Special Care.

Ninian

I wrap the + positvive terminal in an old tea towel, or pop it into an old glove, to prevent it coming in contact with anything, especially where the battery compartment is compact or hard to access and where you have more than one leisure battery..

With reference to the OP's use of the plural "batteries", it is possible to work on one battery at a time.

I do this, but special care MUST be taken.

With the fuse pulled the corresponding positive lead becomes fully isolated when disconnected from the battery.

However the negative lead will still be connected to earth. If it were to come into contact with any parts remaining live from the other battery, the result could be DISASTER, possibly explosive.

It could be a good idea to adopt Tracker's suggestion of an old glove on the negative clamp as well. I have previously relied upon thick or several layers of plastic bag.

There is a lot of energy in a charged battery, please take care.

Follow the advice given, and do not use a spanner that could accidentally bridge the battery terminals.

Alan

Alanb - 2017-08-07 4:47 PM

With reference to the OP's use of the plural "batteries", it is possible to work on one battery at a time.

I do this, but special care MUST be taken.

With the fuse pulled the corresponding positive lead becomes fully isolated when disconnected from the battery.

However the negative lead will still be connected to earth. If it were to come into contact with any parts remaining live from the other battery, the result could be DISASTER, possibly explosive.

It could be a good idea to adopt Tracker's suggestion of an old glove on the negative clamp as well. I have previously relied upon thick or several layers of plastic bag.

There is a lot of energy in a charged battery, please take care.

Follow the advice given, and do not use a spanner that could accidentally bridge the battery terminals.

Alan

May I add to the above. It occurs to me that if all that the OP wishes to do is to check electolyte levels in a FLA battery, this could be done by just removing the positive fuse(s).

Safety glasses are recommended. Best not to remove cell vent caps from a battery that has recently undergone vigorous charging e.g. from alternator. If using a torch, use a sealed one, and preferably non metallic.

That makes me sound like an H&S person, which is not the case, but I did work with batteries in my former employment.

Alan

Also, if you have solar, some solar regulators claim that they may suffer damage if disconnected from the leisure batteries whilst connected to the solar panel so it may be worthwhile pulling the solar panel isolator fuse or if there is not one, covering the solar panel with a blanket.

Tracker - 2017-08-07 5:28 PM

Spanner - good point - I always only ever use a spanner that is too short to touch both terminals at once!

If you have ever seen what touching both terminals with it can do to a spaner you will understand why!!!

Or a spanner touching battery and a signet ring??

OH did just that many years ago, had a nasty burn on finger!! NEVER did it again.

PJay

PJay - 2017-08-07 7:02 PM

Or a spanner touching battery and a signet ring??

OH did just that many years ago, had a nasty burn on finger!! NEVER did it again.

PJay

My dad did this many years ago whilst trying to start an old Trojan van (now there is a name from the past!)

It melted his signet ring and left him with a nasty burn and it was the only time I ever heard him REALLY swear!

Another thing many people forget is that they often wear a watch with a metal bracelet and in a confined space can be 'lethal'.

Having designed and supervised the maintenance of high capacity UPS systems the use of insulated tools and no wearing of rings and watches/bracelets was incorporated into the H&S Risk assessments for the works. Not saying that you have to go that far but just be aware.

Alan

Ninian - 2017-08-07 11:13 AM

Hi, I want to check my Leisure batteries and would like to know if any sequence in disconnecting is required I.e. +- first after removing the local fuse. I don't want to do any damage to the vans electronics.

Thanks.

Ninian,

On reflection ,I think that we have all been guilty of concern for your personal safety, and failing to answer your question.

Please allow me to make another point in the same vein. That is contact with battery acid.

Assuming that you have FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) batteries, there will almost certainly be a few drops clinging to the cell caps. This acid is fairly dilute, but can cause mild burns if not washed off promptly.

If using gloves, be aware that any acid on them could be transferred to other clothing, our body parts. A few pieces of toilet or kitchen roll, and a plastic bag to put them in can be useful.

I would advise turning OFF the charger, particularly if disconnecting both batteries at the same time.

You will not damage the vehicle electronics by disconnecting the battery, but you could seriously damage the electronics if you were to reconnect the battery the wrong way round.

Alan

Archived