Habitation Flyscreen gone slack in Cambrils

Adiebt

There was an article in the March 2017 edition of MMM about repairing a Hartalight flyscreen installed in a 2013 Bailey Approach 760. A new flyscreen would have cost £310. The DIY repair took 5 hours. In this instance 2 of the horizontal cords had broken.

However, it sounds as if yours has jammed for some reason and non of the horizontal coords have broken. You really need to understand the stringing system, as follows:

Starting with the top track (the bottom track is similar). The start of the string is anchored to an adjustable clamp in the top track (it's adjustable for tensioning purposes). The string then continues along the top track to the end where there is a pivot point. The string then does a 180 degree turn around the pivot point and then dives down into the vertical movable rail. Within the rail, the single string divides into 3 strings. These 3 strings operate the 3 lower horizontal strings in the flyscreen.

If no horizontal strings are broken, I would check the stringing system in the top or bottom tracks. Either the string has disengaged from the pivot point OR the string isn't running smoothly where it enters the vertical rail.

If the lower horizontal strings are slack then check the stringing in the top track (and vice versa for the top horizontal strings).

If that doesn't resolve your problems then probably best to wait until you return to UK. Doubt whether a local repair would be cost effective. If vehicle still under warranty then take it back to your Dealer.

Adiebt - 2017-09-08 1:19 PM

Many thanks for your reply , how do you expose the tracks and rails to check the pivots / tensioner , cheers

You haven't confirmed whether any of the horizontal strings are broken - I'll assume they aren't.

The top plastic track is usually left open, so you should be able to visually see the string. The bottom track is an aluminium extrusion with two brush inserts either side to prevent debris entering the track.

However, I found that my bottom track had collected loads of small stones, despite the brush inserts. Suggest you use a small screwdriver to winkle out any debris, perhaps with the aid of a vacuum cleaner. Perhaps this is what is jamming the system.

Ignore my comments about the adjustable tensioning clamp and the pivot point. I think the Hartalight flyscreen just has a string fixing point in the track furthest from the screen cassette as shown in the MMM article. My flyscreen is made by Horrex and does have the adjusting clamp and pivot point.

It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the complete flyscreen to investigate further. It's held together with self tapping screws and plastic corner pieces which can be prised out with a blade.

Best of luck.

Many thanks again for your reply , downloaded the MMM article and it looks a feat too far on a campsite in Spain !

The screen still functions with some gentle cajoling so will manage until we get back to Blighty !

Thanks again for all your help !

If you are here for awhile why not get one of these (Lambs Tails ) works for us all year round keeps the flies out and lets fresh air in ..our van has a fly screen which runs on a caterpillar type track and is so noisey we dont use it ..this company offer a really quick delivery service ..they are down in Valencia area .

https://pedidos.activecaravan.es/epages/eb9467.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb9467/Categories/Acc_Caravana/CORTINAS_ENTRADA

• 2 weeks later...

Archived