Gwent Motorhomes

Guest twodogron

Guest twodogron

I would be very interested to find any other Gwent Motorhome owners.

Mine is a 2001 Merc Sprinter van conversion which I bought back in late 2005 but I have yet to find any other owners, or indeed anyone who can give me any information on the Company, which I believe no longer exists.

My van conversion is brilliant, so please get in touch if you have one, or have had one, or know anything about Gwent Motorhomes from the past, I would so much like to hear from you......

Ron.....

Hi Ron,

You are quite right, Gwent Motorhomes ceased Panel-Van Conversions a long time ago, sometime between when yours was made 2001 and 2003, I cannot recall just when I had a phone conversation with them. The family moved premises (I think it was in Newport) and, the new Works entrance was not high enough to accept high-top panel vans, rather than carry out expensive alterations, they chose to concentrate on their former business - manufacturing Cabinet Furniture. This expertise is why their interiors were so good! Around the time your motorhome was built, John Page published an excellent Test Report article on a Gwent Sprinter, it was in WHICH Motorhome, so it might still be possible to obtain a back-copy, this Test was on a Green colour LWB Sprinter commissioned by a couple who carried 'Show Dogs' and Gwent incorporated two built-in Kennels!! Many earlier Gwent conversions were on the 'old' version V.W. L.T. Van, there is a Club for the L.T. (at least there used to be?) so there must still be a few of these on the road.

Good luck with your search for contacts with other Gwent Owners. I was just too late to get one built for myself, I had already done the scale drawings, as well!!

Chris (Greynomad)

Guest twodogron

Hi Chris, many many thanks for your reply, funny how things go but I've just this minute tracked them down. You are correct, the Father and Son have since gone back to Cabinet Making, believe they are working on Newport Castle, Oak Panelling for the past two years. I spoke to misses on the phone just now. They are still around Newport. What happened about 5 years ago is that another outfit muscled themselves into Newport and called themselves "Gwent Motorhomes Ltd" and unfortuneately the original Gwent Motorhomes (not Ltd.) lost the name and many confused ex-customers. Anyway, to cut a long story short they will send me the Which and MMM reports/awards when they dig them out.

As you say the quality of the original Gwent Conversions are absolutely fantastic, I've got the last van they converted in 2001 which is all hand built, shower/beds/cabinets/wardrobe/overhead lockers etc and still hasn't got a rattle anywhere, much much better than my previous Autosleeper Topaz which used to rattle like a bag of the proverbial nails.......

What van have you got now ? also do you know of any other original Gwent owners that I could contact ? Another funny thing is I bought this van second hand in 2005 from a guy in Somerset............

Cheers again and many thanks....

Ron, I am sorry that I cannot provide any details for current Gwent Motorhomes owners, possibly others on the forum may pick up on this and know of other owners - still you are sure to spot one somewhere on your travels. You were indeed fortunate to find yours, being the last ever made. Back in 1994 we purchased (new) a 27'6" tag-axle Kon-Tiki which was unique (for that year) as only one was built in 1994, and never made again. When I altered the rear bedroom, every piece of timber was labelled '1994 Prototype'!!

At present, I am still waiting for a newbuild Timberland Endeavour X1X on the Renault Master 120 with Quickshift 6 semi-auto gearbox (ordered on 17th. July 2006), the latest news is that it should be ready for hand-over around the end of January. It was a toss-up between I.H. and Timberland for quality of finish but, taking in other options and build flexibility; Timberland came out 'head & shoulders' ahead of I.H., plus their 'customer service' at point of sale was vastly superior, based on our personal experience - obviously, others may hold a different opinion!

Chris (Greynomad)

Guest twodogron

Hi Chris, Once again thanks for your help and comments, you've picked a really nice van in the Timberland, lets hope it's ready at the end of the month and then I can wish you very happy camping..

I'm a million miles further forward now, having made contact and now awaiting some info from Gwent MH. I've also established an MMM report March 1996 on the Gwent Nomad which I shall send for if Mrs Gwent Motorhomes doesn't send her information first, she did promise.....

I shall keep trying to locate other users as there must be a few out there somewhere. Anyway I'll keep you posted as and when things happen.......

Cheers

Archived