Shower reality

Shadowhood

If I had a shower in a MH with a 130 litre fresh water tank, 90 litre grey waste tank and a Truma 6000 E boiler, what are the showering options? Would we need to apply the sailor shower method or could we run the shower like we do back home and keep it running until we finish?

I think it depends on how many want to have a shower at once.

We always go for the water on get wet, water off get soapy and water on get rinsed system. I think this is the Sailor's Shower

We can do 2 showers before we need to wait for the water to warm up again. Water heater has 12 litre capacity.

Andy

Shadowhood - 2017-08-01 1:30 PM

If I had a shower in a MH with a 130 litre fresh water tank, 90 litre grey waste tank and a Truma 6000 E boiler, what are the showering options? Would we need to apply the sailor shower method or could we run the shower like we do back home and keep it running until we finish?

We have the same set-up as you but the missus only uses the shower blocks since she needs about 100 litres just for the pre-soak phase.

I can get two showers quite easily as what Andy mentions in his post above. The only additional point from me is that I'll turn the shower nozzle down to half flow to save on the water.

We have the same set-up as you but the missus only uses the shower blocks since she needs about 100 litres just for the pre-soak phase.

I can get two showers quite easily as what Andy mentions in his post above. The only additional point from me is that I'll turn the shower nozzle down to half flow to save on the water.

Thanks lads. My missus would be the same. How long does the water heater take to fill it's 10 or 12 litre tank? I was thinking that the water pump would fill it up and heat it quicker than me using it, resulting in me being able to have a normal shower. We're looking to buy our first one so it'd be great to get info on this. We've rented a couple but stayed at sites with showers.

Hi

Just remembered we have also bought one on those shower heads with the little beads in it that you see at the shows.

They soften the water and reduce the amount of water being used without compromising the power of the shower.

it seems to work for us.

Andy

Shadowhood - 2017-08-01 3:26 PM

Thanks Andrew, one last question....if you were to run that shower with that volume, how long would you get hot water?

It is a storage heater, Hugh. It is filled from the main fresh water tank and holds about 10/12 litres of, initially cold, water. How long it will take to heat that will depend on which temperature you select (40C or 60C), and which model heater is installed.

To heat, say 12 litres, to 60C seems to me to take rather more than 15 minutes, but I've never tried timing it. I think it is more in the region of 20 - 25 minutes. As the hot water is drawn off the reserve, cold water flows in, but the heaters tend not to respond immediately, as the difference between the temperature at which the water heater switches off, and that at which it switches back on, is quite wide.

Most, if not all, these showers use a manual mixer tap, so cold can be mixed with the hot to prolong the availability of warm, but again, the duration of the warm will depend on the user's preference for shower temperature, and for how long they run the shower.

In short, it is a bit of an "elastic" question to give a definitive answer.

Andy&Lou - 2017-08-01 2:05 PM

We always go for the water on get wet, water off get soapy and water on get rinsed system. I think this is the Sailor's Shower

We can do 2 showers before we need to wait for the water to warm up again. Water heater has 12 litre capacity.

Andy

That's exactly how we use our shower. We too can have two showers before the water needs reheating. But being the gentleman I always let my wife shower first - just in case :-D

The heater is of course left on whilst my wife showers. There's definitely not enough hot water for two people from one heating of the water.

I think successfully having two consecutive showers, showering as at home would be very unlikely.

Cattwg :-D

The water heater capacity in European vans is tiny compared to a home hot water tank and the heating cannot keep up with water flow as a instant shower might.

As above, wet, soap, rince. We have a trigger on the showerhead which means the water is only flowing when needed.

colin - 2017-08-01 7:05 PM

The water heater capacity in European vans is tiny compared to a home hot water tank and the heating cannot keep up with water flow as a instant shower might.

As above, wet, soap, rince. We have a trigger on the showerhead which means the water is only flowing when needed.

We are usually able to both shower from one water heater filling by doing as others suggest. I leave the water heater on then wait a further half hour or so before taking the second shower- always had enough hot water to do both. As Colin says, having a trigger in the shower head helps reduce the amount of water used - if there isn't one you can obtain a similar device from EcoCamel (who make the shower head mentioned above) that simply screw fits between your existing shower head and the corrugated hose end as they are usually the same type of thread.

David

Shadowhood - 2017-08-01 3:26 PM

Thanks Andrew, one last question....if you were to run that shower with that volume, how long would you get hot water?

Morning good mate,

Brian is probably more accurate with his 20+ minute figure as I was repeating a quote from my original Autotrail Dealer which in hindsight is never a good thing.

Our tank is 10 litres so on full blast (and hot temps) we will run cold in a couple of minutes. I still ship shower which does the job quite nicely.

...............plus, the more you use the shower the more you have to empty the waste tank :-)

All the best,

Andrew

Andy&Lou - 2017-08-01 2:05 PM

I think it depends on how many want to have a shower at once.

Now that IS adventurous.

In a motorhome shower, we've never found a way of getting more than one person in at a time.

But hey, "every day's a school day!"

????????

Using gas to warm up the time must be close to 15 minutes. By the time we returned from a walk or whatever activity, if the water heater is turned on immediately then by the time we stowed the boots etc. the water is hot.

The time is never an issue so like Brian I have never measured it.

The issue is if you use lots of water you will have to drain and refill.

On some sites, depending on the time of day you may have to queue at both the refill point and dump point. It takes a suprising chunk of time. The people in front of you never seem to have the correct hose connector to hand.

Even more frustrating if you are remaining on the same site and have to repark, possibly with ramps.

You will quickly become economical with water. Alternatively, stay at a posh site with fully serviced bays.

Archived