Isofix for child seat in new motorhome

Zawadi

My wife and I are looking to venture into the world of motorhomes and have basic requirement that is currently not being answered anywhere. Having searched the forums the last thread is from 2015, so is now very dated.

Our daughter is about to change into a high back booster seat for travelling ion the car and we have isofix in the car. The seat we are buying is isofix but I cannot find any mainstream manufacturer that offers this as a specification. We are looking to get a minimum 4, probably 6 berth, so have been looking at the Stoneleigh show recently at the likes of Swift.

Can anyone pass on the benefit of their research into Isofix so that I can inform our choice. Many thanks

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/al-ko-introduces-isofix-seat-belt-frame-for-motorhomes

Welcome Zawadi. The above link probably says it all. Many motorhome manufacturers use the AlKo chassis and as the article says Alko only designed an isofix chassis in 2016 and no manufacturer took up the option in 2017. The chances of any motorhome having isofix is close to nil if not nil. Reasons would be cost [including crash testing] and limited market appeal.

My 2013 Hymer handbook goes as far as to say Fiat seats' are unsuitable for fixing child seat restraints. It says I could fit them if I had a Mercedes base. Even then, they will not be isofix. In fairness to Hymer, I doubt there are many travel seats that would be suitable for children. In the 90s we used to travel with the kids belted, whether in a child seat or not, but we wouldn't dream of it now.

There have been attempts by motorhomes to make up their own isofix points by welding a bar in the appropriate place but these would not have been crash tested.

Best advice I can give you is to start looking at 2018 models, if you can stretch your budget that far, or buy a caravan and ensure whatever towcar you use is fitted with isofix.

Have also been looking into isofix in motorhomes so I can safely take my grandson with us but as yet it appears nobody is using them. I did read that some companies are looking into using isofix but that is in the future. My seat belts don't even lock when pulled fully out and retracted like in the car so that means I can't use any child seat safely. Yet another thoughtless action my motorhome desingers.

stevec176 - 2017-07-24 2:35 PM

Have also been looking into isofix in motorhomes so I can safely take my grandson with us but as yet it appears nobody is using them. I did read that some companies are looking into using isofix but that is in the future. My seat belts don't even lock when pulled fully out and retracted like in the car so that means I can't use any child seat safely. Yet another thoughtless action my motorhome desingers.

Swift have just responded to me that they have no plans to introduce it as yet, but have looked into it. The manufacturers seem to be playing to the more mature stereotype and isolating those who have children. Very disappointing.

The 2017 Kanus Boxstar range (PVCs) offers an option for Isofix attachments "per seat" and, if you specify the optional (adjustable for rake, reach and lateral position), individual forward-facing dinette seats in lieu of the standard bench seat, 3 point Isofix attachments are included as standard. Other converters may follow this for 2018.

Most (I'd go so far as to say all current) motorhome rear bench seats are unsuitable for child seat attachment as they do not provide adequate lateral support, allowing seat belt restrained child seats to tilt sideways, especially on the seat nearest the gangway. This seat is also liable, IMO, to allow a drowsing adult to loll sideways toward the gangway.

Brian Kirby - 2017-07-24 3:52 PM

The 2017 Kanus Boxstar range (PVCs) offers an option for Isofix attachments "per seat" and, if you specify the optional (adjustable for rake, reach and lateral position), individual forward-facing dinette seats in lieu of the standard bench seat, 3 point Isofix attachments are included as standard. Other converters may follow this for 2018.

Most (I'd go so far as to say all current) motorhome rear bench seats are unsuitable for child seat attachment as they do not provide adequate lateral support, allowing seat belt restrained child seats to tilt sideways, especially on the seat nearest the gangway. This seat is also liable, IMO, to allow a drowsing adult to loll sideways toward the gangway.

THanks for the detailed info Brian. Appreciated

Brian Kirby - 2017-07-24 6:32 PM

You're welcome! BTW, I've just discovered that similar is also available on the Malibu PVCs.

Thanks again. The market isn't quite so bad if you refine the searches to isofix as an optional extra. That said, the models we like don't deliver the option :-(

Archived