Warm. Weather mid October

sandalwood

Hi all, looking for some sun mid October. Ferry to Santander too expensive! Want good site, warm, friendly, either Spain from St Malo or Caen, or maybe south of France. First time we have done this, but hey, seems and adventure for us oldies. Do not want to drive for hours, nice leisurely trip, good sites and sun!

Ian :-D

Hi ian.i

From what I remember, French sites seam to close from roughly mid september, so you might be struggling a bit.

There are plenty of sites down the west coast but dont know how many stay open after mid september.

Remember also, the evening draw in a bit quicker, and temp s might feel cooler that at home in uk.

The winter snowbirds seem to manage, and I wonder if it might be an idea to consider one of the clubs winter rallies or part thereof..justfor a bit of backup.

Have a safe trip.

Tonyg3nwl

Ps how old is old???

Me 80 next april

Tony

As Tony has said, France in October , not many sites open, but there are aires, if you like using them

Spain plenty sites open, and nice and warm. I would suggest you buy the ACSI book from Vicarious Books, that will give you discount, and IMO well worth buying, you save the cost in a couple of nights

Worth a quick dash down to Spain, and once past Valencia, good weather Somport Tunnel good route down

I have sent you a PM

PJay

Hi Ian

We went down to Spain last September and came back mid October. In September the weather was good throughout northern Spain (Cantabria, Pyrennes) through central and southern Spain also. But it started to change as we came back. For the heat I would recommend you aim for southern Spain at that time of year but be prepared for one or two rainy days. Like the UK the weather is quite changeable and you could be lucky in more northern parts and get some great weather. We went down to San Sebastien in February this year and it was 19C and dry with it. Likewise in the South of France on our way back. As for sites in Spain there are so many and it really depends on what you're looking for, e.g. good walking or cycling, swimming pool, leisurely laze in pleasant surroundings with good views, on-site bar and restaurant, and so on.

As one of the other commentators has mentioned the ACSI book (and membership card) is great for helping to find a site to your choosing and pays for itself in no time. Check out the website also - https://www.campingcard.co.uk/

As for ferries we once did the Santander crossing and that takes 24 hours. It's expensive but you have to weigh that up against:

maybe 3 overnight stops (or more - you said you don't want to travel long distances) including meals and other living expenses

motorway tolls - in France these are becoming extortionate, you can expect to pay over a €100 if you use them all the way to Spain from Calais

petrol/diesel for however many days it takes you to get there, I think we did it in 3 days last time and spent about €60 a day to fill up each time.

We also did the Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing on the way back once. We liked this because it was relatively short and living in the north of England the route back on the road is quicker then going from Dover to home. We generally do the Tunnel these days though. One other point here is consider joining the Motorhome & Caravan club and making your ferry/tunnel bookings through them as you'll get a discount. Plus you'll get a significant discount on the M6 Toll if applicable.

Archived