on a straight line from Stratford to Malvern, Tewkesbury has a CC site (Tewkesbury Abbey: N51.98931 W2.15812 - similar distance on pavement to it's High St). Any good?

Weir meadow at Evesham looked good but unfortunately does not take dogs. We have stayed at Tewkesbury Abbey several times which is a nice site but we are no longer in the Caravan Club as they refused us a pitch even though we had booked it in advance at Moreton in the Marsh as they only had one and they were saving it for a caravan!

We have now booked at Briarfields at Cheltenham, not really walkable to the town centre but hey ho this is England! God help us after Brexit.

Petra - 2017-07-16 11:38 AM

We have now booked at Briarfields at Cheltenham, not really walkable to the town centre but hey ho this is England! God help us after Brexit.

Hi

We've used Briarfields quite a few times...and, although we've done it, it is a fair old walk into town. Not a problem though as the buses, which stop outside the ' site, run every 10mins (until 5.30 ish), when they switch to 20min (ish).

...'Not quite sure how being either in or out of the EU has ever (or will in the future) influence the locations of UK's campsites though...? ;-)

Petra - 2017-07-16 11:38 AM

Weir meadow at Evesham looked good but unfortunately does not take dogs. We have stayed at Tewkesbury Abbey several times which is a nice site but we are no longer in the Caravan Club as they refused us a pitch even though we had booked it in advance at Moreton in the Marsh as they only had one and they were saving it for a caravan!

Brexit will not make any difference to sites, unless they decide to up the cost because others may decide not to visit abroad,. Personally I think MORE visitors will want to come to Britain once we are OUT, of the clutches of Europe. AND when they see how well we are doing outside the eu , more countries will want to leave !! Hopefully we will be a GREAT Britain again

PJaY

PJay - 2017-07-16 3:47 PM

. Personally I think MORE visitors will want to come to Britain once we are OUT, of the clutches of Europe..

PJaY

What makes you draw that conclusion?..What's been stopping them from already coming., as surely it'd be easier now?(with freedom of movement).

Besides it's not more punters we need....it's more campsite/stopover locations..

pepe63 - 2017-07-16 4:57 PM

. Personally I think MORE visitors will want to come to Britain once we are OUT, of the clutches of Europe..

PJaY

What makes you draw that conclusion?..What's been stopping them from already coming., as surely it'd be easier now?(with freedom of movement).

Besides it's not more punters we need....it's more campsite/stopover locations..

Sadly being an island, we do not have the space for campsites , at least not in places where visitors want to visit! and if we had "aires" they would fill with "Travellers"

maybe London could turn the site of the Tower block that burnt , into a campsite, as I would imagine another tower block will not be built there, on site of so much tragedy ! Make it a memorial site , perhaps.

PJay

PJay - 2017-07-16 5:12 PM

pepe63 - 2017-07-16 4:57 PM

PJaY

Sadly being an island, we do not have the space for campsites , at least not in places where visitors want to visit! and if we had "aires" they would fill with "Travellers"

maybe London could turn the site of the Tower block that burnt , into a campsite, as I would imagine another tower block will not be built there, on site of so much tragedy ! Make it a memorial site , perhaps.

PJay

I don't disagree that there isn't the (affordable?) land available for campsites, where MHers would "want" it.

I was just curious as to why you would think that more "visitors" (inc' Mhers?) would come to the UK after we had left the EU?....

(but it is amusing, how campsites that are out in the sticks in say France, will be considered "tranquil or "idyllic" ..but a similar location in the UK would be described as "stuck in the middle of nowhere" (lol) )

As for the Grenfell Tower site..do you really think that, with building land in the capital being at the premium that it is, they would make it into a campsite!? 8-)

Archived