Alterations to Vehicles in Spain

BohemiVan

Hello,

Just a tip that will hopefully save someone a nightmare.

If you live in Spain you might have discovered that one EU adopted law prevents people from legally making alterations or even renovations to their vehicle interiors. So, for example, you cannot legally replace wall cards or LED lighting. You certainly cannot rip out all of the interior of your VW T25 and redo the entire interior, as I did. Ooops!

Take it along to get the ITV test and you will fail. You will be told to put everything back to how it was before. There is an alternative though.....employ and engineer who will retrospectively create a 'project' using your design. The engineer can also produce a document for a workshop which you can then take to a workshop to persuade them to sign as though they did all the work. You will probably have to pay them some money to say thank you.

This seems to be an open secret.....almost legal way to do it.

The main trouble I have come up with was finding an engineer who would do the work. Then I found a Youtube video of a company that has been excellent...www.tuhomologacion.com

I'm paying €342.43 to have both documents produced.

Much cheaper than ripping it all out and starting again.

BohemiVan - 2017-08-07 12:30

Take it along to get the ITV test and you will fail. You will be told to put everything back to how it was before.

Does this also apply to vehicles which are being imported to Spain, i.e. will the vehicle being imported first need to revert to its original build conformity spec before it can be officially registered for Spanish plates.

Cheers,

Andrew

Bop - 2017-08-08 9:07 AM

BohemiVan - 2017-08-07 12:30

Take it along to get the ITV test and you will fail. You will be told to put everything back to how it was before.

Does this also apply to vehicles which are being imported to Spain, i.e. will the vehicle being imported first need to revert to its original build conformity spec before it can be officially registered for Spanish plates.

Cheers,

Andrew

It doesn't matter where the vehicle comes from. If you need it to get through an ITV (MOT) test then you will either need to restore it back to the build standard or pay an engineer to produce a retrospective 'project' and get a 'taller' (workshop) to sign a document to say they made the alterations even though they didn't. As stated, www.tuhomologacion.com can sort it all out for you.

I have been told by many people here in Spain that lots of people take things out of their vehicles or put things back in before going to the ITV test centre.

Who would have thought that the UK would be more relaxed than Spain? I think it is in many ways.

Archived