Sea Sloop

mcubbin

Hi, new member and ex Vw campervan owner now looking for something a bit larger. I am particularly interested in panel van conversions with drop down beds. Two that seem to fit the bill are the La Strada Regent and the Sea Sloop. Are there any members who own or have owned either of these vans, I am particularly interested in servicing costs, fuel consumption and usability, I don't mind the climbing in an out of the bed, I have just spotted a low miles Sea Sloop 2.8 jtd 2006, I know they did not make the Sea Sloop on the newer Ducato, so would this model have any of the gearbox problems.

I had a 2.8 JTD and had no problems with the gearbox ie. juddergate as experienced on the later X250 generation of Fiat power plants.

There was a problem with oil supply to 5th gear but that was resolved in 2002.

I now have a 3 litre X250 and the increase in power is quite an improvement compared to the 2.8 JTD.

The 2.8 JTD, post 2002, is a good robust power plant in my view and suitable for tweaking if you find you need more power. However, if you're looking at a panel van conversion that probably won't be necessary.

No problems with servicing but I had to replace the front wheel bearings and one on the back. So, check the wheel bearings before buying. Think they improved the bearings in the later models up to 2006.

Fuel consumption was about 24mpg (Hymer coachbuilt) but others have recorded up to 30mpg. Depends a lot on vehicle type/load and driving style. You should expect a higher mpg with a PVC.

There are some comments on the SEA Sloop 5 here

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/21-newcomers/73338-devon-monaco-vs-sea-sloop-5-vs-wildax-aurora-vs-twin-etc.html

The La Strada Regent was built on a Mercedes Sprinter base and the conversion is likely to be better quality than the Sloop’s, but watch out for rust in the vehicle itself.

At the last NEC show I spoke to a converter who has used the Sprinter for years as a base for PVCs and he emphasised the need for very carefully inspection of older Sprinter vans. I asked whether there were areas that were particularly rust-prone and he replied “No - just check everywhere behind the Mercedes 3-pointed star..."

The 2.8 JTD unit is built by IVECO. I love its grunty lazy power delivery. Like all Fiats, there are difficulties in some servicing aspects, and servicing documentation is practically non-existent without downloading from source like Fiat Forum.

Mine's 2003 and only earlier ones had gearbox 5th. gear problems. It also has no EGR or Diesel Particulate Filter. Highly polluting environmentally but less troublesome.

One wonders when restrictions (already in some cities) will be more universally applied.

Archived