The Spanish Atlantic Coast

StuartO

We're almost a week into our tour, after landing at Bilbao, and I have been pleasantly suprised by the standard and availability of Aires.  Already stayed on three stunning Aires, by far the best I've ever encountered.  The coastal scenery is stunning too - really pleased we came this way.

ACSI sites are not that plentiful along the N coast but the Aires we've used have been so good that hasn't been a problem.  We've almost reached the Western end now, so we'll be using a site near A Coruna in a couple of days time.  There are more plentiful sites on the W coast.

The facilities on the Aires have been first class.  The standard service point seems to be a stainless steel box about 3 feet high; lift the lid and dump the black water, then use the tap on the nearby stainless steel post to rinse.  There is a separate tap for filling the tank - which has a smaller thread than in UK so you need a different adapter fitting, which I bought easily from a DIY store.  I think it is ½" BSP as opposed to out more usual ¾"BSP thread.  I managed the first time with a rubber tap connector.

A few people ignore the "no tables and chairs" rule (about which there are clear notices) but the majority seem to stick to the rules.  The Aire we are on at the moment is at Foz and has a grassed area along ¼ mile width of quay front, so plenty of room.

No reception of British entertainment channels here of course but we are getting Sky News clearly with our 40cm dome aerial, which was a pleasant surprise.  We can get LBC radio too, although I don't find that easy listening.

Excellent, I'll be following any further posts with interest as we're heading that way in 2 weeks time. We have 6 weeks free to explore and I've always wanted to visit the NW for the coastal and mountain scenery - such a beautiful part of Spain, so far removed from the arid regions and the Costas. Watching La Vuelta this week the weather in the area doesn't seem to have been that great but then it is an Atlantic climate. By the time we get there in October it'll probably be not very different to the weather here back home in Scotland..

I think I have the small tap adapter as part of a 3-piece Asda set with the usual one in the middle and also the extra-large one that I did need once in France.

We've used starred (especially recommended) Aires from the All the Aires book at Cabarceno 269, Ortiguiera 245, Foz 239, A Corunna 218.

Also Tapia de Casariego 244, Ferrol 221 (service point u/s) which were OK as night stops. Tapia seemed dead and all restaurants closed but we followed the noise to find a very popular back street place near the Town Hall and had a great meal. Most small shop seem to shut between 12 noon and 5pm.  Plenty of petrol stations and Lidls and there are also decent supermarkets along the main road - which are in excellent condition. 

We were told you can park overnight anywhere unless a sign says you can't - and we're trying a quiet car park on a scenic coast road tonight. Fabulous seascape view of crashing Atlantic rollers. 

We stayed at Ortigieura rather than Ortiguera. 

Now on a Site near Muros on the beach on one of the fiord-like Roas on the West coast to do laundry. Pitches are a bit chewed up but OK and there is a restaurant. Good value for 17€ PM inc dog and 10amp electric.  We are not really beach people but really enjoying a non-driving day in warm sunshine. Not too hot either, just right. Laundry is good and cheap too. 

Doing a day visit to Santiago tomorrow then another starred Aire overnight. NW Spain is wonderful motorhome country, really glad we came. 

Moved on romped on to a very nice (and quiet) waterside Aire in a small town called Arcade, at the head of the Ria de Vigo, so still in Spain, just about. Much busier Aire in Boiro last night - much busier and less appealing to us. Really enjoying NW Spain. 

We're now in Portugal, on a site near the coast - nice and quiet, in woodland but fortuately the Singapore Grand Prix is on the TV in the Bar!

No definite plan yet but I should think we'll tour Northern Portugal and then decide whether to go further S and cross back into Spain to head for Seville/Granada or, if its too hot, stay in Portugal or go back N.

Plenty of supermarkets and fuel opportunities so far, including quite a few selling LPG as well as diesel.  Mobile phone reception seems pretty universal too.  Really enjoying this touring area.

If you're touring Northern Portugal we have just come back form Lima Escape in Entre Ambos os Rios near Ponte da Barca, we spent a week there, fabulous campsite, When you first get there and if it is nearly dark, as it was for us, it is hard to see the pitches so we just went in the first one until the next morning and then found a great one. With ACSI the price is €13 including electric and 7 nights for 6. There is a bar and a restaurant on site, driver can drink, prices varying from €5.50 for the dish of the day at lunchtime to €12.50 max for a Main course on Sunday lunchtime. The Sunday lunch gets so packed you need to book on Saturday to be sure of the table you want, in or out. Food and wine are local and Portuguese. They weretaking the grapes for vinho verdeto the cooperativa while we were there. Shut on Monday. Plenty of walks, cycle rides etc.

If you're touring Northern Portugal we have just come back form Lima Escape in Entre Ambos os Rios (between both the rivers) and it is. near Ponte da Barca, we spent a week there, fabulous campsite, When you first get there and if it is nearly dark, as it was for us, it is hard to see the pitches so we just went in the first one until the next morning and then found a great one. With ACSI the price is €13 including electric and 7 nights for 6. There is a bar and a restaurant on site, driver can drink, prices varying from €5.50 for the dish of the day at lunchtime to €12.50 max for a Main course on Sunday lunchtime. The Sunday lunch gets so packed you need to book on Saturday to be sure of the table you want, in or out. Food and wine are local and Portuguese. They weretaking the grapes for vinho verdeto the cooperativa while we were there. Shut on Monday. Plenty of walks, cycle rides etc.

If you're touring Northern Portugal we have just come back form Lima Escape in Entre Ambos os Rios (between both the rivers) and it is. near Ponte da Barca, we spent a week there, fabulous campsite, When you first get there and if it is nearly dark, as it was for us, it is hard to see the pitches so we just went in the first one until the next morning and then found a great one. With ACSI the price is €13 including electric and 7 nights for 6. There is a bar and a restaurant on site, driver can drink, prices varying from €5.50 for the dish of the day at lunchtime to €12.50 max for a Main course on Sunday lunchtime. The Sunday lunch gets so packed you need to book on Saturday to be sure of the table you want, in or out. Food and wine are local and Portuguese. They weretaking the grapes for vinho verdeto the cooperativa while we were there. Shut on Monday. Plenty of walks, cycle rides etc.

Archived