The Trek E Bike. Any comments

Will86

Only to comment that we have a couple of Freego E bikes, they do very well what it says in the brochure.

When we brought, Freego offered a rent it for the day scheme, and you got the rental back if you purchased one. Had them for three years, no problems other than minor adjustments to gears, brakes as you would have with any bike.

Rgds

Recently purchased a Juicy poco its suitable for the shorter height rider.

I'm 5' 1" but my husband 5' 10" feels comfortable riding it.

I like the step through design now that I'm not as agile as I was when I purchased my previous mountain bike.

The electric motor makes the hills so much easier I live in the Peak District.

The only problem we've had is fitting it onto our bike carrier. We have a Atera DL tow bar mounted rack which we love, unfortunately the new bike is not only much heavier even with batteries removed the base measurements are much longer than the standard bike. We've settled for a heavy duty Pendle tow bar mounted rack which will accommodate 2 heavy electric bikes.

I hired a fold up e bike a couple of times and they didn't seem as stable as the non folding type.

You have not answered my question but Trek are expensive for what they are. If you just want a decent bike with a good battery that will climb hills then my wife and I both have Woosh bikes. We do trips from our van on a regular basis and in June I did the Col d'Aspin in the Pyrenees on mine, not the most extreme col but for an old bloke who is not that fit any more something I certainly could not do on a normal blke. I have a Woosh Bermuda that was £950, she has a Woosh Petite that was £899.

As said ... "Son in law is buying one this weekend so can try his but thought I would ask as well. I've no idea which model it is but he has to go to Cambridge for it"

When its here I will do my own tests and see if I should also buy one. However we have no hills nearby so I will leave that part to him.

It seems no one has one on here so its definitely down to my testing that will decide.

Thanks all for the replies.

W

Colin

We hired some Scott e-bikes at Grafham Water. Fantastic machines and if you haven't already tried one it might be worth taking one out for an hour (assuming they still have them - this was last year).

Will

I believe both Trek and Scott use Bosch motors and controls. We thought they worked really well. The only downside is that assistance stops noticeably when you hit a certain speed and they're hard work above that speed, but you've got to be going quite fast.

Peter

PCC - 2017-07-28 1:35 AM

The only downside is that assistance stops noticeably when you hit a certain speed and they're hard work above that speed, but you've got to be going quite fast.

Peter

There are 'tuning dongles' to raise the max assist speed but of course they are illegal for road use but ok off road.

E bikes are great fun. Both my wife and I were keen cyclists when younger. I'm sure the Trek bike is a great piece of kit buti it is styled on a mountain bike. For us in our late sixties they would be uncomfortable for a day's riding. My back and wrists wouldn't take it, let alone my backside.

We bought German Kalkhoff 'sit up and beg' style bikes, Agattu, to be exact. We spent 3weeks cycling the fantastic cycle tracks in Holland in May, and were very comfortable on them.

If I were to buy a new ebike now I would buy one in Holland. There's nothing they don't know about them, and dealerships everywhere.

PCC - 2017-07-27 2:35 PM

Colin

We hired some Scott e-bikes at Grafham Water. Fantastic machines and if you haven't already tried one it might be worth taking one out for an hour (assuming they still have them - this was last year).

Will

I believe both Trek and Scott use Bosch motors and controls. We thought they worked really well. The only downside is that assistance stops noticeably when you hit a certain speed and they're hard work above that speed, but you've got to be going quite fast.

Peter

Had a quick ride on a Scott at Grafham and arranged for them to get a small framed one in as it was thought this might suit gf better, they never got back to us so we may go elsewhere.

E-bikes for the UK market have a electric "cut off " speed at 15.5mph. with a 250 watt motor. If you want to increase the power it will be at the expense of the range per charge. The better quality e-bikes are mostly German such as Kalkhoff, Scott and Hai-bike etc. Most of those models have crank driven (through the pedals) motors as opposed to hub motors. Crank motors also give a superior range per charge over hub motor bikes, naturally they are more expensive and you would be lucky to find a new one under £1600 apart from one Whoosh model.

watty55 - 2017-08-01 5:59 PM

E-bikes for the UK market have a electric "cut off " speed at 15.5mph. with a 250 watt motor. If you want to increase the power it will be at the expense of the range per charge. The better quality e-bikes are mostly German such as Kalkhoff, Scott and Hai-bike etc. Most of those models have crank driven (through the pedals) motors as opposed to hub motors. Crank motors also give a superior range per charge over hub motor bikes, naturally they are more expensive and you would be lucky to find a new one under £1600 apart from one Whoosh model.

