Andorra

DD100

Travelling through France this August and visiting friends around Toulouse and saw that Andorra is just a few hours away. Has anyone been there in recent years? If so, is it worth it? Can you freedom camp?

DD100 - 2017-07-25 4:17 PM

Travelling through France this August and visiting friends around Toulouse and saw that Andorra is just a few hours away. Has anyone been there in recent years? If so, is it worth it? Can you freedom camp?

Yes it is worth it, as are the Pyrenees in general, was there in June this year. Personally we do not layby camp as prefer to spend a little money in the local communities. Plenty of cheap aires in the French bits anyway so you can drive in easily.

In the past, it was me who posted about Andorra and insurance, as I had noted that it wasn't explicitly covered (in the non-Green Card section) of my then policy. The different policies I've had since then have all included it.

Personally, I wouldn't divert to Andorra unless I had a particular target (or if I wanted to simply "tick it off"). There is undoubtedly some good walking and climbing to be had if you get out of the main valley, but (IMO) the main settlement (La Vella) is, or certainly was, a pretty unattractive, over-developed place.

As has already been suggested, there are some very nice areas on the French side of the Pyrenees.

We diverted briefly into Andorra from the south and, as suggested above, found La Vella particularly unrewarding.

In fact 'briefly' isn't quite the correct term because although our visit was brief, perhaps 30 mins, it then took another hour to clear customs back into Spain as we and another motorhome ahead of us were subject to a thorough search. Perhaps ANPR cameras had logged the short nature of our visit and presumed we had called in to stock up on duty-free stuff or perhaps we were just unlucky.

Went through Andorra some years ago - just out of curiosity - and spent all our time in a long traffic jam through what reminded me of Oxford street.

So - didn't stop - and doubt if I would try it again.

( But I do like the Pyrenees in general ).

;-)

Andorra can be stunningly cheap for buying goodies, but do be aware of the low (non-eu) limits on alcohol and tobacco. Tyres are a popular purchase, as they are not obvious to the customs man.

We found Andorra interesting as a 'one-off' place to visit, but apart from skiing in the winter months, or mountain walking, there was not a lot to grab our attention (no chateau, or sites of historical interest etc)..

I personalty wouldn't bother but I've been there once which was enough. But unless you go you'll not know what it's like. Don't leave you with much of a choice really, But don't be put of the Pyrenees as their great plenty of attractions and wild camping opportunity's The link I'd not miss and you can overnight at the terminal.

http://www.altiservice.com/en/excursion/train-artouste

Archived