Little orange balls!

PeterCK

We have a new Imala 625 and when I drained the waste water tank a lot of little orange balls came out, looking like baked beans!

I had a closer look and it would appear that they are little lumps of fat etc that have come from the washing up etc and the motion of the van rolls the surface fat into these little balls.

I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience or what can I do to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks

Peter

It is a good idea to drain the waste tank whenever possible, and not to drive with more than a minimal amount of waste water in it.

A lot of waste tanks are rear mounted, well behind the rear axle. If you had accumulated a significant amount of waste water when on your winding A road, that might explain the instability you experienced. It might also take your rear axle over its legal limit. 1 litre of water weighs 1kg, and any load behind the rear axle imposes more than its self-weight on that axle, with the difference being deducted from the front axle load. A lightly loaded front axle, with an overloaded rear axle, and a full waste tank (80+ litres?) could make for some quite "interesting" handling! Just a thought.

Brian Kirby - 2017-08-28 6:37 PM

It is a good idea to drain the waste tank whenever possible, and not to drive with more than a minimal amount of waste water in it.

A lot of waste tanks are rear mounted, well behind the rear axle. If you had accumulated a significant amount of waste water when on your winding A road, that might explain the instability you experienced. It might also take your rear axle over its legal limit. 1 litre of water weighs 1kg, and any load behind the rear axle imposes more than its self-weight on that axle, with the difference being deducted from the front axle load. A lightly loaded front axle, with an overloaded rear axle, and a full waste tank (80+ litres?) could make for some quite "interesting" handling! Just a thought.

Agree. If plates etc are greasy, we remove the worst with paper towel. Washing up is done in a plastic bowl on the work surface and the clean plates etc placed in the MH sink to drain. A slop bucket is used to dispose of the washing-up water and disposed of responsibly.

Got a lovely clean and non smelly waste tank :-D

Edit: this was in response to crocs post, brain not functioning today, too much sun !!!

We just wash up as we would at home when the dishwasher breaks down or we have too few pots to justify a run. We wipe out fatty pans before washing but not the plates. We empty the waste tank regularly - no more than a quarter full. So think about what you are putting down the sink and empty the waste more often.

Thanks for your thoughts, we don't use much fat, almost none, but I expect it could be an accumulation of fat etc from butter and margarine. When we had the caravan we never had this happening but of course the container was smaller so was emptied more frequently and never travelled with liquid in it as a MH can do so more frequent emptying is needed.

Thanks

Archived