Some issues as I am new to this.

tartan

Hi,

well I am only 5 days into motor homing so bear with me.I have two issues,one is with the engine management light on permanently (an OBD hand held is on the way to try an find out what the fault code is)the second is that even on level ground the reverse seems to be not too happy and makes a noise that's its sort of struggling.Also lastly the hose to fill the fresh water,does it have to be food quality or will a garden plastic coiling hose do?many thanks

Thanks Eric. In that case I can't comment on the clutch issue. There was a problem with vans of that period regarding a severe judder, but it seemed the 3.0 litre engines did not suffer. It was mainly to do with high gearing in reverse, and the desire to manoeuvre slowly without excessive clutch slip. If the engine was loaded at too low revs, it seems the electronics couldn't cope, and the result was severe uneven running that somehow caused a sympathetic vibration in the whole power train. Fiat made various modifications, eventually having gearboxes stripped and a new reverse gear shaft installed with a lower ratio.

I suppose the problem you are experiencing may relate to the engine management light remaining on, as I believe this can result from various faults. Good luck with the code reader.

Re the hose, food grade is ideal but as the water only passes through en-route to the tank, I've never bothered and just use a dedicated hose pipe that is, I guess, garden grade. It hasn't tainted the water (we don't in any case drink it unless in tea/coffee), as I suspect it doesn't have enough "dwell" time to acquire one.

There’s an example of a 2007 Lunar Roadstar 786 here:

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2007-lunar-roadstar-786

It’s a large heavy vehicle and care will need to be taken when reversing not to overstress the clutch. Received wisdom was that early-ish Fiat Ducato-baased motorhomes with ComfortMatic ‘automatic’ transmission were immune to reversing problems and, at that time, ComfortMatic was only available with the 3.0litre powerplant. But there were a few reports of Fiat Ducato-based motorhomes with the 3.0litre motor and manual transmission suffering clutch failure when reversing.

I’ve always used ordinary ‘garden’ hose to fill my motorhomes’ fresh-water tank, but (as Dave suggests) the state of a bought-secondhand 10-years old motorhome’s water tank will be an unknown quantity, and it would be wise to sterilise the water system as a precaution.

I used to use a garden hose but when it needed replacing I bought a "Phthalates free" hose. Phthalates are a large group of chemicals used in many things. The effects on the human body have not been properly researched but there are some indications that they are not nice!

There are cleaning products for the water system but I use a weak (I mean weak) solution of Milton fluid sold for baby bottle sterilising. I do drink the tank water but only in tea/coffee so it is boiled. I have not suffered any upsets.

As regards the reversing issue, ask someone else to try it, a mechanic would be good, when I first had my Ford based M/H I found reversing needed a lot of clutch slipping (reverse gear is high) but after someone else showed me how to do it, using a few revs and slow clutch engagement everything was OK. Then he did drive a Transit all day every day!

H

Regarding the hose, I was told that with ordinary garden hoses the rubber on the inside can leech into the water so always food grade for me. I prefer the flat hoses that you can get as they pack away very small. You can even get them on a cassette for extra neatness.

I agree about sterilising the tank before drinking from it. Not many do drink from it. We do clean our teeth with the water but we use a water container to fill the kettle because it is quicker than the tap and saves battery power.

<font color=blue>Andy

As Derek Uzzell mentioned, there were reports of the 3litre manual suffering clutch judder.

Unfortunately, a lower reverse gear cannot be installed on this particular engine (insufficient room in gearbox).

Perhaps the previous owner replaced the clutch (2 years ago) in an attempt to resolve this problem.

Suggest the OP tries to avoid slipping the clutch when reversing, this might help. Although reversing speed will obviously increase.

Hi again.

I cant add anything to the gearbox issue.

Re water hose, we use one of those expanding hoses.. in fact 2 of them end to end at home to fill tank before departure.

Then as the hose shrinks back, empty, we coil it up, and lay in under the tank access trap in the floor,on top of the tank, together with a variety of connectors to suit a range of tap sizes and connections.

To date , we havent had any ill effects from the water, and empty the tank when van is standing at home..

Tonyg3nwl.

• 1 month later...
A big thank you to everyone who posted a reply.I have had the engine management light fault sorted.It was the motorised throttle valve plus some other wee bits an pieces.Had to get a new valve direct from Fiat so was about £300 plus upgrade to software and local firm sorted out a few more glitches and now runs sweet as anything.I have been away at work so this is why I have not replied earlier.Going to have the first real try out next weekend in Yorkshire so wish me luck.

Tartan

I have a 2009 X250 3l and yes it does judder in reverse, especially on wet grass. It's not really much of an issue, and with a bit of mechanical sympathy you can easily learn to handle it.

There is no fix for it, some 'vans do it, some don't, but it's not a major issue and certainly shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of the 'van.

Roger

Archived