Rearview camera for motorhome based on Ford Ranger

popotla

Hello, I'd like to ask your advice.

I'm about to buy a pickup plus built-on cabin motorhome which can be seen here:

https://www.burow-reisemobile.de/pick-up/oman-ford-ranger/

For the Ford Ranger, a "Ford extra" rearview camera can be had for about 300 pounds, which I assume includes fitting. The "optional-extra" rearview camera for the Burow-Oman lists at about 870 pounds, obviously quite a difference.

The Ford Ranger will be delivered new to the company doing the conversion and so I asked about having the Ford camera. In answer to this I was told that the camera fitted for 870 pounds is "a special one" that serves as a rear-view mirror (when driving) and a camera that "looks directly downwards" when reversing. I don't yet know which type/make/model this is but have been doing research and already know a lot more about these cameras than I did a couple of days ago.

OK, the Ford camera would come fitted to the back of the pickup and wouldn't be suitable, I can now assume, for use with this motorhome. However, the price difference still remains. I know that suppliers of this type of vehicle like to make their money on various extras, which are-presumably-charged out at cost +labour+healthy mark-up (and of course they're not, and rightly so, charitable institutions who just want to recoup their product-plus-labour costs).

Should I go ahead and pay this substantial sum for the camera to be fitted pre-delivery, or should I look for a camera later and have it fitted? (I shan't be doing it myself.) The people doing this conversion will know perfectly well how to make a very good job of everything, all the right places for screws and wiring .... but I could get a camera and have it fitted for less money (and more inconvenience and perhaps some risk). (?) (?)

Hi

I have a twin camera fitted to the rear of my motorhome. V1 acts as a rear view mirror and v2 looks down to assist reversing. Whilst I fitted it myself the bits were under £200.00. A charge of a hundred for fitting would seem a fair price making the total up to £300. Try, I will provide the kit, how much to fit. Then look on the internet or at the adverts in MMM or similar mag.

£800.00 seems outrageous to me.

regards

art

Popotia

A camera system comprising a monitor that mounts on a vehicle’s interior rear-view mirror and a camera that allows a ‘long’ rearwards-looking view when driving and a wide-angle ‘look down’ view when reversing can be quite cheap to buy or relatively expensive. For example, this system is advertised at £499, but CAMOS is a very reputable make.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/01c01-camos-camera-systems/camos-cm-49-twin-lens-camera-7-mirror-monitor-d4857a/D4857A

You should check with Burow what make/model of camera system they would fit for £870. If it’s a high-end system like the CAMOS one, the price might be understandable. If it’s a system that can be obtained on-line for, say, £200, plainly retro-fitting should be a significantly cheaper option.

As you’ve said in your final sentence, if Burow fits the system they should (one hopes!) do it properly and the system should be included within the Burow warranty (Best you confirm that would be the case). It’s stating the obvious, but if the vehicle does not have a camera system when you take delivery, you’ll need to rely on its exterior mirrors when reversing (and for a rear-view when driving) until you can get a system fitted.

Fitting a system to the type of vehicle you are buying should be very straightforward during the conversion stage and £870 does seem a lot even if the system were high-end. Can’t you negotiate on the price?

Archived