Splendid TV and no sattelite on the roof.

A lot of members on the Carthago Owners UK forum appear to have this system installed on recently purchased vans. Carthago fit this system at the factory (so I guess it must be of German origin !!!).

Basically, it's like a car aerial mounted on the roof with a large metal baseplate underneath, stuck to the roof.

Don't exactly know how it works, but by all reports, it seems to receive satellite signals OK.

Some owners have complained about the metal baseplate rusting after only a short time.

Think I'll stick with my conventional satellite dish until this system becomes fully tried and tested :-D

Both Carthago and Hymer use a small whip aerial and an amplifier. On Hymer's the ground plane is in the roof so no rusty plate like Carthago.

Our van has the whip aerial with amplifiers for radio FM & DAB and TV also has a GPS receiver for satnav. The radio amplifier is powered by the radio and the TV on by the TV (need a TV with 5v antenna output).

TV reception, FM & DAB reception all superb, GPS receiver works well as well.

lennyhb - 2017-07-12 5:45 PM

Both Carthago and Hymer use a small whip aerial and an amplifier. On Hymer's the ground plane is in the roof so no rusty plate like Carthago.

Our van has the whip aerial with amplifiers for radio FM & DAB and TV also has a GPS receiver for satnav. The radio amplifier is powered by the radio and the TV on by the TV (need a TV with 5v antenna output).

Lenny, from what you've said, I assume the TV reception is only terrestrial.

I can't imagine the whip aerial with ground plate would pick up satellite signals (as suggested by Monique).

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-07-12 3:49 PM

It was not on a Van but a large motorhome...

Monique

It is common in the UK for “van” to be used to describe any sort of motorhome. It is a contraction of “motor caravan” and should really be written as “ ‘van ”, but usually is not.

Other usages are “moho”, “MH” and “home” (I’m sure there are more) with the last one being potentially ambiguous - for example “I keep my home on my home’s drive”.

Robbo - 2017-07-12 7:25 PM

I can't imagine the whip aerial with ground plate would pick up satellite signals (as suggested by Monique).

The title of the thread is "Splendid TV and NO satellite on the roof" so yes it is only terrestrial.

PJay - 2017-07-12 9:11 PM

Does it pick up UK TV when abroad ?

Only if they broadcast it, I think Holland broadcast some of the UK channels. Tt will pick up local stations in countries that use the same system, works fine on French TV channels apart from the fact I can't understand a word.

lennyhb - 2017-07-13 1:53 PM

Robbo - 2017-07-12 7:25 PM

The title of the thread is "Splendid TV and NO satellite on the roof" so yes it is only terrestrial.

Thanks Lenny for confirming that it's only the terrestrial TV signal that can be received.

I initially got the impression from Monique's post that the whip aerial + ground plate (plane) was an alternative to having a satellite dish on the roof.

If were talking about the same thing, my Elddis Sunseeker 115 came with a whip Aerial fitted as standard for digital tv, it works quite well considering it's omni directional and we have even received programs on sites that supply hook ups for the TV.

When they told me what it was I didn't think that it would work, the signal booster is just inside the back door.

Pete

Our Cathargo Compactline with whip aerial picked up terrestrial TV all the way to Sicily and back with quite alot of auto tuning each night. Made watching the euro cup final quite interesting without the commentator (sound turned off, as we couldn't understand him) The adjacent restaurant was full of Italian fans who provided the crowd noises.

I must agree generally the TV is excellent

alan

lennyhb - 2017-07-13 1:59 PM

PJay - 2017-07-12 9:11 PM

Does it pick up UK TV when abroad ?

Only if they broadcast it, I think Holland broadcast some of the UK channels. Tt will pick up local stations in countries that use the same system, works fine on French TV channels apart from the fact I can't understand a word.

Exactly ! Only picks up local TV. So appears no good for us Brits when in France/Spain.

My French is not good enough to understand Tv progs, and my Spanish is even worse! I even have trouble with some American speak !!

Archived