Pitted fridge shelves

Violet1956

Tracker - 2017-08-25 12:26 PM

I stuck formica over stained and damaged shelves many years ago and it seemed to work OK!

Cut outs of non slip shelf cover work OK too, as do cut outs of very thin polycarbonate chopping sheets, both from a pound shop!

Thanks Rich. Will give that a try if I don't get the option of re-coating them in some way. Gotta love a pound shop. Will have a look when I'm next passing one. Trouble is I never come out without picking up lots of junk. :-(

Veronica

StuartO - 2017-08-25 12:41 PM

A friend of mine refurbished his rusty fridge shelves simply by wire brushing and then spraying with a can of white paint.  Three coats or so with 30 mins drying time between them gave a good as new look.

Thanks Stuart. I quite like the sound of that option.

Veronica

In our fridge the shelves are "wire" I sprayed them with a can of silver paint. If you are talking about plastic, , then white Fablon on a roll would be OK i assume this is to make it look "nice" ? Not worth spending a lot of pennies, if the fridge works OK. IMO.

PJay

The chromed shelves of my 1996-built Herald motorhome’s Electrolux fridge began to pit. I mentioned this on the Electrolux stand at an NEC Show and - although the fridge was several years old and well out of warranty - I was sent a complete set of replacement shelves. I never fitted the new shelves (they were much too nice and shiny to actually use) and they went with the Herald when I sold it. In those days minor complaints to Electrolux customer services could result in a very positive reaction, but things are different now.

Professionally rechroming/coating the existing shelves is an option (unless they are very badly pitted)

http://tinyurl.com/y8597w99

but the cost may be more than obtaing a replacement new set.

I think I gave my Herald’s not-too-badly-pitted shelves a good rubbing with wire-wool, followed by some chrome polish.

I'm going to check on our spray paint reserves in the shed. I fancy a bit of DIY this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for their tips. They are wire like Pjay's. Re-chroming was a thought but when I researched it I realised that I wasn't prepared to spend the money. I am getting quite strict with my expenditure on such stuff these days as I prefer to spend my money on wine and fags.

Gloriously sunny today. Have a good weekend everyone.

Veronica

It may not apply, but when paint spraying rusted wire the rust can break through, especially in a cold damp environment like a fridge where items are slid in and out or can move about when on the road.

A rust inhibiting undercoat like one of the Hammerites might, or might not, help but I have not found spraying to be an effective long lasting solution.

Might be worth a shot especially if you already have the spray paint and it costs nowt!

Violet1956 - 2017-08-25 1:17 PM

Has anyone got a DIY solution for our pitted fridge shelves. It is a Dometic RM 7655L and original to our 11 year old van. I balk at paying £60+ for a replacement set.

cheers

Veronica

Had two Dometic fridges over the years of motorhoming and both had the same problem of the metal wire shelves either showing corrosion or just discolouring and was impossible to clean them completely .To me its just poor quality electro coating and considering the cost of a fridge you would expect better ...to rechrome would be the answer but not sure of the cost. ...Any body .

PJay - 2017-08-25 1:21 PM

In our fridge the shelves are "wire" I sprayed them with a can of silver paint. If you are talking about plastic, , then white Fablon on a roll would be OK i assume this is to make it look "nice" ? Not worth spending a lot of pennies, if the fridge works OK. IMO.

PJay

I used a can of silver paint, I think maybe a car paint. i would have thought any car spray paint would suit, should you fancy coloured shelves!! Still Ok after 4 years , from memory OH has also sprayed the wheels with a silver spray !!

If you have to again after a couple of years, still cheaper than a new fridge or shelves (if you can get them

PJay!

PS Many years ago, we sprayed a whole Ford Cortina with gold spray paints (Must have cost us a bomb!!)Looked great after, Cortina Mk 3 Gold with Black vinyl roof! like in "Ashes to Ashes " Tv prog A lovely comfortable car

PJay

BKen1 - 2017-08-25 4:46 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-08-25 1:17 PM

Has anyone got a DIY solution for our pitted fridge shelves. It is a Dometic RM 7655L and original to our 11 year old van. I balk at paying £60+ for a replacement set.

cheers

Veronica

Had two Dometic fridges over the years of motorhoming and both had the same problem of the metal wire shelves either showing corrosion or just discolouring and was impossible to clean them completely .To me its just poor quality electro coating and considering the cost of a fridge you would expect better ...to rechrome would be the answer but not sure of the cost. ...Any body .

When I checked the link kindly provided by Keith re-chroming is more expensive than buying Dometic spares. I agree that there is an issue with the quality of these internal fitments. They seem quite flimsy to me and it galls a little that we are hostages to a monopoly when it comes to buying spares at prices that I think are a complete rip off. I doubt that they cost more than a fiver each to make. First world problems maybe but no less irritating for that.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-08-25 12:17 PM

cheers

Veronica

:D ........

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-25 1:49 PM

The chromed shelves of my 1996-built Herald motorhoctually use) anme’s Electrolux fridge began to pit. "I mentioned this on the Electrolux stand at an NEC Show" and - although the fridge was several years old and well out of warranty - "I was sent a complete set of replacement shelves. "

(lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2017-08-25 11:12 PM

The chromed shelves of my 1996-built Herald motorhoctually use) anme’s Electrolux fridge began to pit. "I mentioned this on the Electrolux stand at an NEC Show" and - although the fridge was several years old and well out of warranty - "I was sent a complete set of replacement shelves. "

(lol) ..........

I don’t understand your posting, and your quotation seems to have mutilated what I originally wrote. (?) (?) (?)

Derek (sometimes known as Keith)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-26 9:02 AM

(lol) ..........

I don’t understand your posting, and your quotation seems to have mutilated what I originally wrote. (?) (?) (?)

oops.sorry. :$

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-26 9:02 AM

(lol) ..........

I thought you was ex...GHQ? ......aren't you trained in the art of urine extraction? 8-) .........

Dave (sometime known as Dave) ......

What’s the difference between your use of (lol) and :D ?

Does the green grinny face indicate jealousy, or what?

(Better make use of the forum’s emoticons while you can. A reliable source has told me that the long-ovedue revision of the forum’s software will soon take place. Plenty more exciting features, including the capability to add short videos, but no emoticons. Unfortunately, as happened when the O&AL forum replaced the MMM forum in 2005, all existing threads will have to be dumped as they will be incompatible with the new record structure.)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-28 8:10 AM

Unfortunately, as happened when the O&AL forum replaced the MMM forum in 2005, all existing threads will have to be dumped as they will be incompatible with the new record structure.)

That would be a terrible waste of so much research and expertise especially on Motorhome Matters - much of it by Derek - all thrown away in a flash by those who do not understand the real value of a forum like this and would probably never use it.

Although I don't think anyone will miss the entire Chatterbox content as that could be 'emptied' every week to save space with no great loss to anyone!

I too have never really liked emoticons as a substitute for saying what is on one's mind?

Archived