Air bag light fault - Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat 2010

dibs

My Peugeot Boxer 2010 had the dreaded airbag light not fully going out. I had taken the van for its Mot last month and the guy told me of the fault but said he just advised to get it fixed although it was technically a failure. He suggested it was an earthing fault as there was clearly no fault with the air bag or so he thought.

After trawling forums to find loads of info from people on Fiat/Peugeot forums with the same type of issue etc, the fault could be the SRS/Airbag ECU and earthing issue or the dash instrument cluster. The latter being the most likely as Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot have all had this problem. Seemingly crap electronic parts in the dashboard cluster. Warning lights stay on, gauges show inacurate information etc.

Anyway a new cluster is about £600 or £700 I believe, so I eliminated all the accessories I had added to the van like, reversing camera, reversing sensors and windscreen ariel in case any of these introduced a rogue earth etc. No luck all still the same.

I then removed the ECU and tested that as much as I could after reading up on it, still no joy so in depth look at the dash cluster. There are a couple of companies that refurbish them with better components and indeed undertake repairs for insurance companies and Fiat themselves. A full refurb of the cluster is £150. Seemed a lot to get my air bag light to go out. I could have left it till next years Mot, but I dont like things that dont work properly.

I packaged up the cluster and sent it away with a 24hr turnaround service. The company called me to say it was fixed and that there were more lights than I thought were faulty it was a full LED system failure. The Led's were all very dimly lit, and really only seen in the dark. The full refurbishment had fixed the problem.

Cluster now fitted back in the van and all is perfect with a life time warranty. So I spent quite a few days eliminating things before getting to this but maybe I shouldnt have bothered as this problem is seemingly so common that Fiat dont care and companies are running business off these faults.

I must say the company I used for the repair were brilliant although they did lighten my wallet by £150 plus postage, but a new cluster was a lot more and would also probably develop the fault in a few years or less as Fiat still use cheap chinese components I believe. They seemingly regularly replace clusters in warranty if the customer reports it.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was having any intermittent or odd dash warning lighting problems. I have now also heard that other manufacturers have similar issues and very common in cars too now. :-(

• 5 weeks later...
Twice in 6 years and 40000 miles I've had 'all the Christmas lights' come on. Both times it was solved by stopping, turning off and starting up again. The fault didn't show in the diagnostics at a garage and FIAT simply didn;t have any guidance to offer.... so IJ've just lived with it.

Archived