Sporty Trailers

Keith T

When we first purchased our present 'van, some 5 years ago, we decided to have a rear bumper for it, and eventually had one made in stainless steel by a company who I seem to remember were somewhere in Lincolnshire, called Sporty Trailers. They used to advertise in the classifieds in MMM, but having not seen them for some time, I did a search on the internet, and found from one of the other forums that they went ut of buusiness a couple of years ago - what a shame, as they made an exellent job of it, and at reasonable cost.

Most of the other ones we found at the time were either very bulky just plain ugly, and in this day and age of 'plasitc' (for want of a better word) rear bumpers, we would probably like to fit another one if we decide to change the van.

Does anyone have any details of recommendations for suppliers of such items now? Thanks.

I believe Sporty Trailers went out of business as it was run by one man who retired. Others will surely confirm or correct this statement.

However for Bespoke bumpers and their fixings two companies come to mind.

Newark Vehicle Bodies. The man is Brian Wilmer. He did it for us.

or

PWS engineering in Poole who advertise regularly in MMM.

Be precise about what you want.

Good luck

Clive - 2007-01-06 11:12 AM

Be precise about what you want.

Thanks Clive, yes I would be very precise as to my requirments, and if we do change, then I shall make sure I have photos from all angles of the existing one!

I have to say it actually improved the rear end aesthetically, and also was a good protetction against low walls....!

Thre is also Hope who make the Hope Safe-T-Bar, which really protects the rear of your vehicle (you will see vans with it fitted). It can also have a tow ball fitted, so has a double purpose. Had one on an earlier motorhome and it was excellent.

Clive - 2007-01-06 11:12 AM

I believe Sporty Trailers went out of business as it was run by one man who retired. Others will surely confirm or correct this statement

Good luck

I had two back boxes from Sporty Trailers and they were excellent company to deal with. Gordon Holmes who ran the business retired to travel in his Hymer, he tried to sell the business as a going concern but nobody was interested.

Don

Archived