Transit TDCi Traction Control

oldlowie

I have owned my Chausson Welcome 74 on a Transit 2.0 TDCi for just on a year now. What a motor! I never tire of the thrill I get when I put my foot down and close on 3 tons of camper shoots away like mucky stuff off a stick. Beating some of the arrogant "I live in the right-hand lane" type drivers is quite a blast as well! My question is this - What is the Traction Control button on the dash for? It seems to be on, unless I turn it off. I have been on the odd slippery field, and the front wheels seem to spin just as much as they did on my old Boxer, should I turn the TC off to get better grip? There is nothing in my Handbook about TC that I can see. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks...

Traction control limits the difference in speed between the two driving wheels. For example if one wheel is on dry firm ground but the other is on soft slippery wet grass then the latter wheel will spin and you go nowhere.

TC will apply the brake to the spinning wheel and thereby transfer torque to the wheel on dry ground allowing you to get away. If both wheels are on slippery stuff then they will both spin and the best the TC can do is match the spin speed of the two driving wheels.

Its probably best left on unless you want to do some "Top Gear" style driving.

D.

In my 2005 UK Transit Owner's Guide there's a "Traction control system" entry in the index and the relevant section is on pages 66 & 67. I can't imagine why this should be missing from your Transit handbook but, as it clearly must be, I've copied the information below. (The section in the Guide includes two drawing of the dashboard-switch that I can't incorporate in the text, but you obviously know what the switch looks like and how it functions.)

"BRAKE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (BTCS)

Drivers should never take unnecessary risks even though the system offers inherently safer driving potential.

PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION

The Brake Traction Control System reduces wheel spin at the driven wheels at speeds up to 25mph (40 km/h).

The system may become active when accelerating on a slippery road or loose surface, or when pulling away on a hill.

When the ignition is switched on (position II), the system is automatically enabled and the light in the switch illuminates briefly to confirm that the system is operational.

NOTE: If the indicator light does not illuminate when the ignition is switched on or stays illuminated whilst driving, it indicates a malfunction. During a malfunction the system will be switched off. Have the system checked by an expert.

When the traction control system is activated, as indicated by the flashing indicator light, reduce engine speed immediately. Otherwise vehicle damage might occur, particularly on low friction surfaces such as snow or ice.

SWITCHING OFF THE BTCS

Press the switch to turn on and off. When the system is off, the light in the switch illuminates.

If you are driving with snow chains fitted or are 'rocking' out of snow, it is recommended that you switch off the system by pressing the (dashboard) switch."

Gaining and maintaining traction on very slick surfaces involves a combination of basic mechanical grip and delicate throttle control. Theoretically the BTCS on your Welcome 74 should provide you with better traction on slippery fields compared with your previous Boxer. In reality this will depend on factors like the tyres used on both vehicles, tyre pressures, the respective loads on their front wheels, their motors' power delivery characteristics and so on. First gear on the Transit 2.0 litre TDCI power-train is high and this complicates moving a heavy-ish motorhome away from rest. If you get both front-wheels spinning madly BTCS won't save you. Personally, I'm doubtful that switching off the system would help you grip-wise on slippery fields, but there's no harm trying it.

(By the way, I've been told that BTCS doesn't operate when the Transit is being reversed.)

Thanks for the input gents. Speaking to a Tranny driver today, he reckons the whole idea of Traction Control is for situations (not unusual around the lanes down here) where there is one wheel on the road and one on the verge. Careful pulling away using the 'good' wheel can extract the one in the muck. I hope I never have to try it, though!

Thanks again for your advice...

Tony

Archived