electric hook up.

fedex

can someone give me advice please, I can't use my van for the next 18 weeks due to hospital appointments, should I leave my van hooked up to the mains to keep the batteries fresh or just start it every couple of weeks, thanks

fedex - 2017-08-19 12:18 PM

can someone give me advice please, I can't use my van for the next 18 weeks due to hospital appointments, should I leave my van hooked up to the mains to keep the batteries fresh or just start it every couple of weeks, thanks

I would be inclined to leave it hooked up - and unhook it / or switch off occasionally ( for 24 hrs ? ) - but also start the engine occasionally to keep the mechanics in good order.

;-)

Our van has been left for long periods. No chance of hook up. Just give the engine a turn over and maybe move say a couple of feet, in order not to get a flat on tyres! Monthly maybe. We have left for longer, no problem

PJay

Firstly may I refer you to PJay's post for new members, at the top of the page.

Without knowledge of the electrical system installed, it is difficult to give specific advice.

Does the system charge the vehicle battery?

There was a previous thread on this matter, and I know that Allan of Aandacaravanservices has some strong views. He has delved deeply.

For my own part my motorcaravan is 12 years old and has a CBE PC200 system. The vehicle is on EHU 24/7 when not in use, and still has the original starter battery. (A precautionary change is under consideration.) The habitation batteries were changed slightly over two years ago due to lack of capacity.

However some chargers can overcharge the batteries if left on EHU. One solution that has been adopted by others, is to supply the vehicle via a 7 day time switch, set to supply the vehicle for several hours on a weekly basis.

Alan

It depends what your van is and how long before the starter battery does not have enough power left to start and whether you need the battery to open the doors or power an alarm, and whether the on board charger charges the engine battery as well as the leisure battery?

My first inclination would be to disconnect all the batteries?

Or either start and run the engine as needed or maybe fit something like a Ctek low amperage smart charger that can be left on for long periods hard wired to the engine battery.

I am not a great lover of live mains cables running outdoors for long periods, but that's just me, but if it is convenient I don't believe it will harm the batteries being left on charge and it may be easier for you to switch it on or off than to start and run the engine?

I have been told that modern diesels with all that anti pollution gubbins don't much like being run for short periods and never getting as hot throughout as they do in real use, but many people seem to run their engines as needed without any problems?

As something of an expert at hospital appointments I do sympathise and I wish you a speedy recovery and return to active motorhoming.

As stated above the impact on the batteries will depend on the Motorhome and the charger installed.

As AlanB has noted the CBE 516 seems to be one of the very few chargers which actually 'turn off' when the batteries are full.

Almost all other modern chargers continue to 'Force Feed' the battery at a low rate, whether it wants it or not.

Chargers like the Sargent EC155 are so feeble (low current and only 13.5v) they are unlikely to do any battery damage even if left connected for 10 years.

So the answer really is, 'it depends'.

If your batteries are quality ones and healthy, disconnecting them like Tracker says is a safe option, not just for the health of the battery, but is a useful 'anti theft' device.

You can buy battery isolators that are very easy to fit to both habitation area and Starter battery, that just fit between the battery and the battery clamp, see photo. Literally bolt on, no wiring changes. The Green plastic dial can be totally removed or can just be 'loosened' to isolate the battery.

They can be found on eBay for around £5 each?

When you want to use the vehicle, just refit the rotary 'screw clamp' and away you go. Obviously don't leave the screw clamp in the vehicle for a thief to find.

Try and refit the battery isolator rotary clamp and recharge the batteries every 2 - 3 months if you can.

877398415_BatteryClamp3.JPG.839ffe6c55693a05724e42c6867ea10e.JPG

Fedex’s motorhome is an IH Motorhomes conversion based on a 2006 LWB Fiat Ducato with 2.8JTD motor.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/taxation-class/47433/

This does not directly help regarding the vehicle’s electrical system, but Alanb may be able to comment as apparently he owned (owns?) a similar-vintage IH model.

Thanks all for your replies, I was actually being a bit lazy asking that question, which I have know investigated. My van is an ih Oregon 2006 on fait chassis. Just gone through all my instructions and I have a CB 516 charger, so I will be connecting and disconnecting the EHU. Also start up and move every few weeks. thanks for your comments 'tracker', yep its going to be a trek, but I'm going to be on the road a.s.a.p.

If you have a CBE 516 charger you can leave it on all the time, as mentioned by Allan of aandncaravans, as it automatically turns off when the starter and leisure batteries are fully charged.

The starter battery isolation device, mentioned by Allan, can be made more user friendly by placing a 3amp fuse across the terminals of the device. This will allow charging of the starter battery @ 2amps max and keep the constant draw of the vehicle electronics happy, avoiding having to reset the menu and radio code.

If you accidentally start the engine, the 3amp fuse will blow and prevent starting. A good/simple theft device. Just keep some 3amp fuses handy.

Just hope the OP will now complete the additional info of his vehicle in the user area for future reference (see mine as an example). I trust his vehicle is not based on a "Fait" but a "Fiat" - but could be true :-D

Archived