What safety equipment needed for France?

kevandali

Set of spare light bulbs.

Adjust/mask your headlamps for LHD

We still have an out-of-date pair of breathalysers which I don't plan to replace.  The shops on the ferries are still pushing breathalysers but I think the French Police have lost interest.   If you are goingto buy them, buy breathalysers off EBay rather than expensively on the ferry.

Kevandali

If your registration plates are not the euro type (with a blue stripe and GB inside the yellow stars) you need a GB sticker on the rear of the van. If both of you drive and one or both of you wear glasses for driving take spares.

Enjoy the trip though.

David

Breathalysers are not needed - even the French don't buy them.

Most people turn their headlights to the lowest 'dip' position rather than sticking deflectors on the glass - never seen anyone checked for headlight problems.

Learn the speed limits and keep to them - especially in towns and villages.

If a road sign says 'STOP' - Stop.

Don't drink and drive.

And the Gendarmes won't bother you

kevandali - 2017-07-14 10:27 PM

Hi All, not been to France for a few years.

Got warning triangle, fluorescent vests, square reflective striped safety board for back of bikes when travelling.

What else do I need?

Do I need a breathalyser?

Cheers in advance :-)

As Stuart says, remember to fit beam deflectors. Don't bother with the plastic type as 1) they are pricey and 2) they tend to fly off! I bought these which are simply adhesive backed foil; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Headlight-Deflectors-Headlamp-Converters-Eurolites-Beam-Adaptors-/281072721418?epid=1766878886&hash=item41713d5e0a:g:irgAAOSwyvBV997F

They identical ones are sold on the ferries for silly money so buy ebay. Mine have remained on the headlights the past five years now so that's how good they are. The Garage i use for MOT are ok about leaving them on but some might insist on removing them.

kevandali

You need to carry a warning triangle in your motorhome and a high visibility vest that should be immediately to hand (eg. in a cab door-pocket not hidden in a kitchen cupboard!)

There is no French legal requirement to have a reflective board on rear-mounted bikes, but it’s a good idea to have one.

There is no French legal requirement to carry spare light bulbs (There never was) but it’s no bad idea.

The French ‘breathalyser’ law is still on their statute books, but no fine can be levied for breaking that law and the French police (as far as I’m aware) never check.

Dipped headlamps must not dazzle oncoming traffic, but there is no French regulation defining how ’non dazzling’ should be produced. Fitting headlamp 'masks’ or ‘beam benders’ is consequently not legally mandatory. (My Skoda car’s headlamps have an in-built ‘driving abroad’ adjustment lever that modifies the dipped-beam pattern.)

You don’t NEED to carry spare ‘driving’ spectacles but, again, it makes sense to do so.

The French legal requirements are summarised correctly here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/compulsory-and-legal-requirements/

but not here

http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

With regard to headlight masking I have, on previous X250 and X290 vans, used clip on headlight protectors that usually come with the correct area for masking marked on and a set or two of masks. Simple to fit and remove back in the UK. There have been occasions when the French authorities have had a clamp down and stopped uk vehicles to inspect headlights/GB stickers etc. Might never happen to you but then again you could just end up driving st night in an emergency and dazzle an oncoming car..........for the cost of getting the correct items I don't think it's worth taking the risk.

We have been pulled in on three occasions in France and Spain on routine checks and on each occasion, by the time we were stopped in front of the officer, have been waved on. I suspect that seeing you have taken care to put beam masks on may just indicate to them that you are being responsible and it's not worth checking through all the other things.

David

david lloyd - 2017-07-15 5:38 PM

...There have been occasions when the French authorities have had a clamp down and stopped uk vehicles to inspect headlights/GB stickers etc....

David

I have seen in the past (on this forum and others) references to UK newspaper articles saying that French police were checking UK-registered vehicles at French ferry ports for legal compliance (GB stickers, headlamp masking, etc) and imposing on-the-spot fines if irregularities were found. The newspapers cited were always of the “Daily Mail” variety and I never had any faith in the stories' veracity.

Having said that, I’ve also suggested on this forum that sticking masks/converters on a UK-registered vehicle’s left-dipping headlamps could be a useful ‘ploy’ to encourage French police carrying out their quite common roadside checks that the driver was aware of the anti-dazzle requirement and was visibly doing something about it.

My point was that ‘masking/beam-bending’ the headlamps of a UK-registered vehicle is not mandatory provided that its headlamps do not dazzle, and merely not having masks/converters on the headlamps is not an offence. If the headlamps were right-dipping or had a ‘driving abroad’ mechanism, clearly putting masks/benders on them would be a perverse thing to do.

Just to add to Dereks comment regarding the Yellow Vests you are required to have one for everybody in the vehicle not just one, and they must have them on if they exit the vehicle. i.e. it is illegal to exit the van and retrieve the vests from the garage.

You often see vehicles in France and elsewhere with the jackets dropped over the front seats ready for use.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-15 6:56 PM

david lloyd - 2017-07-15 5:38 PM

...There have been occasions when the French authorities have had a clamp down and stopped uk vehicles to inspect headlights/GB stickers etc....