The statement that crank motors give more range is simply not true, this depends on size of battery. controller and the amount of effort you put in. Hub motors are in fact better for some people and for normal use show no real disadvantage these days. The good ones climb well and if you get tired you can use them like an electric scooter, no peddling. Center drive is better if you are into serious off road stuff. For more info on these visit the pedelecs forum.

I don't know that bike, but I've been an ebiker for a while. I love it, there's nothing like overtaking the lycra brigade whilst going uphill, gently peddling and whistling. I have a Carrera Crossfire E bike from halfords, range is around 40 miles and I'm 18 stone. Not sure how far you'll be cycling but I'd say panniers are a must for the groceries.

E-bikes for the UK market have a electric "cut off " speed at 15.5mph. with a 250 watt motor. If you want to increase the power it will be at the expense of the range per charge.

Not got an e-bike myself ( yet ) but I understand that if you do " increase the power" above 15.5 mph it could invalidate the warranty ?

Over that speed under your own power is o.k. ! ( If you are fit enough )

;-)

Correction. what i should have said was that crank drives NORMALLY give a better range due to them a having a better choice of bigger batteries capable of doing a 100 miles plus per charge, although i have yet to see a hub motor do 60 miles plus. I'm not sure on your comment "if you get tired you can use them like an electric scooter, no peddling", that would only apply if the bike has a "throttle" as several makes had.

It was illegal to have a throttle on any new E-bike in the UK from a January last year but having spoke to several dealers that could be a matter of interpretation.

malc d - 2017-08-02 5:05 PM

E-bikes for the UK market have a electric "cut off " speed at 15.5mph. with a 250 watt motor. If you want to increase the power it will be at the expense of the range per charge.

Not got an e-bike myself ( yet ) but I understand that if you do " increase the power" above 15.5 mph it could invalidate the warranty ?

Over that speed under your own power is o.k. ! ( If you are fit enough )

;-)

15.5 mph is the legal limit so not just the warranty. They are easy to modify to do over this but become illegal and battery life is much reduced.

watty55 - 2017-08-02 5:38 PM

Correction. what i should have said was that crank drives NORMALLY give a better range due to them a having a better choice of bigger batteries capable of doing a 100 miles plus per charge, although i have yet to see a hub motor do 60 miles plus. I'm not sure on your comment "if you get tired you can use them like an electric scooter, no peddling", that would only apply if the bike has a "throttle" as several makes had.

It was illegal to have a throttle on any new E-bike in the UK from a January last year but having spoke to several dealers that could be a matter of interpretation.

Again not correct, batteries are the same. Distance is impossible to quote as it depends on the amount of effort you put in. Plenty of bikes are still made with a throttle and although strictly speaking illegal I have never heard of a prosecution. Where on earth do get these distances from, as I said it depends on many things so are impossible to quote. I know many makers give them but they are entirely subjective. Basically the bigger battery the better. Both my wife and I have 17ah batteries and in the Pyrenees early this year I got as little as 12 miles riding up the Col d Aspin. Around the North Wales coast, where I live, I get 40 miles with plenty left, never run the battery down here so not sure of what it will achieve.

rupert123 - 2017-08-02 5:52 PM

watty55 - 2017-08-02 5:38 PM

Again not correct, batteries are the same. Distance is impossible to quote as it depends on the amount of effort you put in. Plenty of bikes are still made with a throttle and although strictly speaking illegal I have never heard of a prosecution. Where on earth do get these distances from, as I said it depends on many things so are impossible to quote. I know many makers give them but they are entirely subjective. Basically the bigger battery the better. Both my wife and I have 17ah batteries and in the Pyrenees early this year I got as little as 12 miles riding up the Col d Aspin. Around the North Wales coast, where I live, I get 40 miles with plenty left, never run the battery down here so not sure of what it will achieve.

Our Kalkhoff bikes came with the instructions to discharge the batteries fully for the first two times of use in order to 'condition' them, so that they accept a full charge from then on. The distances possible to be covered depends on the level of input and level of assistance (3 levels) you require so it depends on your own pedalling, the terrain, and your battery capacity.

watty55 - 2017-08-03 9:37 AM

As you state, mileages achieved are subjective and dependant on many factors, what i have previously stated is correct so you stick to your opinions and i'll stick to mine.

My statements about e bikes are not opinions, they are facts but we have wandered off the original question somewhat, not unusual. I would suggest anyone wanting to know about e bikes asks the question on the pedelecs forum.

Archived