Calais to Dordogne region- where to break journey?

kevandali

Hello you lovely lot.

Ferry booked for Thursday 27th July (I know its not an ideal time to go)
Just wondered what you whizzened old veterans of the road, sorry, sorry,(lol) meant knowledgeable, experienced whiley, motorhome meanderers, thought about our chosen route to the Dordogne?
We have planned to miss Paris this time and hopefully pay slightly less tolls on the way down.

Apart from your approval of the said route, I would like any ideas of where to stop over on the way down, as we are as yet unsure wether to bite the bullet and do it in one go or look at stopping after the 4 or 5 hour mark.
As usual, your comments are most welcome.
Kev and Ali (have attached a picture of our route so far) :-) 

Calais-Dordogne.thumb.jpg.c3bf63859c78bc9ac288f08d529643bd.jpg

There is an Aire and also a good municipal campsite at Chateaudun, about 20 miles South of Chartres not far off the N10 if you are going that way. The gates of the campsite are open until 10pm although we usually get there by 3-4pm from the ferry at Calais.  There is a bigger Aire at the nearby St Dennis le Pont, which is not much of a diversion, where there is also a nice big Leclerc to get cheap fuel.

The Aire by the Marie at Nonacourt is also handy for your route if you want to stop earlier but only five cramped spaces and it tends to be full.

StuartO - 2017-07-18 9:47 AMThere is an Aire and also a good municipal campsite at Chateaudun, about 20 miles South of Chartres not far off the N10 if you are going that way. There is a bigger Aire at the nearby St Dennis le Pont, where there is also a nice big Leclerc to get cheap fuel.

That was quick, will check it out, Cheers, much appreciated.

We usually have the aire at Marboué as our first stop when travelling south and west of Paris. It’s about 250 miles from Calais.

Heading south the aire is a RHT off the N10, just before it crosses the Loir (not the Loire!) River. It is signed but this is low down on the side wall of a building - just keep a sharp lookout. If you cross the river you’ve missed it!

The aire itself is in a pleasant parkland setting. Parking is free with a charge for water and electricity. There is a clean public toilet.

Co-ordinates off Campingcar-infos.com Latitude : (Nord) 48.11236° Décimaux ou 48° 6' 44''

Longitude : (Est) 1.32866° Décimaux ou 1° 19' 43''

Cattwg :-D

Du Chateau De Leychoisier near Limoges is very quiet, clean, near main route and has a great restaurant.

Main downside is €37 per night and €7 for wifi which is taking the Michael when a Municipal can do €18 per night with free wifi.

I stayed on the municipal at Chateaudun last month. As Stuart says, it's a pleasant site and very reasonable at 3 euros for a pitch and 3.50 per person (or possibly the other way round). I parked on the aire during the day, while visiting the town, and would have had no qualms about staying there had I been looking for just a night stop.

kevandali - 2017-07-19 1:56 PMThanks for all the info, one quick question, has anyone drove straight to the Dordogne from Calais??
Better half is concerned that as we only have 9 days in France, we will spend too much time travelling if we have a stop over.

I think you would need to use the autoroutes (and pay the tolls) to do a journey that long in one go and even then it might be a stretch.

Well, a decision has been made (at the moment) *-)
We are getting the 4.30am ferry but can get one 4 hours earlier if we make it to Dover on time. 
Going to bite the bullet, pay the tolls, share the driving and get straight down to the Dordogne as soon as poss.
Wouldn't normally do this but we have a limited amount of days off.
Going to now look for a very quiet no frills or bels campsite on the Dordogne river..... if there is one?
We have also found a little site enroute, just in case, called Camping La Foret de Tesse with is in a place called Grosbout which is about 430 miles from Calais, we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks again for all the help.

kevandali - 2017-07-18 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the info, one quick question, has anyone drove straight to the Dordogne from Calais??

Better half is concerned that as we only have 9 days in France, we will spend too much time travelling if we have a stop over.

Using autoroutes yes. Cannot remember how long but ok. I drove back from Bordeaux to Calais in less than a day and every winter drive from St. Gervais in French Alps to Calais in about 9 hours, that is 560 miles.

mgnbuk - 2017-07-19 7:35 PMIs this your last trip in the "old" van, Kev, or first trip in the new one ?Nigel B
Not 100% sure yet, if all goes to plan, pick it up Tuesday, pack and away on Wednesday, if things don't go to plan, last trip in old van.

colin - 2017-07-19 7:02 PM

Last time we went down that way stopped off at Lamotte Beuvron aire, take the D2020 off A71.

It's a long drive all the way to Dordogne.

