Arran and Kintyre

DonB

We hope to go early next month. Can anybody tell us if the midge season should be over, or do we have to raid the local chemists? Also can anybody recommend camping places or campsites? Any other information gratefully received. Thanks.

Went to Arran a few years ago and stopped on two campsites.

' Seal Shore ' site down south at Kildonan, and a site on the north coast at Lochranza which had an adjoining golf course.

Both sites good.

Also camped off site by the sea at Catacol in the north west ( along with one or two other vans ).

Unfortunately the " main " road across the middle of the island was closed when we were there so that screwed up our plans a bit, but we enjoyed our visit.

;-)

Should you wish to visit the Mull of Kintyre, be aware that it's a long and winding narrow road to the end from Campbelltown,and that parking there is limited, especially so for large vans. Very atmospheric though.

Campbelltown has a distillery which offers tours which have to be pre-booked and some of the tours offer snacks to soak up the whisky tasted.

The southern road on the Kintyre peninsula is single track, very narrow, scenic, and seemingly never-ending.

Midges? Anyone's guess. If there's a breeze, you're ok.

Seal Shore is midge free, I didnt believe it either when its charismatic owner told me this when we booked last year, but its true.

Lochranza on the other hand was over run with the blighters if you can stand them its a beautiful site next to the golf course and the site hires clubs

September should be at the end of their season but wouldnt bank on it, avon skin so soft by the gallon for the north end.

As other posters have said the road on the west of the Kintyre peninsula is very scenic but long and winding, forestry lorries have played havoc with the road surface but the site at Carradale is worth it right on the sandy beach which stretches for miles.

Its a lovely part of the country dont let the midges put you off, enjoy.

If you are coming back into Argyll, I can thoroughly recommend 2 sites :- The site at Inverary - 2 miles out of the town, quite a big touring site and right down at the Lochside, with good shower & toilets. There is also a small bar/bistro on site, very welcoming ladies at reception.

The other site is at Lochgilhead, again a good flat site with good showers/toilets, and this site is just a 7 minute walk into town. The Crinan Canal is a 10 minute walk from the site.

Both places have a good Co-op Store.

We have just returned from down that area and used both sites for several nights.

Enjoy.

ps. buy a can of "SMIDGE" THIS REALLY DOES WORK .

scotsbob - 2017-08-07 9:07 PM

If you are coming back into Argyll, I can thoroughly recommend 2 sites :- The site at Inverary - 2 miles out of the town, quite a big touring site and right down at the Lochside, with good shower & toilets. There is also a small bar/bistro on site, very welcoming ladies at reception .

Thanks Bob, great advice.

The missus and I are up that way in a few weeks (house hunting) and we've been wondering where to stay.

I think we'll give it a shot as we fancy a trip to Campbeltown too.

All the best,

Andrew

Archived