2 weeks going to Glasgow

Vietnam1

Hello everyone I am a complete beginners. Got 3 young boys who just started playing badminton and crazed me to go to Glasgow for badminton tournament ending 27th August. I own a 12 years old Firenze Ace 4 months ago but yet to use it. I have never drove more than 200 miles so what the heck, I am thinking of making a 2 weeks holiday going up on 21st and return on the 4th (from Norwich) Have little experience in motorhoming. Any advices and recommendations for places to vist and campsite would be greatly appreciated. Kinds regards

Hi from Dereham

There is a good Caravan and motorhome club site at Strathclde Contry park south of Glasgow.

Used it a few times to visit Glasgow.

They run a courtesy bus into the city.

Another site worth a look on the way up or back is Hadrians wall caravan and campsite.

It short walk from the best bit of Hadrians wall.

Spent a couple of days there walking earlier in the year

Details

Melkridge Tilery, Melkridge, Haltwhistle NE49 9PG

Phone: 01434 320495

No, the minibus costs I think about £7 each return, but last time I was up in Strathclyde Country Park site, the wardens said the service was a bit erratic, so we took their advice and got a taxi to Bellshill station, about £4, and train to Glasgow, about £4 each return off peak. All went very smoothly and gives you more flexibility. They usually have plenty of space at Strathclyde, but the wardens do not like you arriving after 6 pm unless you have phoned in advance. May be worth you joining the Caravan Club, sorry, now called CMC, as they charge a lot more for non members on their sites, and at least you can book in advance with them.

As to the rest of your post, have you given your motorhome a shakedown cruise - just an overnight somewhere local to make sure everything works? If you do have problems, most of your fellow motorhomers on site will be willing to help, but better to find out problems when you are near home rather than 300 miles away!

I usually stay at Lomond Woods site at Balloch. Not cheap but kept to a very high standard. Short walk down to Balloch railway station with a reasonable service to Glasgow. If you are that way inclined there is a Chinese restaurant and a MacDonalds nearby as well as a chippie in Balloch.. Loch Lomond Shores shopping centre is also handy and good cycling down the R. Leven and up L Lomond side on good paths.

Hi, coming from the South Strathclyde park might be easiest for you save you having to drive round Glasgow.

The badminton championships are at the Emirates Arena in the East end, Certainly wouldnt recommend taking the mh in as parking isnt easy. Either of the suggestions about the bus or taxi and train would work.

Nearest station to the Emirates is Dalmarnock no diirect service from Bellshill but you could go either to Cambuslang and change or go into Glasgow Central and get a train back out to Dalmarnock.

It is shaping up to be a superb badminton competition your boys will love it.

Archived