tracker.. read

tazdog6007

tracker... buy the boat. selling the van must have left a void. fill it as soon as you can.a marina near me is full of people chatting and enjoying THEIR PASTIME. a man needs an outlet that woman don't.a new interest meeting new people,a boat is a non stressful nice thing.you live in a nice part of the country,enjoy it . when i have to lose the van,i hope that can be me.can't meet you in the pub,to say all this so it's the forum. :-) plus your partner can't tell me to mind my own business.

Thanks Tazdog, I appreciate the sentiment - I'm way ahead of you in the boat game but it ain't me we have to convince as Dot thinks it will be too much for me to cope with, and the hospital consultants tend to be on her side, so in the words of the prophet - I'm bu@@ered either way!!!

Colin - lots of history is what you are missing !!!!

Now I understand having read a couple of other posts.

Have had boats, both river and sea going and with the price of diesel I'm glad I don't have one now. Our last boat, a 1994 Fairline Mirage with twin 130HP diesel engines, held 150 galls of diesel and it took 80 galls to do just Dover to Dunkirk so it ain't a cheap hobby if you're going for a fast (20knot) sea going boat. River (ditch) crawlers are a lot cheaper to run but still bank on 2 galls an hour for diesel and 3 or 4 if petrol. All at 6 or so knots. If you're going for a raggy then the running costs are a lot lower but you're really confined to the sea rather than rivers otherwise the wind's always blowing from the wrong direction when you've got all the laundry up (sails).

Good luck in whatever you do and may the health be with you (lol)

Thanks Colin, I too have had many boats both sea and river over the years.

I never took the view that I needed to go fast over water so a 20' fishing boat with a Coventry Climax twin would pop along happily at 5 knots on two gallons of diesel per DAY. My last 28' river cabin cruiser had a 3 cyl Mitsubishi that burnt a litre of diesel an hour - hardly bank busting!

Even our biggest boat a 32' ex navy pinnace with a Perkins 4/108 would run all of a very long day often well out from Falmouth on less than 5 gallons of diesel - and that one earned it's keep too!

Tried sailing but I prefer a diesel engine under my feet!

tazdog6007 - 2017-08-17 1:50 PM

sorry tracker..did'nt know the medical reason was that serious.just doing the mans toy's thing.wish you well.

No problem, thanks for the kind sentiments, it's really not that bad, I'm still here for a start!!

Every time I see the medical consultants they tell me that I am not taking it all seriously enough and I say that I don't do serious, life's too short and they say so will yours be if you don't take it more seriously!

I think the exploits of the past are history for me but I'm still here and I intend to annoy the pants off of every one I can!!

Take care and enjoy it all while you can for tomorrow is promised to nobody!!

Tracker - 2017-08-17 2:18 PM

tazdog6007 - 2017-08-17 1:50 PM

sorry tracker..did'nt know the medical reason was that serious.just doing the mans toy's thing.wish you well.

No problem, thanks for the kind sentiments, it's really not that bad, I'm still here for a start!!

Every time I see the medical consultants they tell me that I am not taking it all seriously enough and I say that I don't do serious, life's too short and they say so will yours be if you don't take it more seriously!

I think the exploits of the past are history for me but I'm still here and I intend to annoy the pants off of every one I can!!

Take care and enjoy it all while you can for tomorrow is promised to nobody!!

You have the right attitude Rich, just enjoy each day as it comes. No one lives for ever, (and who wants too?)

Sadly , we have another funeral to go to next week , I appear to be out living all my cousins!!. Only have 1 older now, and she lives in OZ, at 95 , still going strong 5 younger ones left, and they are closer to my kids, in age.

P

PJay - 2017-08-17 5:24 PM

Sadly , we have another funeral to go to next week , I appear to be out living all my cousins!!. Only have 1 older now, and she lives in OZ, at 95 , still going strong 5 younger ones left, and they are closer to my kids, in age.

P

I am so sorry to hear that Pauline, it's very sad.

The very first family get together I went to with Dot soon after we first met was her elder sister's Ruby Wedding bash and I remember us all talking about our own mortality!

That was of course after her sisters had grilled me about my 'intentions' with their sister and I, having been forwarned they could be protective, told them all a different tale just to create confusion! That was fun!

It's a large family, we're all getting older and there were 18 of us 'maturites' there - and in spite of several near misses we are all still here - shame I didn't put a bet on that!!

On the other hand several of my very good and close friends have died in recent years so I can only conclude that knowing me can endanger and shorten your life - even more so if we mutually enjoy fishing, boating or motor caravanning, so maybe it's just as well that I have retired from two of the three!!

Rich, Glad to see you posting again as I missed your humour and experience. No longer having a motorhome is no excuse for not offering your years of experience to those of us that need it from time to time. Look forward to reading your posts. Cheers, 

Geeco - 2017-08-18 2:09 AM

No longer having a motorhome is no excuse for not offering your years of experience to those of us that need it from time to time. Look forward to reading your posts. Cheers, 

Oh dear and just when I thought I could stop annoying everybody and quietly disappear up my own shadow you go and say a thing like that!

Thanks Gary - I think!!!

Geeco - 2017-08-18 2:09 AM

Rich, Glad to see you posting again as I missed your humour and experience. No longer having a motorhome is no excuse for not offering your years of experience to those of us that need it from time to time. Look forward to reading your posts. Cheers, 

I second that.

A bit like being a parent !! The younger ones can take SOME notice of our experiences. My grandchildren (all grown up now) still like to hear about our adventures, and see we have survived to a ripe old age!!

and now starting there own journeys The latest going to Vietnam to-day for 1 month at the age of 20.

We did not have the opportunities to travel at that age, or for that matter the money! I was a Mum at 20!

PJay .

Archived