David

I have seen in the past (on this forum and others) references to UK newspaper articles saying that French police were checking UK-registered vehicles at French ferry ports for legal compliance (GB stickers, headlamp masking, etc) and imposing on-the-spot fines if irregularities were found. The newspapers cited were always of the “Daily Mail” variety and I never had any faith in the stories' veracity.

Having said that, I’ve also suggested on this forum that sticking masks/converters on a UK-registered vehicle’s left-dipping headlamps could be a useful ‘ploy’ to encourage French police carrying out their quite common roadside checks that the driver was aware of the anti-dazzle requirement and was visibly doing something about it.

My point was that ‘masking/beam-bending’ the headlamps of a UK-registered vehicle is not mandatory provided that its headlamps do not dazzle, and merely not having masks/converters on the headlamps is not an offence. If the headlamps were right-dipping or had a ‘driving abroad’ mechanism, clearly putting masks/benders on them would be a perverse thing to do.

Yes, sorry Derek, I wasn't questioning your point that it is not mandatory in any way, just reinforcing the point that a) the police do stop and check vehicles from time to time and b) that unknowingly dazzling oncoming traffic (whether on the continent or in the UK) can have serious consequences and should be given due thought and attention. As you say, the method of avoiding this occurring is up to the individual, as is the responsibility for deciding whether to actually do something about it or just ignore it and drive over there without taking any measures to ensure you are not likely to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Regards

David

DJA

The current requirements for items that MUST be carried in a vehicle being driven in France are as I indicated above

- ONE warning triangle.

- ONE high visibility jacket.

- ONE breathalyser (though there is no fine for non-compliance with this requirement).

The high visibility jacket rule is correctly explained here

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187070-c98919/France:High.Visibility.Jackets.html

but not here

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france/

Right from Square One, when the triangle/jacket law was introduced in 2008, there has been argument (in the UK) over how many jackets are legally required to be carried (example here)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=157222

But lit is plain from the text of the French law itself that the requirement is for a single jacket to be carried and a single warning triangle. This French link provides the background

http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/connaitre-les-regles/le-vehicule/le-triangle-et-le-gilet

A similar argument occurred (in the UK) when the French breathalyser law was introduced. It was abundantly clear that the law demanded carriage of a single breathalyser, but it was reqularly insisted that two were required.

It made logical sense to carry two breathalysers, in the same way that it makes logical sense to carry sufficient high-viz jackets for every person travelling in a vehicle just in case they all have to exit the vehicle in a dangerous place in an emergency. But choosing to carry more than one breathalyser, or more than one high-viz jacket, is not what French law insists on.

PJay - 2017-07-16 3:52 PM

Re Dereks earlier post.

I thought you had to carry 2 warning Triangles? One close to van and one further back to warn oncoming traffic?

PJay

One placed X number of feet/metres from the rear....and this applies to most European countries.

Given the British obsession with safety and "law obedience", i find it odd that here in UK only vehicles registered after July 1st 2006 are required to carry a triangle. Older vehicles are exempt! Maybe because they don't breakdown so often! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2017-07-16 4:32 PM

Re Dereks earlier post.

I thought you had to carry 2 warning Triangles? One close to van and one further back to warn oncoming traffic?

PJay

One placed X number of feet/metres from the rear....and this applies to most European countries.

Given the British obsession with safety and "law obedience", i find it odd that here in UK only vehicles registered after July 1st 2006 are required to carry a triangle. Older vehicles are exempt! Maybe because they don't breakdown so often! (lol)

Thanks Paul

SO for the last 11 years we have been illegal. Interesting as I bought a anew car in 20011 , came supplied with 1 yellow vest, but NO triangle. Also we have recently changed our car for a new one , no mention of a triangle !1 ODD really when most NEW cars come now without a proper spare wheel ! We insisted having a proper spare, so the salesman just went and took one from anther car!

PJay

PS have 2 in van , so will take one out and put in car!

P

Re Dereks earlier post.

PJay

Pjay

I think Derek is correct regarding France but in Spain you have to have two. In the event of a breakdown a warning triangle should be positioned approximately 50M from the vehicle and visible from 100M. However, on a two way carraigeway one should be positioned at the rear of the vehicle the other at the front and both at the same distances.

So, even if it is only one in some countries it is perhaps wise - and in the case of Spain necessary - to carry two.

David

Sorry, just to clarify, it is certainly compulsory for Spanish registered vehicles to carry two and display as above - and although supposedly not compulsory for non Spanish registered vehicle (according to the AA) drivers are advised by them to carry two as local officers may impose an on the spot fine if only one is available. On the other hand Autoexpress, in their advice on using your vehicle in Spain, maintain it is mandatory to carry two......I think I'll leave my two on board!

David

PJay - 2017-07-16 5:05 PM

Re Dereks earlier post.

