Caen campsite

sandalwood

sandalwood - 2017-07-23 11:57 AM

Coming back from Caen, early ferry! Anyone know SAFE campsite not too far away from ferry terminal. No wild camping please!

Ian :-D

We always use the " Seasonova " site ( formerly called Les Pommiers ).

It's just five minutes drive from the terminal.

There's also a very convenient supermarket just over the road so you can top up your wine supply the day before. ( Although store is closed on Sundays I believe).

;-)

Just had a look at their website and it seems it is known now as ' Le Riva Bella '

Was known as Les Pommiers for many years - and run as a municipal - but new owners have taken over who plan to 'bring it up to date '

From rear gate there is a walk along the canal - only about 15 min walk into centre of Ouistreham.

When there 9 July Carrefour was open on Sunday although their website said it was not.. Also their fuel is not as cheap as the those closer to Caen.

Riva Bella per night is now nearly 30 Euros (Summer rates). but if you book through CMC (and I think the CCC) it;s £16.80

Hi,

Used the Aire by the ferry terminal a couple of weeks ago they have fitted it with barriers now so you need to use a card its £10 for the night there is a service point that is included in the price convenient for terminal and restaurants and watching ferries arrive and depart useful if taking morning ferry.

Geoff C

Cruisecontrol - 2017-07-23 1:45 PM

When there 9 July Carrefour was open on Sunday although their website said it was not.. Also their fuel is not as cheap as the those closer to Caen.

Riva Bella per night is now nearly 30 Euros (Summer rates). but if you book through CMC (and I think the CCC) it;s £16.80

The tarifs for Seasonova’s “Le Riva Bella” campsite at Ouistreham can be found here

http://vacances-seasonova.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/RIVA-BELLA.pdf

Although the cost of a ‘standard’ pitch is now 29€ during July/August, there is a tarmaced area where up to 20 motorhomes can park for 15€ per vehicle including 230V electricity and use of a service-pedestal (fresh-water/waste-emptying) and toilets. (This area can be seen to the left of the arrow on the attached drawing) Being quite close to a roundabout the motorhome parking area is prone to traffic noise, but for an overnight halt prior to catching the early ferry, this may not be a serious issue. It’s where we normally overnight when returning to the UK, staying on a car-park on the way out.

It needs saying perhaps that the campsite is being heavily developed by Seasonova, with a swimming-pool being built when we were there in June and the number of ‘chalets’ greatly increased.

The special CMC price is mentioned here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas/france/normandy/riva-bella/

It’s worth noting that wi-fi is not free except (if I remember correctly) for an initial 10 minutes.

plan-Riva-Bella.jpg.79d1c53b56cadb8af344450bd4f042e4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Used Riva Bella on 31st July for an overnight before a morning ferry crossing. I've used this site for the last few years from when it was Les Pommiers and it is very much improved. All of the shanties have been removed, the swimming pool is now finished and they are building a new second sanitary block having upgraded the old one. Showers are very good with plenty of hot water. They have installed a lot of permanent mobile homes but still plenty of camping pitches. It's now 30 euros instead of 20 but you gets what you pays for. Whereas I was happy to use it for a stop before/after the ferry I'd now consider using it for a few days to see the beach landing museums and Pegasus bridge sites etc.

Archived