GPS coordinates for LaMotte-Beuvron aire, if using sat nav: N47.59808 E2.02475 There is a note that a fair or market may occupy the site.

tonyishuk - 2017-07-22 4:09 PM

We normally go Rouen ->> Blois, then down to the Peage. It's a good run with light ish traffic

We break journey at Cheveny, there is a little family run site just south of Cheveney called Les Suales ( spl?)

Rgds

GPS coordinates for Camping Les Saules, Cheverny: N47.47863 E1.45217

colin - 2017-07-19 7:02 PMLast time we went down that way stopped off at Lamotte Beuvron aire, take the D2020 off A71.It's a long drive all the way to Dordogne.
Cheers Colin and Brian for the co-ordinates, do you avoid Paris, Colin?
If so, which way do you go.
Cheers

Last time we went down that way we went Rouen, Chartres, and picked up autoroute somewhere near Orleans, note we had sat nav set to avoid tolls, coming back we went to Versailles so had to head further towards Paris which means heavier traffic. Not sure which would be quicker as it wasn't a priority for us.

How far to drive in a day will differ person to person, 3 hours daily is very relaxed if that's your choice.I get off the night ferry at Roscoff about 7 30 and drive to friends in Ruffec by 6pm. When I return from Spain I do the journey from Sitges to Ruffec in one day to spend a couple of days again with our friends, it suits me to do it this way, my choice, not for everyone.

Just one comment on your route, that I didn't originally spot: you ain't got to the Dordogne! The destination isn't stated, but it appears to be somewhere near Limoges.

To get to the Dordogne you'd need to go further south, say Bergerac. That is about 545 miles via toll autoroute (the quickest at 9hrs 30 minutes continuous driving, via Arras, Paris, Orleans, Vierzon, Limoges, Brive and Perigueux), and about 530 miles if avoiding tolls (taking about 11hrs 30 minutes continuous driving via Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans, Vierzon, Limoges, and Perigueux). These times are at motorhome realistic speeds, and should be realistic - traffic permitting.

Note that by "continuous driving" I mean just that: no stops whatever for fuel meals, toilet breaks etc. Neither of the above allows for traffic hold-ups (likely, IMO, in July, but less problematic mid-week. Do especially avoiding the weekends at either end of the month).

As you're proposing an early start, have you considered a late evening ferry and driving overnight? That should give you much clearer roads, allowing steady cruising to be maintained. It will also be cooler, and you won't be driving into strong sun, which adds to the fatigue. Mind, you'll arrive knackered! :-D

Thanks everyone for all the super advice, there is so much good info that will hopefully help others as well.

Got a flex ticket so will be getting the ferry sometime between 8.30pm on Wed and 4.40 Thurs morning......
I will take all the info onboard 'the next time' we go to the Dordogne!
Having considered the points such as:- information received, distance, time available and the overall effect 'cabin fever' will have on myself and my better half, a decision has finally been made.
We are off to the Brittany region via Honfleur 8-)

We know we will be chancing the weather but we realise we just want to get to where we get to and chill.
A happy wife is a happy life :-)
Thanks again everyone, I daren't ask about Brittany :-)
(You swung the decision, Brian, when I read it I just couldn't imagine doing it)

Not sure if Brian is quoting from personal experience here but I certainly would not go that way. The autoroute from Arras to Paris is one of the busy ones and Paris is a nightmare around the ring road if you do not know it, avoid at all costs. I would go Abbeville, Rouen, easy to get through these days, Chatres, Orleans A bit is off autoroute but is a fast road. From Limoges it depends what part of the area you wish to get to..

Nor would I Henry, and via Rouen would also be my choice. I just let "Autoroute" do a no tolls route and a tolls route, and listed its choices. Mainly (apart from pointing out that the route in Kevin's OP seemed to stop short of the Dordogne!), to illustrate that the gain in time from using autoroutes all the way, for a journey of that distance, was likely to be only about two hours. That's quite an expensive two hours! I think he's wise to settle for a shorter journey, and I hope he enjoys it, despite going in July! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-07-24 3:09 PM

Nor would I Henry, and via Rouen would also be my choice. I just let "Autoroute" do a no tolls route and a tolls route, and listed its choices. Mainly (apart from pointing out that the route in Kevin's OP seemed to stop short of the Dordogne!), to illustrate that the gain in time from using autoroutes all the way, for a journey of that distance, was likely to be only about two hours. That's quite an expensive two hours! I think he's wise to settle for a shorter journey, and I hope he enjoys it, despite going in July! :-D

OK Brian fair enough. However I reckon Autoroute is miles out with the time differances, especially in peak season, and time gain will be a lot more than two hours

Archived