Electric motorhomes

Armstrong2

In addition to this I cannot see any uk govt doing without its fuel tax so it is unlikely that bulk numbers will be allowed to re-electric from the home mains. A dedicated taxed power supply perhaps with special plugs that can't use normal sockets. There are so many issues that I suspect they will go hybrid and call them electric.

Don636 - 2017-07-26 10:05 PM

It is possible to charge by wireless induction so I suppose you could have some sort of charging system laid in the road so you could charge on the go for limitless range but how long before this could be set up and where does all the power come from?

perhaps the government will build some diesel power stations (lol) (lol)

pepe63 - 2017-07-27 11:59 AM

emmerson - 2017-07-27 11:48 AM

So, next time I fill with petrol, I'm going to leave my car parked on the pump!

Judging by the time I find myself having to sometimes wait for a pump, whilst I watch the owners of the cars in front tat about choosing their groceries/confectionary/snacks or heating up their pasties etc, I think some folk are already partially doing that anyway... :-S

;-)

elf an safty would have something to say about heating up your pastie in a petrol station. Should be ok if re charging your electric car if you have an electric oven fitted. I'm beginning to see the advantages of E cars now. ;-)

Hi Folks

Previous poster mentioned trains, Lorries and ships etc, but what about aeroplanes. How many litres of fuel needed for transatlantic crossing.. electric powered planes?? sorry folks, the battery has run down, didnt get enough charge in queue at heathrow before takeoff time, so either miss the slot, or have to pay compensation. thought I could make it, but dont worry the atlantic temperature is only 1 degree below freezing. have a nice swim.!!!!

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-07-28 9:40 AM

Hi Folks

Previous poster mentioned trains, Lorries and ships etc, but what about aeroplanes. How many litres of fuel needed for transatlantic crossing.. electric powered planes?? sorry folks, the battery has run down, didnt get enough charge in queue at heathrow before takeoff time, so either miss the slot, or have to pay compensation. thought I could make it, but dont worry the atlantic temperature is only 1 degree below freezing. have a nice swim.!!!!

tonyg3nwl

Funny enough the record for the longest uninterrupted flight is held by a electric aircraft.

pagey - 2017-07-28 7:58 AM

Don636 - 2017-07-26 10:05 PM

It is possible to charge by wireless induction so I suppose you could have some sort of charging system laid in the road so you could charge on the go for limitless range but how long before this could be set up and where does all the power come from?

perhaps the government will build some diesel power stations (lol) (lol)

I would have thought that a fossil fuel power station would be much more efficient than a car engine. It could be cleaner and built away from cities. We have to start somewhere.

Andy

Armstrong2 - 2017-07-28 11:08 AM

Yes but that plane only had one person the pilot.and the plane was covered in solar panels.i don't think a plane with 200 people onboard would take off with just solar panels

You are 100% wrong :D

in forty years time the m/home will be gone, we are the last generation with good pensions and houses to afford them.plus young people can fly to exotic places cheaply and this is what they will want to do always.as my son says,i can go round the world ten times for what you spent on that box.dad.cant argue with that!

AlanS - 2017-07-26 10:46 PM

What I want to know is where all the energy is going to come from to generate the electrical power that electric vehicles require. At present the majority of vehicles in the UK use fossil fuels as the source of energy, i.e. petrol or diesel.

I have looked at this in very simplistic terms and run a few figures for all vehicles on our roads.

Approximate mechanical energy input in 1 litre of petrol / diesel = 10 kwh ignoring inefficiencies

If an average vehicle engine (over all types of vehicles) consumption is 6 Litres / 100 kM, therefore at 50 kM / hour (30 MPH) for an hour it would use 3 litres of fuel. Therefore in electrical terms you would require a capacity of 30 kW, again ignoring inefficiencies to travel that distance.

Looking at statistics from the DVLA there were 36.7 million vehicles licensed to drive on our UK roads in 2016. If we were to say in simplistic terms that each vehicle motive power plant averaged 30 kW input and only 10% of the vehicles were on the road at peak times and requiring recharging then that would mean the total electrical energy requirement would be 108 GW per hour at peak levels.

At present, looking at the live National Grid electrical supply details for the UK, our demand, i.e. commercial and domestic is about 30 GW per hour and have a winter peak around 52 GW in cold weather. It is difficult to pin down the exact total electrical generation capacity in the UK from all sources but having looked at different historic figures is about 55 GW capacity.

Now, if we were to change all vehicles to electric where in the world would we find the generating capacity and the infrastructure to support it ?

I have put this together quickly and am not precious about my calculations so feel free to challenge them.

Alan

Just read a bit about this, couple of organisations have done the maths and by 2050 the impact is expected to be an extra 10% electricity needed to be generated, but most of this will be off peak, so very little impact on capacity, sounds unlikely but there you go.

tazdog6007 - 2017-07-31 8:09 PM

in forty years time the m/home will be gone, we are the last generation with good pensions and houses to afford them.plus young people can fly to exotic places cheaply and this is what they will want to do always.as my son says,i can go round the world ten times for what you spent on that box.dad.cant argue with that!

That may so, but our several trips to NZ which is about halfway round the world, were made so that we could motorhome in those islands.

Alan

graham - 2017-07-27 7:45 PM

In addition to this I cannot see any uk govt doing without its fuel tax so it is unlikely that bulk numbers will be allowed to re-electric from the home mains. A dedicated taxed power supply perhaps with special plugs that can't use normal sockets. There are so many issues that I suspect they will go hybrid and call them electric.

I think they have already thought about this one, my home charge point has a built in Sim, like the new gas and electric meters, that sends my charging information back to the installers, could easily be used to charge tax on the electricity used.

Bas

Basil - 2017-07-31 11:11 PM

graham - 2017-07-27 7:45 PM

I think they have already thought about this one, my home charge point has a built in Sim, like the new gas and electric meters, that sends my charging information back to the installers, could easily be used to charge tax on the electricity used.

Bas

I think the easiest, and fairest, way would be to have a tracking device and charge per road mile. That way you could also have differential charge rates to help control congestion and assist people in rural areas who must use cars.

tazdog6007 - 2017-07-31 8:09 PM

Hi

My son also flies all over the world but still wants to use my box!

Paul

The NV200 Nissan is a Campervan, and not a particularly good one at that, motorhomes are a different proposistion and further away i suspect.

I could could also fly around the World IF i wanted to......i dont. I prefer my motorhome.

Billggski - 2017-07-27 12:18 PM

This was announced the day after the same government decided not to electrify the Welsh and NE railways, but use diesels instead.

Train, lorry. Ship and domestic heating are by far the main polluters of NO2.

Very true, they talk out of their backsides, I can see driving in cities being curtailed, London already is.

But in the Countryside...where no such pollution exists....why ?

It's nice to have a plan but I do hope that the rest of the world aims to be 2040-compliant too.

Can you imagine the scenario when you get to the border of Croatia/Romania/Italy/Denmark/ in 2040 and they are still on diesel power. :D

Archived