Help...Lakeside/River camping/Aire 4 hours from Calais

kevandali

Hi Everyone.

I thought we were going to the Dordogne a week on Thursday and we still might be, however.........
We only have 9 days and the boss/other half didn't realise how far the Dordogne was from Calais.

Another option would be to decide on roughly a 4 hour drive from Calais aiming for a lakeside/river area, campsites or Aires.

I know this is very vague but one of you well travelled lot might have some sort of idea that would help.
Main aimes for us will be chilling out, walks and bike rides, in that order.
Thanks in advance for any help, keeping the Dordogne thread going as its still an option but other half wants to be relaxing asap as opposed to travelling.
Cheers
Kev

Not quite 4 hours from Calais, but we have often stayed at the municipal site at Pont L'Arche, just south of Rouen. Right by the river Seine, just where the River Eure joins it. Lovely little village, nice shops, eating places a bit basic, but we would be interested if anyone has found a decent restaurant there! Site right by the river, aire by the side of it. Turn left as soon as you get out of the tunnel approaching Rouen, and you need not go through Rouen.

I would second Pont de l'Arche.

The aire is however small, only four places, perhaps six and it is very popular so usually full.

However, just a few yards further on (away from the bridge) there is a municipal camp site and that is not too expensive and very good. If you like fishing it is a great spot but it is also good for walks or bird watching. There is a well made cycle path along the river and I had an unexpected and enforced three day stay there and I enjoyed it.

The town is very close by and worth a visit too.

I have just had a look on Google Earth and it looks as though there are now more spaces at the aire.

Mick Bajcar

If you are abandoning the Dordogne as too far for a short holiday, why not settle for the Loire Valley, which is within one day of Calais?

I mentioned Chateaudun site on the other thread and although most people use it for short stopps, we have stayed there for up to 16 nights, on a riverside pitch, 10 amp electrics and clean shower block - all for 13€ per night.

Vendome is a bit further on and has a nice site by a river and a short level walk from the nice town.  Bit if roadnoise there but we enjoyed the stay.  Both locations offer a good base for day trips to chateau etc.  Chartres is also worth a visit.

The aire at Pont de l'Arche is now a pay site not much about 5 euros I think but watch out for the travellers who also use this area a few times every year. Small campsite is worth looking at and at the same spot but has gates. B-)

The Dordogne is MUCH to far to go for the short time the OP has. He could try the Loire area much closer and loads of aires and nice camp sites to try.

Archived