Auto Sleeper PVC: condensation experience?

simon_g

Hello all - finally in the UK and visiting dealers. Shortlist is down to PVC with bunk-beds (or fixed singles, but nothing like that turning up on the pre-owned market). Saw an A-S today and would like to know people's experience of condensation with the factory-fit single glazing, which was raised as a possible concern in the MMM review. Looking at an AutoCruise tomorrow, Wildax also on the shortlist. Then decision time. Opinions on other pros & cons also welcome... Thanks!

Hi Simon,

We picked up our new van from SMC in Newark the other day and while I was there I took a shifty at the Globecar PVCs which they had in stock.

I'll say now that I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality and the practical layouts of the Globecar series of PVCs. There was one particular model with high beds, shower, kitchen, living area which IMO was far better than any PVC that I've seen too date.

Take a look at the range and see what you think mate.

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - should clarify that I need 4 berths (double & 2 single) & 4 travel seats. Globecar is on the radar, but nothing coming up on the used market. Plan on visiting NEC show in October and firming up on something new for '18...

simon_g - 2017-08-09 10:17 PM

Thanks Andrew - should clarify that I need 4 berths (double & 2 single) & 4 travel seats. Globecar is on the radar, but nothing coming up on the used market. Plan on visiting NEC show in October and firming up on something new for '18...

Ah, sorry Simon but this was a 2-birth (I think). Good luck with the search.

We had an A/S Warwick Duo for two years and had no problems at all with condensation.

However we did not use it in winter or extreme cold so cannot comment on that aspect.

We never used silver screens or similar either as they are just too much faffing about and storage space in a small van and it's easier just to wipe the inside of the windscreen from the warm and dry front seats!

Simon

I seem to recall reading that Autosleeper use 3M film on the windows.

We have a VW camper and in cooler weather use silver screens at the front and curtains at the back. With no insulation quite a bit of condensation builds up but it's not a chore to wipe it off. Obviously the Autosleeper should be quite a bit better - 3M information suggests that their film is quite effective.

If you're going to get condensation then it must be better to have it form on a surface that can be easily wiped dry rather than a fabric surface. Having said that, I'm not sure what steps are taken by Autosleeper to control condensation where the windows run behind the furniture units.

Peter

Thanks to everyone. Condensation issue is now moot as have done the deed and bought an Autocruise Quartet. A difficult decision, hopefully not to be regretted. Decided the longitudinal bunks, rear washroom and better dinette outweighed the apparently slightly better fixtures'n'fittings and more flexible lounge space.

Now assuming this works, what I really want is the same layout in a 6.4m PVC with a drop-down bed... And probably UK built as our continental cousins seem not to be interested in cooking...

PCC - 2017-08-10 9:53 AM

Simon

I seem to recall reading that Autosleeper use 3M film on the windows...

Peter

This 2014 ASOF thread refers

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t12540-athermic-glass-windows-my-experience

There’s an intriguing (apparent) conflict with what’s said there and a statement made by an Auto-Sleepers sales manager back in 2011.

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/51-autosleeper-motorhomes/69147-3m-scotchtint-athermic-single-glazed-windows-pvc-s.html

That's interesting Derek.

Seems unlikely that Autosleeper would be able to source Peugeot vans with windows that aren't generally available.

This is off topic, but if film can be used to get single glazed glass windows to perform to almost the same level as double glazed plastic windows it would be surprising if more PVC converters didn't go down that route, at least for the side door and the window opposite. They look good, they can be factory fitted, they are more secure and they are less prone to scratching than plastic windows. The opening isn't as large but that would seem a small price to pay.

Peter

PCC - 2017-08-11 9:31 AM

...if film can be used to get single glazed glass windows to perform to almost the same level as double glazed plastic windows...

Peter

This advert from the firm that (apparently) applies the film to Auto-Sleepers PVCs claims that the tinted film

"- Reflects up to 75% of heat, keeping the interior of your car cooler.

- Reflects sunlight, keeping the heat and bright light off passengers, an essential when carrying young children!

- Reflects 99% of harmful UV rays.

- Provides a darker atmosphere, great for in-car DVD player viewing, and greater security as valuables as less visible.

- Greatly enhances vehicles look, with many customers stating 'it sets the car off'!

- Keeps glass in place in event of break in or accident.???”

No claim is made that the fim reduces heat-loss from within the vehicle.

Sorry Derek, I've been looking at the wrong film.

However, 3M also make a Thinsulate film about which they claim

"3M Thinsulate Climate Control Window Film is a low emissivity or “low-e” window film which improves the insulation value of a typical single pane window close to that of a double pane window and the insulation value of a typical double pane window close to a triple pane window. This film will make your windows more efficient and save you money on energy costs at a fraction of the cost of replacing your windows"

My mistake - I was thinking they would have applied this. Might make more sense for a motorhome.

Peter

It’s possible (perhaps probable given Auto-Sleepers's reference to the windows being ‘athermic’) that the Autoshine and Tinting firm does apply 3m Thinsulate film to the habitation-area windows of Auto-Sleepers PVC models - as you say, it would make sense.

On the other hand, Auto-Sleepers uses 3M Thinsulate material for body insulation, so there’s the potential to confuse this with the tinted film that’s applied to the windows.

Dunno - all that can safely be said (it seems!) is that the window-glass itself is not ‘athermic’ even if the film applied to it produces that characteristic.

Archived