PJay

Thanks Paul

SO for the last 11 years we have been illegal. Interesting as I bought a anew car in 20011 , came supplied with 1 yellow vest, but NO triangle. Also we have recently changed our car for a new one , no mention of a triangle ! ODD really when most NEW cars come now without a proper spare wheel ! We insisted having a proper spare, so the salesman just went and took one from anther car!

PJay

PS have 2 in van , so will take one out and put in car!

Given the small amount of room required it is as you say, odd! I notice Merc and BMW for example have long fitted them to the underside of the boot lid. During my travels i've seen a few roadside breakdowns and notice ALL used their triangle.

...Given the British obsession with safety and "law obedience", i find it odd that here in UK only vehicles registered after July 1st 2006 are required to carry a triangle. Older vehicles are exempt! Maybe because they don't breakdown so often! (lol)

To the best of my knowledge there is no legal requirement that motorists travelling in the UK must carry a warning-triangle (or a high-viz jacket) in their vehicle, whatever the registration-date of that vehicle.

There is an on-line reference to a 1st July 2006 vehicle-registration date ‘triangle’ regulation

https://www.aa.co.za/services/technical-services/legal-advice/legal-questions/red-triangles.html

but this relates to SOUTH AFRICA.

Brittany Ferries website has useful advice on driving in France, Spain and Portugal, including a checklist for each of those countries

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/france

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/spain

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/portugal

The following GOOGLE-translated advice from a French website may help with the French jacket/triangle rules

"HOW TO USE THE SAFETY VEST

The safety vest must be worn by the driver before leaving the vehicle, night and day, regardless of the visibility conditions, following an emergency stop. The vest should be easily accessible (in the glove compartment, under the seat, etc.). On a motorway, the driver wearing his safety vest must leave his vehicle on the passenger side and place himself behind the slides as quickly as possible.

HOW TO USE THE TRIANGLE

The pre-signaling triangle shall be on board the vehicle.

The triangle is mandatory if the vehicle is immobilized on the roadway.

The triangle is not mandatory if the vehicle is stationary on the emergency stop band (BAU), which is not part of the roadway.

If the immobilized vehicle encroaches on the roadway of the highway, the driver must consider the use of the triangle.

As a general rule, the triangle is not compulsory when its installation, on any type of road, constitutes a danger to the life of the driver, which it is up to him to evaluate.

The waistcoat and the triangle must comply with the regulations in force (CE marking for the vest and certification by the marking "E 27 R" for the triangle."

(When I purchased a Hobby motorhome in 2005 from a German dealership I was presented with a warning-triangle and first-aid kit free of charge. The dealer said that, as it was a legal requirement for a driver in Germany to carry both of those items in his/her vehicle, Hobby had a policy of providing a triangle and kit to all buyers of new motorhomes. As you’ve mentioned, BMW and Mercedes cars have a dedicated triangle-carrying position and, in fact, my Skoda car has a couple of rubber straps in its boot designed to carry a fold-away triangle. There was, however, no triangle in the straps when I bought the car.)

As Usual Derek, helpful advice. Looking at Spain as a guide. it states age minimum, but not an upper age limit! We have on many occasions rented cars abroad, but not in recent years.

Has any one had a problem with age/ (older)

I guess if you have a valid driving licence for your own country , that should be OK.

We have not tried to hire since OH reached 80, ( except in UK) when we needed a car after an accident (not our fault)

PJay

I don’t think any country has an upper-age limit for vehicle driving generally (though I can envisage the military not being keen on nonagenarians driving tanks!!).

As explained here

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/enjoying/is-there-an-upper-age-limit-for-car-hire

insurance companies can set an upper-age limit for vehicle rental, but that’s not the same as a ‘licence to drive’ upper-age limit.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-17 7:10 AM

...Given the British obsession with safety and "law obedience", i find it odd that here in UK only vehicles registered after July 1st 2006 are required to carry a triangle. Older vehicles are exempt! Maybe because they don't breakdown so often! (lol)

To the best of my knowledge there is no legal requirement that motorists travelling in the UK must carry a warning-triangle (or a high-viz jacket) in their vehicle, whatever the registration-date of that vehicle.

There is an on-line reference to a 1st July 2006 vehicle-registration date ‘triangle’ regulation

https://www.aa.co.za/services/technical-services/legal-advice/legal-questions/red-triangles.html

but this relates to SOUTH AFRICA.

LOL......good spot that Derek! I just saw AA and never noticed the url! Seems the Africans are ahead of us with road safety. :D

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-17 8:43 AM

I don’t think any country has an upper-age limit for vehicle driving generally (though I can envisage the military not being keen on nonagenarians driving tanks!!).

As explained here

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/enjoying/is-there-an-upper-age-limit-for-car-hire

insurance companies can set an upper-age limit for vehicle rental, but that’s not the same as a ‘licence to drive’ upper-age limit.

Thanks for the link/ Looks like may have to try sometime. we know we Ok in UK, just wondered if any one new otherwise , basically in Spain I read the Saga link as in UK, but have had bad experience with them, so will not insure with them again.

Hopefully we are going to get there this year, so perhaps try and see . It would be nice to see some places which we would not take the van to. .

PJay

Archived