Multimo portable satellite dish

william4

I bought one many years ago. It's still working but now fixed permanently to the side of the house.

Think they come as standard with a suction mount but I never used that, prefering a small tripod (made by the same company).

The fixed central signal receiving horn means you don't have to mess around with the arm and LNB as on a conventional dish.

Overall, I've been very happy with mine. I'm sure the centrally mounted horn helps collect a stronger signal so you can effectively get away with a smaller dish.

On very large industrial dishes they use a fixed central LNB.

A lot depends where you intend to use it. Comments above seem to imply it is satisfactory in the UK.

My personal experience with one in France (near Royan on the Vendee) was not very successful.and that was a few years ago before the transfer of of BBC/ITV et al to Astra 2A etc.

Today's footprint below the Loire is seriously weakened now, and a 60cm,or better still a 80cm, dish is needed. The Multimo size is 40 cm but has a Cassegraine format which theoretically performs better than the standard 40cm dish, but it certainly wont perform like a 60cm or 80cm dish

Have a look at http://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

They're good dishes - we still carry one around for our rare bouts of TV watching. Compact to store, robust, easy to point/align and good performance for the size. Have used it all over the near-continent but not to watch UK channels - we go on holiday to get away from those :-)

I think people would be surprised just how far south a manual dish will pick up freesat channels with a bit of tweaking. I have a 68cm dish and got all channels at Prato Nevoso in Piedmont (40km from the Med) back in January.

Fine tuning by hand would appear to be better than the smallest increments possible with an auto system, but it does take some patience!

We also have a dome. No faffing around with meters. Just switch on and picks up satellite . We can get Uk channels a long way down in France and in Northern Spain. Easy to change to another satelite , just push a button and self searches. , useful for us to follow F1 on the German channels !1

The only disadvantage of a dome, is height, puts us just over 3 meters , which you need to remember.

PJay

Archived